Question on removing IHS on 3000 venice.

Well I hit a wall at 2799. If I take of the IHS do you think I might be able to get some more mhz out of it? 2799 -2808 is the max stable I can get. Also I was reading something about you have to have a heatsink that applys the right amount of pressure to secure the IHS to the core or something. Can someone please provide me with the steps and proceedures to accomplish this? My temps are excelent just cant get this damn thing stable at higher speeds. I want max powaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Guest nomad
Well I hit a wall at 2799. If I take of the IHS do you think I might be able to get some more mhz out of it? 2799 -2808 is the max stable I can get. Also I was reading something about you have to have a heatsink that applys the right amount of pressure to secure the IHS to the core or something. Can someone please provide me with the steps and proceedures to accomplish this? My temps are excelent just cant get this damn thing stable at higher speeds. I want max powaaaaaaaaaaaa!

I guess it all depends on how much Vcore you are using right now. Removing the IHS doesnt magically make your CPU a better OC'er, just relieves some of the heat saturation that may be going on.

I just removed the IHS from my FX-53 and it gained me a wopping 40 Mhz. Basically all it did was allow me to run alittle moe Vcore without cooking my chip. If you are at a decent Vcore and good temps(which you seem to be happy with) I would just leave it on. But, in the spirit of OC'ing, nothing is ever good enough... :nod:

My $0.02

Nomad :)

Seams like I got to give it alot of vcore. Im at 1.350 = 123% for 1.648 cpuz reading. Oh so when people take the IHS off the just mount the heatsink straight to the core or do they apply as5 and put it back on. Sorry im not sure how this exactly works.

Oh so when people take the IHS off the just mount the heatsink straight to the core or do they apply as5 and put it back on. Sorry im not sure how this exactly works.

You use AS5 just like you normally do..

@ nomad.. you did it ?.. congrads.. :)

Guest nomad
You use AS5 just like you normally do..

@ nomad.. you did it ?.. congrads.. :)

Thanks Thunda... I appreciate it. I would have never done it without guys like you holding noob hand ;)

I am gonna do it every time!!!

Guest nomad
So do you put the IHS cap back on or no?

I wouldnt. But I guess it also depends on what heatsync you are using. If there is a chance of it cracking the core, I would put it back on. But, if I was going to put it back on I wouldn't take it off :P

I guess what that means if you are going to take it off, I would leave it off. It didnt affect my idle temps much but shaved about 8c off my load temps, which is worth the mod. If it only took 2 or 3 degrees off I wouldnt bother at all.

Ok well I found out the venus is to wide. I got the cap off but had to put it back on because it was not touching at all. Well at least I got some better thermal paste under there. I guess I started a new trend the half naked cpu lol. Omg I just fired up speed fan and my temps are worse! I don't understand how. I got thermal past under the cap and between the cap and heatsink lapped and everything.