Sign in to follow this  
(Rockafella)

Worried about cracking core after HIS removal?

I found a really good way to stop that core from cracking and shave off about 10c on your cpu temp.

What you will need after removing IHS.

A razor and some all copper gasket sealer from Autozone or car parts store.

I tried it using the cpu naked and shaved off about 5c. Using this proceedure however I managed to shave off 10c+. This method is alot easier and doesnt require you to modify your cpu bracket. After succesfully removing your IHS. Clean off the factory thermal paste using isopropyl alcohol. Clean it ver good. Take your razor and cut off the factory black sealer around the cpu. Make sure you let your CPU dry really good after cleaning it so the sealer will stick good. Then take some AS5 thermal paste and put a drop on the core. Also put a drop on the back side of the IHS. Take a plastic sandwhich baggy put you fingure in it and smear the AS5 in circular motion on the inside of the IHS. Take your all copper gasket sealer and put a little on your razor and apply enough to seal the IHS to the CPU. Go all the way around the IHS. Don't over apply you dont need alot. Just enough to seal the gap. Sit the IHS back on the core staight. Push down on the IHS to assure you have made good contact. Then take a q-tip with alcohol and rub around the IHS to remove the extra gasket sealer. Let it cure for about 20 min. The clean the top of the IHS the same way. Apply AS5 to the top of the HIS and to your heatsink. Mount your heatsink and your done! I have tried this and it is working perfectly. This proceedure works just as well or better than running it naked. Also you do not have to worry about cracking your core or modifying your CPU bracket.

size.jpg

Im using a Venus + 12 with the fallowing settings. My startup voltage is 1.350, vcore 1.350 + 123% for special. My Cpu speed is at 2835 still testing. My temp full load in OCCT 40c! Still testing!

I am not responsible for any damage you may cause to your system. I have throughly tested this proceedure and it works flawlessly.

Guest Ryn

nice! i do hope that you have some pics on how you did it

#1 = READ THE FRIGGIN RULES DAMMIT

#2 =

This proceedure works just as well or better than running it naked. Also you do not have to worry about cracking your core or modifying your CPU bracket.

no it doesnt. bare cpu is better than any cpu with the heatspreader (we've tested this). Why?

bare core + heatsink = direct contact with the cpu

bare core + heatspreader + heatsink = layer of metal between the core and the heatsink.

also I highly recommend you do not use ANY kind of conductive material on a cpu...AS5 on the cache core only and be careful with it...but do not use any conductive material on the cpu core (besides the cache). This is very bad idea.

if you are going to take the heatspreader off...leave it off.

Wow, the guy said he tried that and it worked for him.. ahem why would he lie ??

he just ventured on somethin and it went ok..

he never said what YOU did or tested was full of ., come on... AG

hmm, i know o guy who did the same thing, but for another reason....

(his cpu wouldn't start with the IHS off, donno why...)

and he also got a lowered temp with about 5c.

but i have to agree with AG, direkt contact with the core must be the best way to get good temps...

aint sayin AG the theory and test are wrong but obviously not absolute..

rocka did it his way and got good results...

Yep Rockafella got great results and thats great for him, well done :) but its obvious you will get lower temps running it nekid, and thats what Angry is saying. Heatsink/Core or Heatsink/IHS/Core, just think about it ;)

I understand him completely when he says using copper gasket sealant isn't the greatest idea too. Its very risky, and get a bit in the wrong place and you've got a dead chip... A non-conductive alternative would be a better idea.

Other than being pissed cause rockafella wasn't following the rules after 142 posts, I guess I fail to see what everyone is upset about. :confused: the rock sure seems like a good guy and knowledgeable but sometimes temps drop just from a reseating. I'm at 2820 at 37 degrees with a super lapped XP120. So if that 43 is idle I'm gonna shrug.

And so you know Angry doesn't agree with me that lapping helps on Thermalrights. Angry wasn't thrilled with my "war mod" posts either. :)

But I didn't freak out about and neither did rockafella.

metal-to-metal sure makes more sense to me. I completely agree with the caution to NOT use ANY conductive material in the area. I won't even use AS5 on a chipset or a video card. I think it's too risky.

No offense to any one in particular but more and more posters "feel" that anything that is a negative is an affront to them and start flaming. Just like a guy telling davidhammock200 how great his new Thermaltake PSU is. Trust me, david will respond with a "NO IT'S NOT".

Let's chill a little here and wait for rockafella to post 800x600 pics so we understand his idea a little better. iT MAY not give better temps but it MAY prevent the cores from being crushed. (Which is what I think Rockafella was trying to say and threw in the lowered temps for good measure.)