Sign in to follow this  
Stangs55

New SLI-DR Chipset @ 52 deg C?! Is this bad?

SWEET! Just played some HDR Far Cry for about 20 minutes....minimized....and my chipset was at 68c!?!?!?!!??!?!

Dear DFI, wtf?

Are these temps safe?

SWEET! Just played some HDR Far Cry for about 20 minutes....minimized....and my chipset was at 68c!?!?!?!!??!?!

Are these temps safe?

Its way high. 60 is plenty safe > 65 is geting into the danger zone.

I read the whole thread and do not see a bios mentioned. As I understand it some bios read temps a little differently and the only way to truely know is a thermal probe.

Have you redone your chipset with AS5 yet ? **(I used ceramique when I redid one and it dropped 5 c.)

In this post by mucker, see the attachment. Also see the whole thread for creative solutions.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...88&postcount=36

The addition of a fan (Ghetto mod) as shown in the above attachment should help.

Other than that its time for a blowhole up top and more fans and or improved circulation overall.

Whats temps with the side off and a 80 mm fan directed at it ?

Break out the dremmel, few things are perfect and this one your going to have to finessee till you are satisfied with temps.

Its way high. 60 is plenty safe > 65 is geting into the danger zone.

I read the whole thread and do not see a bios mentioned. As I understand it some bios read temps a little differently and the only way to truely know is a thermal probe.

Have you redone your chipset with AS5 yet ? **(I used ceramique when I redid one and it dropped 5 c.)

In this post by mucker, see the attachment. Also see the whole thread for creative solutions.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...88&postcount=36

The addition of a fan (Ghetto mod) as shown in the above attachment should help.

Other than that its time for a blowhole up top and more fans and or improved circulation overall.

Whats temps with the side off and a 80 mm fan directed at it ?

Break out the dremmel, few things are perfect and this one your going to have to finessee till you are satisfied with temps.

Mkay...AS5 may lower my temp by 5c...burrowing a hole in the side of my case to add another side fan to blow on my chipset may help a couple degrees....yadda yadda....

But this just absoloutly blows my mind....I bought this DFI board b/c I've always heard that they are the best of the best...I put aside the extra cash, saved the money....yet their top of the line board can't properly hand what's it's supposed to (SLI)? This just doesn't make sense to me...

i guess my main question is can the fan be removed without taking the board out? I have to RMA my vid card for a week anyway so ill be able to access it, but do i need to remove teh board out of the case or can i get it out from the top?

Yes, you need to remove the motherboard. The chipset fan is attached with little plugs that need to be pinched and pushed from the other side. I AS5'd mine a couple days ago, which helps a little bit.

Does anyone know if there's enough clearance for a waterblock? I've been wanting to watercool for years, and this might be the perfect excuse.

I too have temps that reach 60c. I have been running like this for months without problem. Whatever, seems fine and we all seem to be in the same boat. I couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing off to apply AS5 but I see from the above post you have to take the motherboard off and pinch the damn thing. I just wish the $350 I spent on a second 6800GT wasn't a waste as I cannot get my SLI to work for nothing.

most of nf4 boards chipsets run hot, and their location sucks, (had to order my watercooler for the chipset from italy as no us made one would fit under the graphics card)

board should be set up wednesday/thursday and water a few days later, I will post temps with and without water and also with my fans at 12v and at something aproaching quite.

I too have temps that reach 60c. I have been running like this for months without problem. Whatever, seems fine and we all seem to be in the same boat. I couldn't figure out how to get the damn thing off to apply AS5 but I see from the above post you have to take the motherboard off and pinch the damn thing. I just wish the $350 I spent on a second 6800GT wasn't a waste as I cannot get my SLI to work for nothing.

I did not need to take it off I did it for the SLI mod not to change the compound. See if you cant borrow a better PSU or slave in a second if you know how- you are asking for issues with a PSU that is at the minimum rated power running SLI. You can always send it to me I can test it out for you ;)

How do i get MBM to read temps off my board, when i install MBM theres no support for my model motherboard ?

granted this is only running for 30 minutes or so and was with my 6800gt non sli'd but it was right over the cooler...

http://img190.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf00026zo.jpg

here it is as i type. only folding now with a 7800gtx in the second slot, as5 of course on the chipset cooler...

http://img278.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chipset7tj.jpg

no doubt its a regretable placement but i think good case air flow goes a long way. i have 2 80mm fron intakes that blow across the area and set on low (fan controller) they provide a nice breeze.

sli'd is more difficult but like muckers thread (i miss mucker) shows, a fan rigged there will help alot.

Hi,

When the stock chipset fan on my SLI-DR died (after only the first day of usage), I had to replace the fan with the chipset fan on my MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum SLI, since I did not have a spare chipset cooler then. My system would reboot or BSOD each time the chipset temperature exceeded around 60 degrees. After I replaced it with a Vantec Iceberg copper, my chipset temperature usually idles at around 44-47 degrees, and typical load temperature is around 49-55. Maybe you should look at replacing your cooler? But I might add that when my DFI stock fan was running fine, I didn't have a problem at all. So I don't know what's causing your temperature to be so high.