Onboard NICs and USB mouse stop responding when CPU runs at 200FSB

As my sig says, I've got a 2600+ XP-M. Stock FSB is 166, and since the divider doesn't really work I can only run 1:1 ratios. I can run 166:166 @ 2.5-3-3-7 no problems, and it's stable.

As soon as I crank it up to 200x9.5, stuff stops working. If I have a lot of traffic going through the NICs (torrent downloading), then after awhile my onboard NICs stop working, both the nForce and the Realtek ones. Then randomly after a few minutes, it'll start working again, and then die again for no real reason. It's completely random and I don't know why.

Also, my mouse will randomly die if I leave my machine on overnight. When I turn on my monitor, my mouse won't bring the display up, I have to use the USB keyboard to get it up. Unplugging and replugging the USB mouse does absolutely nothing - in fact, when I plug it back in, it's as if the USB port has no power, because the mouse's LED doesn't even come on (when it freezes and stops responding, the LED is still on). After all this, if I try to shutdown/restart Windows, it hangs at the "Windows is shutting down" screen.

At 200x9.5, prime95 runs all night with no errors. Windows never crashes or hangs, but the NICs randomly die and restart, and the mouse dies overnight.

I'm not trying to OC past 200FSB, I just want a nice and stable system at 200x10, or 200x11 if possible. But I can't even get it stable at 200x9.5, and that's at a speed no faster than stock.

What do you guys think is the problem here? :confused:

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you should be able to hit 200x10-11 @ around 1.75v make sure u turn cpc off, that might help... also make sure thermalthrottling is off, and that your agp is set correctly. cpu should be set to optimal

other than that, you really don't want to run anything but 1:1 the other ratio's are worthless... other than that i wouldn't go above 1.8v and keep the ram around 2.9v. chipset can stay auto or 1.7/8v.

try this... if it works, try lowering some voltages and or upping the multiplier from there.

i know you prolly tried all this but it's worth a shot.

At 200x9.5, all my voltages are at auto (cpu, ram, and chipset). AGP is locked at 66MHz, on auto voltage at 1.5V. I want to try to get 200x9.5 stable before I go any higher, and clearly, even at x9.5 my system isn't stable.

I should be stable at x9.5 without having to increase the voltage right? (or maybe I'm wrong here) But would increasing CPU voltage actually fix what appears to be these randomly unrelated problems? If prime95 was reporting errors, then yeah, I'd definitely crank up the vcore, but it's not.

I guess I can give it a shot when I get home...

I will try:

CPU: 1.65V, 200x9.5

RAM: 2.7V

Chipset: Auto

What's CPC? I've never seen the thermalthrottling option, maybe I have missed it?

You should be able to yeah, because thats only 1.9ghz, plus these boards default to 1.55v on Auto anyway instead of 1.45v. Mine does anyway... But its still a possibility you need to consider really no matter how unlikely it sounds i suppose...

You haven't got your memory timings set to auto have you?

You should be able to yeah, because thats only 1.9ghz, plus these boards default to 1.55v on Auto anyway instead of 1.45v. Mine does anyway...

You haven't got your memory timings set to auto have you?

I dunno what the vcore defaults to, but the sensor reports 1.48V usually.

My memory settings are on optimal, actually. But when they're on optimal, I can run memtest for hours without any issues @ 200FSB.

I have to wonder if your mixed ram is causing problems.

I'd probably try to get it stable with just one type of ram. Maybe start with the PQI and see how it does.

I'd also suggest raising the chipset voltage to around 1.7v.

Thanks, I'll give that a try too.

I have to wonder if your mixed ram is causing problems.

I'm thinking that. Would help if we knew exactly what chips are on those ram sticks... I've used mixed ram fine on my system in the past.

Also, what Ram slots are you using for each stick?

I'm thinking that. Would help if we knew exactly what chips are on those ram sticks... I've used mixed ram fine on my system in the past.

Also, what Ram slots are you using for each stick?

I'm running dual channel, so, the 1GB in one, and the other two in the other channel. Should I try running single channel instead?

I dunno what the vcore defaults to, but the sensor reports 1.48V usually.

My memory settings are on optimal, actually. But when they're on optimal, I can run memtest for hours without any issues @ 200FSB.

Set them to Expert, Agressive, Expert and set your timings to 8,3,3,3,2.5 13,15 with the rest on Auto.

Have you tried the ACPI thing? If you go under the device manager under Computer change that to "advanced configuration and power interface (acpi) PC". That worked for me, my lan would drop around 200fsb same as yours. puTTs

Well, my NB-1 came in the mail today. I threw that on, but damn is that one loud mofo! The fan is only 40mm but it spins at like 7000rpms, it generates a lot of noise.. I think I'm going to have to get some quieter 120mm fans to offset the noise created by that dinky 40mm fan.

Anyhow, I manually set the RAM, and so far LAN seems to be be holding up in 200x9.5. I'll leave it on overnight as 200x10, with torrents and prime95 running - hopefully it'll hold up! :crosses fingers: