Need help with XP Setup on SLI-DR

My friend's got two 80GB Hitachi SATAII, and when he tries to install XP, it doesnt see a hard drive. They arent in RAID and when the PC posts, it shows the two Hitachi. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

His PC:

4400+

SLI-DR

4 x 512 OCZ Gold BH5

BFG 7800GTX

Enermax 535 SLI

is the drive partitioned?

in XP, right click on my computer and select manage. Then click on disk management. This should now show all the harddrives. Does the second drive show up here?

If so it needs to be partitioned so that it can be used. Right click on the unpartitioned space and select format. You will then see it listed with a drive letter

He just built the PC, so when he puts in the XP disk, it can't see the hard drives. When the system posts, it sees them. I've never had such a porblem, so I'm asking you guys.

Go into the BIOS and make sure you ahve SATA ports turned on, i don't think they all come on some might beon disabled. Also make sure he is flashed to the newest bios since htose are SATAII, i dunno if you need it but it might help..623-2 most likely..

My friend's got two 80GB Hitachi SATAII, and when he tries to install XP, it doesnt see a hard drive. They arent in RAID and when the PC posts, it shows the two raptors. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

His PC:

4400+

SLI-DR

4 x 512 OCZ Gold BH5

BFG 7800GTX

Enermax 535 SLI

??? Does he have 2 raptors or 2 Hitachi SATAII's or 2 of each or does it see the SATAII's as raptors? :confused:

Make sure in Advanced Bios he has "boot other device" set to "disabled" and in Genie Bios he selects "SATA" for "Sil3114 SATA control". Then he'll need the Sil3114 nonraid driver that came with the board at install time after pressing F6. This worked for me but I have only one SATA drive.

Hope it helps,

Tony

He'll need an SATA raid driver (because though they're not in raid mode, they're still on a raid chipset) to load during the "F6" portion of the windows install, via floppy.

Nope, this is a common misunderstanding. The nForce3 and 4 chipsets do not need any drivers added during the Windows installation when running in a non-RAID configuration.

Unless he is using the slower Sil3114 controller, he should be able to follow the guide linked in my signature. It explains how to install Windows on the nForce3 and 4 chipsets when not using RAID, you do NOT need a driver disk.