Going 64bit = Need Purchasing Advice

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys! I don't think I am going X2 for the time being. Can you say budget? Same what I am looking for is the XP2600M for the NF4s, if you know what I mean. In other words, what's the chip that will give you the most OC in overall MHZ and FSB. I like to think in terms of percentage. In other words, the XP2600 usually gave you at least a 25% gain in MHZ and another 35% in FSB (IE, 2 GHZ to 2.5 GHZ and 333MHZ FSB to 500 MHZ). So what I am looking for is a 64 equivalent to that chip and memory to support it with spending the least waching! The most strain I put on my system is gaming and video transcoding. I don't even need heavy duty multitasking.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

just a decent "what to buy" guide for enthusiasts.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61554

if i were you i would pick up an x2 3800. (should be out in the next few weeks) if you can't pull the 350-400 for that cpu pick up a venice 3000.

You rock bro, that's a great guide. I love how they only mention DFI mobos! Yeah we rock :D

Thanks guys! I don't think I am going X2 for the time being. Can you say budget? Same what I am looking for is the XP2600M for the NF4s, if you know what I mean. In other words, what's the chip that will give you the most OC in overall MHZ and FSB. I like to think in terms of percentage. In other words, the XP2600 usually gave you at least a 25% gain in MHZ and another 35% in FSB (IE, 2 GHZ to 2.5 GHZ and 333MHZ FSB to 500 MHZ). So what I am looking for is a 64 equivalent to that chip and memory to support it with spending the least waching! The most strain I put on my system is gaming and video transcoding. I don't even need heavy duty multitasking.

Thanks guys, keep 'em coming!

Theres No doubt about it. What you want is a 3000 Venice core and some great memory to match it. Best bang for the buck in my book and you can always upgrade the CPU later if needed..

Theres No doubt about it. What you want is a 3000 Venice core and some great memory to match it. Best bang for the buck in my book and you can always upgrade the CPU later if needed..

Hey people, I'm confused... what's the difference between the first two procs listed on this page:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....Submit=Property

One has a 1000 MHZ FSB and the other, "Inegrated on chip FSB" :confused:

Chris, one's retail and one's OEM, that's all.

Advice: always take newegg's spec details with a large dose of salt. Great etailer otherwise. :nod:

I thought the same thing but what doesn't make sense is that the retail unit (The one with the fan and heat sync) is $3.00 cheaper!?

all venices, sandy's, and x2's OC to about the same 2.7 or 2.8 on air. If you want a high OC then the 3000+ is it. stock is 1.8, and when brought up to 2.7 (like mine) is a 53% OC on air. It can't be beaten, especially for 120 bucks. Now if you want to future proof it and you're willing to spend ALOT more then get the x2, and in a couple years they'll be a bunch of games/apps that will take advantage of it.

all venices, sandy's, and x2's OC to about the same 2.7 or 2.8 on air. If you want a high OC then the 3000+ is it. stock is 1.8, and when brought up to 2.7 (like mine) is a 53% OC on air. It can't be beaten, especially for 120 bucks. Now if you want to future proof it and you're willing to spend ALOT more then get the x2, and in a couple years they'll be a bunch of games/apps that will take advantage of it.

Cool, I'll upgrade to X2 down the road when the prices drop.

One final question:

Between the NF4 SLI UT board and the NF4 SLI Nvidia board, the only differencec is the raid and lan chip, correct?

Thanks again guys, you all have helped me with my decision soooo much. Venice 3000 it is!