BOSD on installing Windows xp for first time

I just put together my computer (everything I know is in my information already), but I got a BSOD on the restart after installing xp. It says such and such error "If this is your first time recieving this error message restart, if not contact the manufacturer on any updates you may need." And since I couldn't find out how to contact DFI and I had heard the people here were excellent at fixing problems I figured I'd post. Do I need to update my bios? I am unsure what I have? I just got my mobo Today if that helps. I'll repeat everything just in case.

DFI Ultra-D (Bios Unknown)

Gigabit 6800 GT 256 pci-e

HD 2 Seagate 160's (was attempting to raid, but couldn't get windows to even install w/ raid enabled)

Memory- PDP 3200+XBL

Lite-On DVD Burner

Sony DVD Burner

Sony Floppy

Hopefully I just need to update the bios although I'm not sure so that's why I'm asking.

Thanks.

If you have 12+ hours per day for this new joy for next 1 week, start your long journey by reading all the stickies in this forum. Otherwise, just get a different motherboard.

Got the same error

installing win xp on raid0 2x WD80gb with slipstreamed winxp sp2

install runs fine first boot BSOD saying turn of shadowing blabla ....

does the nf4 controller or any sata raid need other drivers or so to be slipstreamed

mobo: SLI-DR BIOS: 704

Yes it does.

After following the "How to make a WnXP with NVRAID Drivers Built In" thread I got windows to install onto my 2x 250Gig Sata2 raid0 array using the steps listed in the thread and the drivers off the DFI cd.

Only problem was that when I went to install nVidia 6.66 nForce drivers (Strange that it would be that version number ;) windows bluescreened and was unbootable as it had hung during the install of the IDE drivers.

I'm currently attempting to use nLite to integrate 6.66 and have disabled System File Protection in Windows (from the Patches Section in nLite).

I'll let you know how it goes.

Well I got Windows to isntall and even starts to boot, but after the windows load screen goes it flashes "restarting windows setup" and then BSOD's and gives me the "If this is the first time you've seen this error restart, if not unplug your devices and reboot. Only problem is I only have one device installed and that's the 6800 other than that everything is still on the mobo unless it could mean my ramm.

Well I got Windows to isntall and even starts to boot, but after the windows load screen goes it flashes "restarting windows setup" and then BSOD's and gives me the "If this is the first time you've seen this error restart, if not unplug your devices and reboot. Only problem is I only have one device installed and that's the 6800 other than that everything is still on the mobo unless it could mean my ramm.

Memory pass memtest? That is the most common cause it often needs adjustment see the stikie on top.

@EekPing, dabelg, SyxPak: Please read and respect the forum rules found here and create a signature with your complete computer specs. thank you.

also put your bios version in your sig too. as smokey said, you need to qualify your ram. later bios's have memtest built in under genie bios.

also put your psu brand and type in your sig too. do you have all 4 power connectors hooked up including the hdd type and fdd types?

Just an update. Got raid to work (w/ the raid disk mobo came w/. My friend hooked floppy drive cable up backwards), formatted and installed windows. Got the same error. Popped out 2nd 512 stick of PDP 3200 and restarted. To my surprise windows setup loaded. Now my question is do I have bad ramm or could it be something else? The ram does appear to have a VERY tiny chip in the back right corner. It looks white while the rest is covered w/ red on the outside. Thanks for the suggestions and the help.

Just an update. Got raid to work (w/ the raid disk mobo came w/. My friend hooked floppy drive cable up backwards), formatted and installed windows. Got the same error. Popped out 2nd 512 stick of PDP 3200 and restarted. To my surprise windows setup loaded. Now my question is do I have bad ramm or could it be something else? The ram does appear to have a VERY tiny chip in the back right corner. It looks white while the rest is covered w/ red on the outside. Thanks for the suggestions and the help.

the only way to tell if you have bad ram is to test it w/ memtest available in the bios under bios genie section. enable it and reboot. it will run automatically. press esc after you let it run a good many passes. go back into bios and disable memtest.

PS: if you've never flashed bios, then you have the shipping bios. you can tell by hitting the pause button on your keyboard, after you've disabled the splash screen /logo in bios. this will pause the info on the screen so you can see it. also, another way to find out is if you have cpu-z installed, go to the mainboard tab. your bios ver will be listed there.

See link in sig one stick of memory etc helps even bad ram usually.......You might look for setting for your ram it might make things much easer figuring the best setting. for me simply clearing Comos is enough.

Installing windows with good ram was pretty unexciting for me.

Well I haven't hooked my other computer up to the internet yet so I don't have cpu-z. I would like to know the button to freeze the start up screen as I've already disabled the DFI logo. I think the program is most likely that the DRAM is running at 2.5v when the memory says it should run at 2.7 so I'm gunna run memtest on each stick at 2.5 for a while and see if I get errors. If not then should I jack up the voltage to 2.7 and run memtest again on each individual stick before dual channeling or before? And if that fails then I'll follow you're guide and do what you said, but I'm hoping what I want to do will be easier :) Thanks for all the suggestions and help.