X2 4400+ : 2nd CPU not stable with Prime 95 -> RMA ?

Hello,

I bought a X2 4400+ 1 week ago and I am testing it with Prime 95 before overclocking it.

After a while, 10 h 53 min, an error occur on the 2nd CPU. And I did other Prime 95 burns a few days ago and the same phenomenon, but after less time.

So, should I replace it by another one ? Indeed, if there are errors without any overclocking, I am likely not to be able to overclock it much.

And is the cause the CPU ? Since stock voltage is low, 1.28 V, it may be the cause of this instability ?

Otherwise, if I RMA it, wil AMD agree to change it ? According to me, it seems normal since the CPU does not match the specifications.

What is your opinion ?

I dont know if they would argue simply rasing your volts slightly might well do the tric. Sadly many of the old winchesters were not prime stablle at stock speeds.

Dont forget that prime stresses the wole system and not just your cpu so check everything else out first- memory timings volts heat sink placement etc. You might just end up with a worse CPU and never know it.

I did not increase volts yet.

In Prime 95, I use custom test with 450 MB allocated to each CPU. I followed the advice given in a thread by Angry Games.

I am going to test memory with Memtest. Otherwise, what else could I test before being sure that the 2nd CPU is defect ?

Mines does the same thing, but system is pretty much rock solid..And i am 2.7ghz

I think there still needs to be a windows update to allow it to use 2nd core correctly and belive it to be a software issue not a hardware issue.

Cause even when my 2nd core drops off, the systme goes to like 40% use and both cores are working on the reminaing prime program..

The only issue i have is if i am gaming and alt-tab out to start using dvdshrink(just love backing up my DVD collection :dog: ) it locks up...

But if i dvd shrink first tehn game its fine.. I do not htink you and i ahve bad cores..Just teh hardware is farther along then the software, like always..

Mines does the same thing, but system is pretty much rock solid..And i am 2.7ghz

I think there still needs to be a windows update to allow it to use 2nd core correctly and belive it to be a software issue not a hardware issue.

Cause even when my 2nd core drops off, the systme goes to like 40% use and both cores are working on the reminaing prime program..

The only issue i have is if i am gaming and alt-tab out to start using dvdshrink(just love backing up my DVD collection :dog: ) it locks up...

But if i dvd shrink first tehn game its fine.. I do not htink you and i ahve bad cores..Just teh hardware is farther along then the software, like always..

have you installed the AMD X2 driver for XP?

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Techni...71_9706,00.html