An Open Letter from ExRoadie

red930

An open letter from ExRoadie to forum members:

One of the most important things a forum member can do is read. Read every thread even though you might not think it's very interesting.

When I first became interested in the DFI nF2 Lanparty Ultra B, I spent at least four and probably six weeks lurking in the old amdmb forum. I learned everything there was about the board so I was able to make an intelligent decision about my purchase.

Once I had the board and other components in my hands the build went flawlessly. At about this time I registered and became a member of the forum. I was able to offer advice about the board to other members and continued to learn.

In May of 2004, Angry_Games and RGone started dfi-street.com so I followed. In a very short time membership grew tremendously.

The release of the DFI nF3 250Gb A64 board saw another large increase in forum membership. I was lucky enough to be building a new media PC so I got the nF3 250Gb and moved the nF2 Ultra B to the media room.

This time I was on the leading edge of a motherboard release but things went smoothly even though we were learning about the difference between the two locked SATA ports and the two ports that would limit your overclocks to 240.

The nF4 motherboards were a huge jump in performance but we learned they required a narrow range of high performance power supplies. I personally tested nine different power supplies from a 365W 20pin Enermax to a 500W 24pin Fortron Blue Storm.

We quickly learned that what worked and what didn't. We posted warnings and suggestions(and still do to this day) so that forum members would have the best chance of getting their rig up and running.

Memory on the nF4 boards was another area of concern. Value RAM has a very slim chance of booting much less running properly on the boards. I got two sticks of PQI Turbo RAM with TCCD modules on the Brainpower PCB. Overclocking was a breeze. I also learned that my 3200 Winchester was a limiting factor when the OCZ DFI Special PC-5000 RAM came out. I worked with RGone for a couple of days tweaking my BIOS. I eventually topped out at 333X8 with some incredible memory bandwidth numbers.

THunDA and I worked very hard on the nF4 Ultra mod to SLI and the nF4-D mod to SATA II and SLI mod. Soundx98 and a dedicated core group spent countless hours working out the proper setup for MBM5 on the nF4 boards. davidhammock200 has taken the bull by the horns on the power supply issues.

These are just a few of the dedicated forum members that would like to see dfi-street remain a viable forum for its members.

The bottom line...

Read like your life depends upon it.

Don't be so arrogant that you think you have nothing more to learn.

Search, search, search!

The forum members will be happy to help you out by pointing you in the right direction when you are looking for information.

We are here because we like to help.

We are constantly learning new things about these boards and computers in general.

If you want to get mean and hostile just remember that we probably won't want to help you.

When things turn ugly we won't be around.

All of us have lives outside this forum, it is not the most important thing in our lives. It won't take much to leave this place to implode upon its self.

This is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, I'm outta here!

ExRoadie

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to get mean and hostile just remember that we probably won't want to help you.

When things turn ugly we won't be around.

All of us have lives outside this forum, it is not the most important thing in our lives. It won't take much to leave this place to implode upon its self.

This is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, I'm outta here!

I think that was very well said Ex, and again exemplifies your intelligence and dedication to this board and to other users. I for one am grateful for all you do.

Bryan

Don't be so arrogant that you think you have nothing more to learn.

The beggining of wisdom is to know how much you really dont know.

I think our most frustrated users are the ones that assume that they know what is going on without much reasearch and cant get past a simple mistep.

Guest Bulldog

Normally I (and most other MB technicians in the business) will not post on forums for the exact reasons Ex-Roadie has stated. A Forum is an expression of free speech, and all reasonable comments are welcome. But in every large group of people there are some who will always want to be right no matter the reason. These individuals are the reasons why most MB techs shy away from forums. I am glad to see, however that the dedicated members of this forum are prevailing.

@Ex-Roadie I am in complete agreeance with your statement. If more people could realize some of these basic truths about MBs then I, and other MB techs would be more willing to make our presence known.

well, I'm just a noob in the scheme of things, but for what it is worth, I whole-heartedly agree with everything that Ex-Roadie has said.

I'm one of the many dfi-street success stories :) . Some of you will have heard my story before (sorry lol), but for those of you that haven't....

I read a few reviews that said that the DFI LanParty nF4 SLI DR was the latest and greatest mobo for over-clocking (I'd mildly o/c'd my old Abit and Asus athlon XP boards). So I tried to buy one, but my supplier (Nintek, Australia) recommended I join dfi-street and do a bit of research before I bit off more than I could chew :D . Now, there is an ethical supplier lol.

So I joined, and I lurked. I read all the stickies, and started to ask a few questions. I bought all the bits and put them together like Lego, installed XP Pro SP2, and booted with bios 25/1. Worked first time, and I haven't looked backed. I've gone from a single Leadtech 6600GT TDH Extreme to a pair in sli, and I've updated the bios a few times, and everything has been plain sailing.

Thing is, if I hadn't come here and done a bucket-load of reading, and been helped by Ex-Roadie (who assured me that my PQI ram was adequate), R-Gone, A_G, cpu-z, David Hammock (who is why I have an OCZ PowerStream 520 lol) and all the others, I would have come unstuck, very messily.

As it is, nothing has gone wrong for me (well, for more than half an hour anyway) and it is almost like I want to say to people "You're having difficulties with a DFI board? Come on, you're kidding , right?"

OK, I've embarrassed myself now, so I'll get off my soap-box. I've been a member of a lot of web forums and this one is the best. Granted, there are a few here who expect everything to be served to them on a platter, but they are in the minority.

I'm just happy that I'm able now to help some of those who ask, instead of just asking for help.

ricey

WOW!!! ExRoadie you said a mouthful with a big dose of reality. I agree 110% of what you said. I come here 1..for fun...2..because I like helping others...3..In my qwest to help others I find solutions to problems i haven't heard before which increases my knowledge of computers.

Old statement holds true...you get out what you put in!!!! I agree when it stops being fun I am out also.

BTW a lot of the guys you mention including your self have helped me tremendously even though you may not know it ;). Because most of the time I don't ask the question when I need a answer. I instead search the forums. I reasearched this dang NF4 board for 5 months before I took the plunge. Read all I could read until my eyes were bleeding..lol. By the time I got the board I had at least 15 post bookmarked and had a pretty good idea of how to get this thing running with ease and were the snags were at thank to you early adopters.

No need to stress though as I am sure the change coming will help out. Like I told AG a few weeks ago if you guys need help feel free to call onme. I will do what I can as long as it doesn't interfere with my commentment to another site where I am a mod ;)

Normally I (and most other MB technicians in the business) will not post on forums for the exact reasons Ex-Roadie has stated. A Forum is an expression of free speech, and all reasonable comments are welcome. But in every large group of people there are some who will always want to be right no matter the reason. These individuals are the reasons why most MB techs shy away from forums. I am glad to see, however that the dedicated members of this forum are prevailing.

@Ex-Roadie I am in complete agreeance with your statement. If more people could realize some of these basic truths about MBs then I, and other MB techs would be more willing to make our presence known.

Welcome Bulldog :) Its great to see a DFI Europe rep here even if its just to say hello and make your presence known. Us European DFI users would love to see more of a presence from you guys here, even if its just to answer the odd DFI Europe RMA related question. I can thoroughly understand why you might have declined and shy away though, for the very reasons detailed in this thread. We've all seen it at other forums as you point out, but hopefully thats something we can root out here because there are many, many great members at these forums.

Never a truer word spoken Ex-Roadie as everyone will agree, and definitely something that needed to be aired.

I believe the majority of ppl are grateful for these forums and all the work its great, dedicated members put in. I know i am, and i'm sure that everyone can work together to make these forums even greater than what they already are :)

Guest Bulldog

@ Shinobi

Indeed if you or any other Europeans have any RMA or Technical issues then you may address them to me. I do keep a careful eye on what is discussed here even if I don't have time to post regularily.

-Sorry for this minor thread-jack