Sign in to follow this  
Spotpuff

Tom's hardware is funny

You aren't kidding about that ASUS board voice. I fired up a customers computer after a build, and the OS screamed "Booting Operating System" in a chinese ladies voice and I almost spilled my drink.

I promptly disabled that crap.

-Steve

Mine was a 'robotic' man :D

That article is worth nothing, simply because the author uses this:

Asus%20Vento%203600%20pc%20case%20kicks%20ass%20gamer%20case%20mod%20overclock%20overclocker%20cool%20design%20space%20age.jpg

Each and every Asus product should be boycotted in response to this case.

did anyone see the dual cpu shootout a month or two ago at thg?(they ran one dual core sli amd system vs one dual core sli intel system at 24/7 utilization for about a week) the intel system kept destroying motherboards and overheating. it shut down on many occasions (meaning 7 or more) while the amd just kept chugging along nice and happy.

what they ended up doing was modifying the results and getting rid of some of the intel crashes to make it look better.(not a joke)

theres a whole 21 pages of laughter over at XS due to people taking pictures of it crashing and watching thg completely lie about it.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=64950&

conclusion: don't trust or take advice from thg. they have quite a few journalistic as well as technical issues they need to work out.

I've heard rumors of TomsHardware being on the take from sponsors...dunno how true it is, but the rumors are flyin' from everywhere! :( ...kinda sad as I've been reading their reviews for about 5 years now! That being said I stopped taking alot of it seriously about 3 years ago, for the first couple of years I read them they were hardcore, but they've lost their edge over the years. I stick more to Anandtech and HardwareZone now.

Someone here said toms is good for consumer electronics and they might have a point there. I hope their headset review is accurate cuz I was gonna buy those Sennheiser PC 160's but they recommended the Medusa 5.1's instead...now I bought it and I just gotta wait for it to be shipped to my country. :-)

Good article, Travis. There is just something not right about that Tom's Hardware review. There is just no possible way someone who knows something about hardware couldn't easily read the DFI manual and conclude the problem was with the RAM. Instead, makes up a story that the manual implicated the CPU. After testing that, he brightly concluded it must be either the power supply or the motherboard. Umm, dude, how 'bout the RAM and those 3 LEDs?

Jesus, that is just ridiculous.

i also read this article earlier today and yes i believe the problem was between the keyboard and the chair as 3 diag lights on mean M/b has failed to detect the memory .

but i do agree that the manual could have been more comprehensive like the one for download on DFI's site, although i found it to be sufficient enough as these boards are not really intended for n00b5

maybe if he had found our forum he would have realized the absolute 5 star cust service you get for DFI products

I have always trusted info from toms and was disapointed with this article, i agree with shard, they were a lot more hardcore a few years back

What is worse is that he says there's no mention of the LED's on DFI's website. Before I got my board shipped to my country I downloaded the manual from DFI's website and it DOES mention in there what the LED's mean!

I read this article. It is a typical human response. Blame everyone else. He obviously didn't actually spend the time to research his problem. It is likely he had a memeory slot issue orange or yellow - 1 stick at a time.

Look I am not an expert, even though everyone I talk to thinks I know everything about computers and electronics, and as all of us know the more we learn the more we realize how much we don't know. I digress.

But I think most anyone who decides to build a computer from scratch assumes they will encounter some issues. You islate the problem and work it.

I took a lot of time to read everything I could b4 I built my system. I still ended up with the memory in the wrong slot issue. That took me 5 mins to resolve. I had more problems getting the windows drivers for my stuff.

The reviewer basically thinks that the mobo designers should be able to create a system that everyone should be able to build with little or no effort. But the demand for that does not exist as evidenced by Dell and similarly very waelthy prefab resellers.

just my 2 cents I love my board

I didn't read the entire thread before posting this response.

The reason I went with DFI was because I found this forum. Every system I have built from scratch has had some issue. So I lurked a bit here, asked some questions and did my own research.

I even went against the advice, "stay away from value ram" given to me here and bought the "value ram" in my sig.

So far I'm very pleased with my purchase decision.

I guess I'm just trying to say don't let a negative review affect what and how you feel about your DFI products. We as consumers all want to be reassured post purchase. I think in our case all we need to do is look at this forum and see how well the DFI products are. And, how well they make AMD procs perform.

edit: What is a shame that poorly written article will passably keep others from trying out a DFI board.

tom's isn't the only one with poor reviews either. I sometimes have to wonder if these places aren't actually salesmen, or accepting things for a fixed outcome on a review. Some of the positive things they say about something isn't really all that positive, and vice versa. They will list things in the positive that I think should be standard, and then in the negative list things that aren't all that negative, like they did with this one listing the poor manual. Then when it all adds up it should really be about 45/55 but they somehow will make it 75/25.

If you want my opinion I don't think he tested any of these two boards, why I know that ? ok look at the picture of the asus board which he claims, quote"I picked up an Asus A8N SLI-Premium board " now does this board in the photo looks like the premium version? NOT this is the delux version premium has the heat pipe cooler on the chipset.

So in conclusion he's full of ^%$#, he did not even test the boards :nod:

I just read this article this morning. For that reviewer I say "reading is fundamental".

As previoulsy stated the LED info is in the manual and it says "CPU Detected" for 3 LEDs. How could he interpret this as a CPU error?

He moved the memory around, got a partial boot and still blames the CPU/mobo? Does this guy work for Dell? :shake:

Plus, how could he try to get it fixed and not have found Dfi-street or any other forum that could have answered his LED question (and many others) in seconds?

Fact is this guy must review normal consumer stuff all the time and not enthusiast stuff. Anyone with half a brain knows by reading about this board it is NOT a noob board. This guy is the epitome of a noob, or just another reviewer in Asus' pocket.

It is sad to say, but this review has really turned me off to THG. I remember way back in the day (just before celeron 300a time) you read Anand and THG. They were good and you could trust them. I am not so sure about that anymore. Thank God there are so many more review sites now that you can turn to.

Quad