GPU Core Temps are killing me!!!

My GPU Cores are hitting 72c very fast when I load FarCry. Is this normal? I am trying low settings with 1152pixels..

They idle around 51-55c with env at 43-45c. Someone suggest some solutions...lol :) before I fry'em up. I am thinking of putting some as5 on them and some vantec ramsinks if they help.

Ideas/suggestions welcome....

Thanks,

Rex

Those temps are fine for a GPU. In fact, the default shut off temp for the GPU is 135C.

I checked my GPU settings and 145c is given as core slowdown temperature. I can't change that unless I use RivaTuner. However, I wonder the chipset sitting just below those GPUs will become hotter too...right now its at 51c. What's acceptable for chipset?

Thanks,

Rex

Are you still using stock cooling on the GPU's

Yes. I read reviews on Anandtech that Leadtek has best cooling. I was thinking of getting Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 6 NV6 FX5700/PCIe 6200-6600GT REV2 but, thought to save 50 bucks if not needed. Now I am wondering if I should go ahead and spend those 50 bucks...as they exhaust the air out of the case.

Thanks,

Rex

Anything up to 60C load should be OK for the chipset, and idle it should be anywhere from 45C-50C.

When I got the mobo, I forgot to do one thing and that was to apply AS5 on the chipset.. :( that would have shaved at least 2-5c off the temps.

- Rex

Those temps are fine the GPU temp might limit your OC but is not exatly harmfull. I was able to OC to 412 core even though I started around 70. With WC and volt mods I was only able to gain 40Mh more.

What is Voltmod? :) I am not sure if I understand...are you talking abt upping or lowering GPU voltage?

Also, mine is overclocked from factory...clocks are 560Mhz instead of 500Mhz. Now, has anyone tried NV6 (arctic cooling) with the cards? Do they help?

Thanks

Rex

What is Voltmod? :) I am not sure if I understand...are you talking abt upping or lowering GPU voltage?

Also, mine is overclocked from factory...clocks are 560Mhz instead of 500Mhz. Now, has anyone tried NV6 (arctic cooling) with the cards? Do they help?

Thanks

Rex

I increased volts to 1.4 by changing the cards bios after going to water cooling. I have the 6800 GT the stock is 350. The 6800 GT is very similar technology with more pipelines but is slower clock rate due to heat and other factors associated with the extra pipelines.