Onboard NICs and USB mouse stop responding when CPU runs at 200FSB

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Under computer in device manager, it says "ACPI Uniprocessor PC." So my guess is that it's already enabled?

No, it should say Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC.

Best way to install the ACPI HAL is during a fresh install. When it asks you to press F6 to install SATA/RAID Drivers hit F5 too. It'll bring up a menu which "Standard PC" selected. Just scroll up to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" and select it.

Wow, that definitely did the trick! I'm now stable at 200x10.5, I'll probably try 200x11 shortly. Thanks!

What exactly does changing the computer type do, anyhow? :confused: I'd like to understand what's causing the problem and why, if possible. It's the engineering blood in me, hehe.

It's the cpu crapping out, one tiny little part of it.

Mine craps out past 240.

There's 3 pics in a normal pc.

Pic1, it's a copy of the 8253 chip from long ago in whatever form it may be in now.

Pic2, it's a copy of the 8254 chip from long ago, same as above.

Pic3, it's like the 8254 or something, adds more irq's(been a few weeks ok? lol, here's good info on this stuff on google too, look up "apic" and maybe other stuff)

Pic1 and pic2 hook together to make more availible hardware interrupts.

To hook together one of the irq's on each pic gets used up.

I don't have a map of it on hand but it would be easier to explain and I might able to get my facts straight heh.

Anyways irq00 is the main timer, this is divided up into memeroy refresh rate and the time.

Irq00 drives all other irq's.

Don't ask me how it works exactly, but when you speed up irq00's timer, it'll speed up the running of all other hardware irq's.

hen you do speed it up, it counts down faster, it does'nt shorten the amount it needs to count down.

I think it's the otherway around with the ram refresh, you actually shorten it, like for instance from 08 to 02, now it counts down from 2.

Anyways the 3rd pic I believe is hooked up the the 2nd pic, or maybe another irq on pic1, or it replaces pic2.

I can't remember.

It has more functionality then the other pics, it's able to handle them better anyways and it ends up being faster.

The diffrence is that you are running off the board for you're hardware interrupts, and I think you are limited to a certain amount of hardware irq's that way.

It's also a tad bit slower.

To run some on the cpu, apic on, you would still be limited to a certain amount of hardware irq's, but you get more then before I think.

With apci on you are allowed to share irq's, it's also just like apm, where you can shutdown automaticly and the power button works right in windows, etc.

Windows uses somehting called irq vectors (interrupt vectors).

It's a form of software irq's.

So windows is allready allright at sharing irq's, as long as acpi is enabled to support that I would assume.

So really what that means is that windows knows enough so far not to interrupt the cpu while it's doing some things in certain cercumstances.

So the performance of adding more hardware irq's does'nt result in a huge performance boost.

But it does help in overall quickness and and maybe hd access, other things I dn, did'nt play that much with apic on.

Just that you should know most peope have had to disable it because amd never made them to do what we have been doing with these cpus.

I think a few people may still have it enabled at higher fsbs but I dn for sure.

If they do they got a nice stepping, and hopefully it can clock high too ;), not just high fsb and apic.

That's part of what apic is anyways, best to look it up yourself if you really want to know.

My details may of been off a bit, like I said, been a little while and it took me a day at the time to finaly find a straight answer for some parts of it.

Thanks for the crash course on ACPI. I googled it some, as I understand it, it's basically a way for the OS to manage your hardware (turning off stuff when you're not using it, boosting priorities to other devices, etc).

What's the difference between:

ACPI Uniprocessor PC (what I was using before)

vs

Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC?

It would seem like they are the same to me as both are ACPI, except the first one is only "uniprocessor."

Hello all,

I have almost the same problem with my LPB. My system is running stable at 200x11. That is a locked Barton 2005+. But sometimes Lan is droping out ant mouse starts lagging, but mouse works. I tried all Hellfire bioses, the ACPI thing, nothing works :( I've tried my CPU on other machine and it is rinning stable at 220@11MHz. I think this is SB overheating problem. The stock heatsing was becomming hot like hell, then I put on SB a big heatsink made from a P3 CPU cooler with a 8mm fan, but that didn't solve the problem. I've noticed Lan is droping out then temperature from the system sensor reaches ~38-40 degrees.

I have no idea what to do, I can not overclock my CPU no more and I can't use my PC even at 200@11 MHz normaly. My CPU and NB in not overheating at all as I use watercooling on them.

Could it be that voltage on SB somehow is raised and it overheats? I could chek it, but I don't know what it should be by default.

P.S. I'm using nVidia NIC. Once Lan dropped out and NIC lost it's mac address, but it didn't happen again after I entered it manualy in the BIOS.

I used AS Ceramique on the NB,AS5 makes me nervous in that spot,some conductivity possibly.

I used a 50/50 mix of Ceramique and AS epoxy on the SB,some ppl use TIM in the center and super glue in the corners