Sign in to follow this  
Aftermath

X800XL Booting Issues and Crazy Undervolting, 623-3 BIOS flaws

Thanks Guys, do you really believe 100% that dropping 100+ bucks on a 480W or greater PSU will cure my "undervolting"? And that enermax you listed RGone, are the lines fairly stable?

UPDATE: Now my volts on the aformentioned line are listed as 1.88 its lowest was 1.66. Why the change? Is the undervolting of the +3.3V rail a common indicator of an under spec psu or just in this instance?

as much as it goes against my own rules and making sure people understand them...i seriously doubt your OCZ Powerstream 420w is the culprit. I can honestly say (and I will catch a lot of hell I'm sure) that this psu is more than capable of powering the system you have in your sig. I have a 420w Powerstream in my lab and it is more than capable of working properly.

I just have made such a big deal out of the psu thing that I cannot recommend anyone purchase smaller than a 480w 24-pin psu...but you have a psu that is more than enough to work the system you have.

that being said, the weird power drop on your 3.3v line is very worrisome. If you have a multimeter/dvm to test it with, then please do so to see if you are really getting power drop. It could be a bad 3.3v line in the psu, or it could be a faulty sensor reading on the motherboard itself. Needs to be dvm tested to be sure.

I would also check that vid card to be sure, especially since it boots with a PCI card. Also try booting with the PCI-E card in the bottom slot (ive found that a lot of 3 and 4 LED but no boots = move the card to the lower slot, it will boot up just fine, and you have to swap it back to the top slot...sometimes a couple of times through this but it eventually picks it up in the top slot and you are good to go from there on)

I would also seriously look at the memory...if you have a local computer shop to test the card at, take your tower and see if there is any other memory the shop will put in your rig WITH your good X800 vid card and see if it will boot...I've seen memory do some strange things.

But test that psu out first...if the multimeter/dvm shows bad 3.3v voltages, and all 3 lights on the back of your psu are green, then I would have the psu replaced.

I've almost the exact same setup:

NF4LPSLI-DR go623-3 BBIOS (From bootable ISO)

MSI RX800XL-VT2D256E

2x 512 OCZ PC3200 EL Plat Rev. 2

Fortron FN-550-PLN

Haven't had a problem yet.

I would also check that vid card to be sure, especially since it boots with a PCI card. Also try booting with the PCI-E card in the bottom slot (ive found that a lot of 3 and 4 LED but no boots = move the card to the lower slot, it will boot up just fine, and you have to swap it back to the top slot...sometimes a couple of times through this but it eventually picks it up in the top slot and you are good to go from there on)

I have tried the second pci-e slot and it does boot however artifacts like crazy and is hardly leggible (still functional though) as i mentioned before. This leads me to believe the card may not be fried, but it puzzles me because i've reTIMed it many times following the instructions to the letter, so I dont think its an contact/overheating issue.

Anyone know where I could attain a voltimiter or buy/borrow a cheap one for that matter? Again thanks alot for the help.

I just replaced the old x800xl with a new one to no avail. Its either the motherboard or the PSU (it must be ive isolated everything else). If it's the board should i send it in for replacement or is their some sort of local repair that would suffice. Also is their any possibility the BIOS is just misreporting the voltage. When i was running the 310p BIOS my volts were all fine.

I'm using the 23/6 BIOS with a Powercolour X800XL /w an Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2, and I haven't had any problems running the graphics card. Though I'm currently got a hard drive problem...disk boot failure...so I'm trying to tackle that.

I am also having the identical setup and with a Powerstream 520W. So far so good but still need to tune the BIOS for my UTT ram. Kinda troublesome each time flash new BIOS need to setup everything from scratch. :O