not a dfi board, but Im not up to speed on Intel, any advice appreciat

jeremywills

Hi all

I know its not a DFI board but a friend of mine just recently picked up an Asus p4s800 mobo and a 2.4 p4 prescott cpu. I need advice and help with it. He wanted to know if there was any overclocking that could be done with the combo. I am an AMD fanboy and since Im not up to speed with Intel and how they oc I thought Id ask some general Intel advice. Here goes. Ill try and provide as much Info as I can. I know my friend will appreciate this too.

Taking a look at the bios it appears the chip is locked with an 18 multiplier. I have options for manual, 2400, 3600 for cpu speed. When choosing manual, it brings up a whole bunch of values starting with 133/33 and upwards to 300 something. Im assuming this is the FSB adjustments? Setting the cpu on the 3600 set the preset value to 200/33, I guess thats what this quad pumped thing is all about, where they get the 800 FSB claim? At stock the cpu is supposed to be a 533 FSB chip at 2.4 gig. But we tried the 3600 option and it posted at 3.6 gig. It got into windows but the Temp alarm was beeping and flashing up a screen saying it was over the limit. So we backed it back to its stock 2.4.

That brings me to the next question, he has a stock Intel HSF. What would be a good recommendation for a replacement for the HSF and what Temp would be a good one for this CPU. Right now at 2.4 its around 70 to 71c according to Motherboard monitor. I installed that for him so he can monitor the temp all the time. I dont know whats a good temp to shoot for on these, or whats considered bad. I always have shot for 50c or less with my AMDs, so this 70 plus seems really high to me.

Temps lead me into the next question, what voltage should be run with this chip. Its at 1.3 something, Im sorry I didnt write down what its currently setup at and Im going off memory. I just need to know whats considered normal and whats too much.

Memory is 3 sticks of generic 3200 memory. Its just like I said, generic, no brand name on it, just a sticker that say 512 3200 and 2 256 3200 on the sticks. It doesnt list any timings or anything on them, or who made them or whatnot. Im assuming you dont run synched with the FSB on these intels?

Ok, thats a start, any other important info would be appreciated. Again, my apologies, Intel novice here just trying to help a friend. Mostly need info on the voltages and temps for Prescott cores. I confirmed this with CPUZ. Any other info I didnt know to ask about you think is important will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeremy

Taking a look at the bios it appears the chip is locked with an 18 multiplier. I have options for manual, 2400, 3600 for cpu speed. When choosing manual, it brings up a whole bunch of values starting with 133/33 and upwards to 300 something. Im assuming this is the FSB adjustments? Setting the cpu on the 3600 set the preset value to 200/33, I guess thats what this quad pumped thing is all about, where they get the 800 FSB claim? At stock the cpu is supposed to be a 533 FSB chip at 2.4 gig. But we tried the 3600 option and it posted at 3.6 gig. It got into windows but the Temp alarm was beeping and flashing up a screen saying it was over the limit. So we backed it back to its stock 2.4.

What is the SCode alphanumeric number on top of the chip? More than likely it is not a Prescott, but a Northwood with a 533Mhz bus.

That brings me to the next question, he has a stock Intel HSF. What would be a good recommendation for a replacement for the HSF and what Temp would be a good one for this CPU. Right now at 2.4 its around 70 to 71c according to Motherboard monitor. I installed that for him so he can monitor the temp all the time. I dont know whats a good temp to shoot for on these, or whats considered bad. I always have shot for 50c or less with my AMDs, so this 70 plus seems really high to me.

That temp has exceeding standard thermal limitations. Your best bet would probably be either a Thermalright XP-90 or XP 120 coupled with a Panaflo 90/120mm fan, respectively.

Temps lead me into the next question, what voltage should be run with this chip. Its at 1.3 something, Im sorry I didnt write down what its currently setup at and Im going off memory. I just need to know whats considered normal and whats too much.

I have seen them up to 1.5, depending on the chip. I think it would be a safe bet to not go over 1.4 volts.

Memory is 3 sticks of generic 3200 memory. Its just like I said, generic, no brand name on it, just a sticker that say 512 3200 and 2 256 3200 on the sticks. It doesnt list any timings or anything on them, or who made them or whatnot. Im assuming you dont run synched with the FSB on these intels?

If they are not decent quality RAM, I would set a divider (such as 5:4 or even 3:2) in the BIOS to keep their temps down and to see what the limit of the CPU is.

As for the RAM you could stick it in your rig and see if it has any SPD. Set your BIOS to time the ram automatically by SPD then use CPUz in windows to get a reading of the SPD info.

took a quick look at the cpuz and it had several ratings for 133, 166, and 200, for the 200 it was rated 2.5,4,4,8 according to cpuz on the 256 sticks and 2.5, 3,3,7 is what it reported on the 512 stick

we currently have it set to auto and it picked up on the 2.5,4,4,8 for all the sticks

According to it its saying Prescott, but again Ill have to pull the stock HSF and take a peek at whats etched up on top, also he said the shop he bought the stuff from seated the HSF, Im assuming it uses one of those thermalpads, I told him we probably should scrape that off and use a thin layer of AS5 and see if it might help bring the temp down a bit

Ill have a chance to inspect the chip then.

So when you say divider, where is that in the bios, or more exactly how is it worded, because I dont remember seeing anything in there, other than the whole 200/33, 166/33, etc... that seemed to control the FSB stuff

again my apologies on not knowing the intel setups

hehehe first thing he said was ouch was in complaint to 40 something bucks for a xp 90 and a panaflo fan, i was like look dude, you will be out whatever that cpu cost if you burn that mutha up, whats it worth it to you now, i think i have him convinced to buy one, he will just have to wait next paycheck i guess, maybe ill be nice and loan him an advance, i posted on a few other forums and they were all like wow, thats way too high of a temp, so Ill try and help him out there, once we have the fan popped off, we can confirm the etching on the chip, so until then he will just have to run it as is and we can entertain the ocing efforts then, cheers all

thanks for the tips, really cool of DFI guys to help a feller out without a DFI board

oh yea im still not sure of this divider thing, this bios is retarded if you ask me, not as friendly as some others i have looked at

Jeremy

hes gonna do it on fri, so thanks dude, ill let you know what the results are when we have some, trying to convince him to dump this board and either get a DFI for the p4 or go A64 and get a NF4 Ultra D :D

I dont think that Asus is all that, anyhow, good day to you

ok, we pulled that HSF, scraped off that thermal pad crap, i applied some AS5, it dropped the temp about 5 degrees, but i know scraping off that thermal pad helped alot, even if we just had used the normal white grease, im hoping once it cures and has been turned off and on a few times the temp might even drop a bit more once its settled

ok heres the info off the top of the chip

intel p4, 2.4ghz/1m/533

sl88f costa rica

3507a355

4507b132

ok a few things I would like to mention,

cpu external is set to 166/33, the 33 should mean the pci bus is at 33, this is the only way i can see in this bios to set the pci at 33, thats correct right

cpu vcore it set to 1.3750, cpuz and the asus software also reports its at 1375

so that should be good

spd is 2.5,3,3,7 not 2.5,4,4,8 like i originally stated

this option im not sure of, chipset clock mode set to asynched, what does that mean?

finally, theres an option in there called delay transaction, this is set to enable, what is this?

ok thats what I have to report now, the computers running at 3 gig, we are just going to leave it at that for now. It seems stable, temps are high 60s now, but its not beeping at us and trying to shut it off. Once we can get ahold of a HSF thats a bit better we can maybe try for more but he doesnt want to chance burning up the chip.

I really really appreciate the advice. Let me know off that info if the chip really is a prescott. CPUz says it is, so I would assume so.

As usual, any other info you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Jeremy

- According to Intel's spec finder, it is a Prescott. In all the years I have been working with Intel processors, I have never come across a 533Mhz bus Prescott. Learn something new everyday!

http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/d...asp?sspec=sl88f

- The CPU VID limitation is from 1.250 to 1.400v so you are fine with that.

- The asynched setting imposes a delay within the chipset if the CPU and Memory are not running 1:1, i.e. same bus speed. If you are running at a 1:1 ratio, then change the setting.

- Delayed Transaction: If the PCI bus is busy during the time data needs to be transferred, then it will be delayed until a point where all of the data can be 'burst transferred'. I set this for disabled on all the P4 machines I build as it can cause a performance hit during stock and overclocked instances.

ok, thanks for the tips, even though its supposed to be a 533 cpu it seems to be able to run the 3.6 at 800 just fine, we temporarily ran it again at this speed to see what it would do temp wise once we ditched the thermal pad crap

it was running at 73 to 74, so like right at the cut off of when the board started to complain etc.... before it would shut off, so maybe theres hope being a prescott core with some better cooling we can have him run with 3.6, that would rock, for now set at close to 3, its what a 664 fsb it seems to love that, i told him why run at 2.4 when its running at 3 just fine it seems, if he buys a HSF and can keep the temp under 70, I think we will be good at 3.6 on an 800 FSB, so thanks again

Ill change those bios settings next time im over there hopefully on fri if we buy a new HSF, I dont think he wants to wait for mail order so whatever compusa has onhand should be good, anything has to be better than that stock HSF, the coolermaster hyper48 and the zalman cnps7000 are always instock when I go and what appears to me to be good choices compared to the xp90, i just wish thermalright would do more retail then just mail order so you didnt have to wait a few days for ups, oh well, no one around here sells them locally

have a nice evening sir