New A64 system purchase, seeking input!

I'm graduating from the Athlon XP market, and I'm looking at the new A64 Cores. I was planning to get a 3000 Venice, but do you think I should splurge on a San Diego 3700?

Here's my list:

Lian Li PC-6077 Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

$105.00

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

$132.00

eVGA 256-P2-N376-AX Geforce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

$359.00 -$14.00 Instant $345.00

OCZ ModStream OCZ52012U ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail

$105.00

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail

$323.00

OCZ EL Platinum Revision 2 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ4001024ELDCPER2-K - Retail

$169.95

SAMSUNG Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Windows 98SE/ ME/ 2000/ XP - OEM

$8.99

2 count. HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 HDS728080PLA380 -0A30356 80GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM (for Raid 0)

$53.75 $107.50

Logitech Cordless Desktop MX3100 967513-0403 2-Tone PS/2 RF Wireless Standard Keyboard Mouse Included - Retail

$113.87

NEC Black IDE DVD Burner Model ND-3540A - OEM

$46.99

Subtotal: $1,457.30

Would anyone recommend those Hitachis? Does Sata II actually make a difference?

Also, VERY IMPORTANT: Which memory would work best in this new system, the new Platinum Rev. 2 or my old EB 3500? I'm giving my old Athlon XP system to my brother.

yes>the new Platinum Rev. 2 Good sensible looking build with most parts and pieces as generally known to work. Good sharp forethought.

Now here is the rest of the get going information that you can study and memorize as it is the best group of get going material I have seen.

Posted below is what most find needing real attention as some early steps. I will also add that the users that gather in the 64 bit forums at www.dfi-street.com are real world users on a daily basis of the DFI NF4 series of boards. The forums are the gathering place where the users have come mostly with problems to start with and sort the problems and many stay to help others.

Appropiate power suppy:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...75&postcount=13 Official statement on 24 pin...

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854 Later P/s thread with real recommends. Davidhammock200.

Four power inputs for the board:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...367&postcount=2 Pics of FOUR power connectors by "sharp".

Basic Configuration for WinXP install:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=49 Mini How to Setup...by Ed...

Basic Memory Configuration Guide:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11397 DFI NF4 Memory Setup Guide by johnr66...

The real way to clear the CMOS:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...702&postcount=4 DFI official method to clear cmos.

Sir, you will need to avail yourself of this sort of information and bring your setttings and components into compliance or in fact you will feel the board is defected when in fact it is not as the people who spent the time to write up these guides have proven in their own moves to stability and speed on a very tweakable type enthusiast board. Thank you.

RGone...

Actually, scratch that ModStream. I just bought a PowerStream 520 off ebay for $94 after rebate :D

I will definately do the reading that is necessary for this mobo if that's what it takes to work with the best. Thanks for the post RGone!

I still wanna know about the HDDs as well as the vid card. I'd like to spend less than $400 for a 6800GT but we'll see...

Actually, scratch that ModStream. I just bought a PowerStream 520 off ebay for $94 after rebate :D

I will definately do the reading that is necessary for this mobo if that's what it takes to work with the best. Thanks for the post RGone!

I still wanna know about the HDDs as well as the vid card. I'd like to spend less than $400 for a 6800GT but we'll see...

Nice. The PS PSU is better anyway :nod: . The Hitachi SATA II HDD's rock you will love em. I also have the EVGA 6800GT and I like it. Pretty good oc'er I get 425/1300 from it :nod: .

Look in the other topics forum for HDD benchmarks and that should answer your HDD questions don't take my word for it :) . Go with Rev'2 also I sold my eb's for rev2's to use with this board.

Overall you have some good choices. the only thing I dont like if the wireless combo but that is more of a personal choice. Good luck with your build you should enjoy it. BTW if you like or want to multi task you may want to consider a X2 CPU.

I just moved up from an XP 2400+ myself, and my system is similar to yours in many ways. It is obvious you have spent some time picking these components, but it might be useful if I offer you a glimpse of what I have experienced with my system.

Case: I love Lian-Li cases, I just changed from a PC-60 that I've had for years to an Antec Performance One P160.

ZipZoomFly "> ZipZoomFly has it for $94.99. That's ~$110 after ground shipping and ~$135 2day. Newegg has it for $95 with $16 3-day (UPS or Fedex). This case is a bit lighter than the Lian-Li, has mounts for two 120mm Fans, an optional side w/window (mine's without), an integrated LCD with two temperature probes, front 1394ax1, 2xUSB2.0,headphones/microphone. It has a removable motherboard tray, drive rails for 5.25" drives (with 2 drive covers), and individual removable 3.5" hard drive trays. Some aspects of the case's construction seem slightly inferior to that of Lian-Li's, but it also seems to be functionally superior in other areas. Watch out for sharp edges if you spend hours routing cables through the holes in the case like I do. Great positive about this case, by the way, it's roomy and has plenty of little holes to run cables with. Also, being that I've built three different machines with this case, the front panel cables are plenty long enough for the Ultra-D, but I should mention that I had trouble with all three cases being delivered with overtightened screws. I mean OVERTIGHTENED.

Video card: Being that you aren't getting an SLI board (unless you're planning to perform a mod, I'm not even sure if it works with the latest drivers), have you considered using an ATI X800 XL instead of the 6800GT? I'm using the MSI X800 XL 256Mb card with HDTV-out, Dual-DVI, and VIVO.ZipZoomFly has it for $284 with free 2-day shipping right now. I currently have the card overclocked at 435 core/542 mem. This isn't phenomenal, but it's an attractive and relatively quiet card that is comparable to the 6800 GT and ~$60 cheaper. Of course, there are also a few cards in the $275 price range.

Memory: I'm using OCZ DDR 4000 Gold Revision 2 ([email protected] 2T [2.8v])

Rather than run a memory divider, I decided to give this memory a shot and keep the 10x multiplier and attempt a 10mhz overclock to achieve 2600mhz on my 3200+ Venice. It has worked beautifully, in fact I achieved 2800mhz pretty easily but it required a bit more cooling and, thus, noise.

Hard drives: I personally prefer Seagate drives because I have a long history with them as a system integrator. I am actually using a WD Raptor 74Gb as my operating system drive (with plans for a RAID 0) and two Seagate 7200.8 250Gb SATA drives w/8mb cache and a (gasp!) 5 year warranty. I also have an older Seagate ATA100 drive that I'm using in the system. It seems to me, excluding the Raptor, the fastest drives seem to be those with higher data densities. At least, that is the impression I have received from looking at various benchmarking sites around the web. I personally prefer to have my operating system installed on a separate hard drive; as a result, large capacity drives (400Gb) are undesirable to me for an operating system drive, so the Raptor was the best (and most expensive) option for my setup.

Optical drive: I am using the exact same drive you want, the NEC ND-3540A. I have experienced absolutely no problems with this drive so far. Very fast, good compatibility.

Power supply: I'm using an Antec Neopower 480watt that I purchased half a year ago or so. I believe there are better options out there, but mine has worked very well with my setup.

Keyboard/mouse: I absolutely love that MX3100 keyboard/mouse kit from Logitech and, oddly enough, it is the one that I am using. I recently built two identical machines (Ultra-D, 3800E+, 4x512Mb Corsair XMS3200C2, X800 XL 256mb, Lite-On 16xDVD+/-RW [i prefer the NEC], Antec P160s, Antec Truepower 2.0 550watt) and used the MX3100 with both of those.

Processor: I was looking for something a bit more affordable that I could overclock to the level of a 3800+, which I got. I also knew that if it didn't overclock well I would be satisfied with its stock performance. You should get some good overclocking results with your processor and the extra 512k cache, but I have no experience with that processor or the San Diego core.

So anyway, I hope that helps you a bit in making some decisions. I'm too tired to make a sig right now, I'll fix it later today.

I just placed an order on the Egg for the OCZ Plat Rev 2 ram while they had their 3 day $20 rebate going. Two parts down!

I'd like some more advice concerning my Vid card purchase. I plan on getting a 19" lcd at 1280x1024 in the near future. If I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I occasionally play LAN games in my dorm with friends, like UT, BF and WoW. For my purposes, which card is more cost effective: the X800XL or a 6800GT? Would I do well enough with a 6600GT? Does anyone know of any good online deals?

That MSI X800XL looks interesting, but does anyone else have any more input?

Some other options I've come across:

ATI X800XL on ebay - $270

XFX 6800GT at the Egg w/ $50 rebate - $301

I've used the same Lian Li case and NEC dvd burner before, and I love them both. No brainer for me. I'm not a fan of the plastics on all Antec cases. I'm waiting for another price drop on the burner before I order it. The price tends to fluctuate a lot.

Yeah, the plastic on the front of the Antec case is the worst part. I'm using a Viewsonic VP191B with the MSI X800 XL, works great. I built those two other identical systems with dual Nu LG921G monitors. The 6600GT is definitely the price/performance king of the low end, the X800 XL rules the midrange, and the 7800GTX is, for now, the high end champ. I was originally going to get a 6600 GT, but after looking at some benchmarks of current games I decided that if it can barely deliver today's games at the highest resolutions, then it won't be able to deliver tomorrow's. And if you want to keep the native resolution of 1280x1024, go with the X800 XL or the 6800 GT.

This is my opinion I believe the egg has the bfg 6800 gt for 359. I would rather get the bfg since it comes overclocked from them and they also have a lifetime warranty. Even though in a year or 2 you may buy a new vid card you can always use your old ones for spare systems or home networks, just my .02

Nice. The PS PSU is better anyway :nod: . The Hitachi SATA II HDD's rock you will love em. I also have the EVGA 6800GT and I like it. Pretty good oc'er I get 425/1300 from it :nod: .

Look in the other topics forum for HDD benchmarks and that should answer your HDD questions don't take my word for it :) . Go with Rev'2 also I sold my eb's for rev2's to use with this board.

Overall you have some good choices. the only thing I dont like if the wireless combo but that is more of a personal choice. Good luck with your build you should enjoy it. BTW if you like or want to multi task you may want to consider a X2 CPU.

425/1300...HOW? my best is 420/1125....stock cooling though