Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ryn_merged

OCZ or GeIL?

Guest Ryn

hi guys. i currently have a Geil Ultra-X (512x2) and i'm thinking if the OCZ EL DDR PC-4000 Dual Channel Gold Rev 2 (512x2) would be a good replacement? thanks in advance :)

I think the ram you're talking about is the same as mine, and aren't recommended for these boards. That said, they work pretty good for me, after hours of playing with settings, have got them OC'd and stable.

what speed/timings are those geil's?

Guest Ryn

the Geil's are 2-2-2-5, problem is i'm having a hard time oc'ing it. got thousands of error on memtest if the fsb is anything above 215. although i'll still try to burn-in this mems

Are these GeIL PC3200 Ultra-X modules and what is the code on the back of these as they can be either TCCD or UTT?

Guest Ryn

i believe they are BH-5 since i can't get them to boot at CAS 3. i'll post the code here later

OK that is likely if they cannot boot at CAS3, so if they are PC3200 modules and have PN-1243 then these are UTT and really need high Vdimm to get them going.

Try 2-2-2-5 @ v3.0 and see if that gets you above 215... you will likely need to go above 3.2v and will require some burnin.

EDIT: Best have these in the yellow slots too.

Guest Ryn
OK that is likely if they cannot boot at CAS3, so if they are PC3200 modules and have PN-1243 then these are UTT and really need high Vdimm to get them going.

Try 2-2-2-5 @ v3.0 and see if that gets you above 215... you will likely need to go above 3.2v and will require some burnin.

EDIT: Best have these in the yellow slots too.

problem is that my board tops on 3.1V, i know there are modded bios out there that has an option of up to 3.4Vdimm and above but i think you have to mod your psu to enable working it at 3.2Vdimm and above. is there any other way that i can use a 3.2Vdimm without modding the PSU? thanks

Apologies --- was having trouble reading the MB type and read nF4 rather nF3.

Search the threads here for booster and mods that may help you..

But giving the modules 3.0 3.1V should help you over 215.

problem is that my board tops on 3.1V, i know there are modded bios out there that has an option of up to 3.4Vdimm and above but i think you have to mod your psu to enable working it at 3.2Vdimm and above. is there any other way that i can use a 3.2Vdimm without modding the PSU? thanks

RYN you can buy a power supply with adjustable rails like the OCZ Powerstream 520 or 600 and use it with out any mod.

Also if your looking for a good replacement for your memory try the OCZ gold 3200,new BH5-2 2 2 5 Timmings.AG said there great for overclocking and recomends them.Ive got 1 gig of original corsair 3500 BH5 and 1 gig of original mushkin 3500 BH5 memory and its great.