Sign in to follow this  
disk11

Think I fried LP 875pro revA

While trying to get OCing advice in the other subforum, I encountered this problem:

*$&%$^$&@()!)@>

I think I fried the board. I moved my 250GB hard drive onto the IDE RAID port to move and backup some data, and when I powered on again I smelled something burning. Now it won't give me any video, and hangs on the 4th LED or "Early Program Chipset Register before POST". I checked the board up close but I didn't see anything looking roasted.:(

I tried everything I knew of (trying to boot with just video, mem and CPU; holding insert; leaving the CMOS battery out for extended periods of time to clear BIOS) and it still won't POST.

Does anyone know what this error means? It is not covered in the manual, google turned up next to nothing, and searching this site found several threads in the 32bit AMD section, and they all appeared to have dead boards.

After looking again, I may have found the culprit. In this picture I have a cap and two other things (forgive me, EE doesn't appeal to me). On the other side where the cap is, the board is oddly disfigured, almost like it melted.

Anyway is there anything I can do to salvage the board, or do I need to move on?

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

Was this just a random freak occurance or was there some sort of user error here? I'd rather this not happen again if it can be helped.

Those look like inductors (the green things with wire wrapped around it). What that means to you is anyones guess.

I am curious though, as to why your board chose to fry at that particular instance. Plugging the data port from one controller to the other doesnt kill motherboards.

How is the harddrive? Is there anything crossing any part of the electrical circuits? The only thing that came to my mind that could do something like that is a power trace for the Harddrive crossed a data line and sent voltage back into the board. Yeah, thats really far fetched.

Did you physically change the location of the drive or just the plug of the cable (from your post, it made it sound like the drive was in computer).? Does the drive still work? Check it over before you plug it into another computer.

Really sorry to hear about that. I know how frustrating it is. Check all your other hardware and if you are lucky nothing else got destroyed (including your CPU).

I know for sure the vid card, mem, hard drive work, but since I don't have a spare s478 board lying around I can't test that but I figure its fine.

I acutally remove the 250GB hard drive, then booted up and cooked that spot.

I would be very careful so that harddrive doesnt destroy another motherboard... although i am not sure it was the culprit.

Its not that i dont have faith in DFI its just i dont have faith in DFI :-P

Hows that power supply doing? OCZ PSUs are reputable for being stable but there are always ones that have problems. While i dont know how or why moving a drives data lines could cause a problem.

YHaPM