X800XL Booting Issues and Crazy Undervolting, 623-3 BIOS flaws

Hi Everyone,

Recently ive been having trouble convincing my computer to boot properly with my X800XL. When i place it in the 1st PCI-e x16 slot it yields a 3 red LED error code with a flashing power LED and when i place it in the 2nd PCI-e x16 slot it yields a 1 red LED error code and eventually proceeds to boot. However after it does boot (from the second PCI-e x16 slot) it artifacts like crazy and the screen is highly illegible, but still functional. This leads me to believe my graphics card may not be toasted.

I have ruled out my RAM as a source of booting troubles by temporarily using an 8mb PCI graphics card an everything is booting fine. I have decided that I will try to test my graphics card on a local shops computer.

However more troubling, this morning ITE Smartgaurdian reveals that my ATX +3.3V is undervolting considerably. It is slowly climbing closer to defualt, and its currently 1.77V. Could there be any correlation between my graphics issues and the undervolting of the +3.3V? I am under the impression that a 420W Powerstream with previously nominal voltages would be more than sufficient to run a system with almost no peripherals and at normal clocks, considering it is rated to perform better than some 520W PSU's.

The 3.3V issue has not resulted in any noticable (on screen) issues and I would not have even been aware of it had not checked ITE Smartgaurdian. Lastly I have cleared the cmos multiple times (both loading defaults and clearing it with the jumper) and I have updated to the latest official BIOS from dfi to no avail. I am aware that others are experiencing similar problems however after perusing their threads I found no solution to my problem.

I have a feeling that the line's voltage is bieng misreported by the bios or ITE smartgaurdian because all my lines were fine when I was using the 310p BIOS. The problem arose when i updated to the 623-3 BIOS

Any help or insight would be much appreciated. :)

Does anyone know the solution to my problem i've been waiting all day im sorry if I sound impatient, I just see other threads recieved 10-20 replies in few hours, i've waited all day and have yet to recieve more than 1 reply. Are my posts to long?

Yeah I think there are something strange about the 623 bios updates too.

Anyone cares to name some points that we should look out for after updating the bios to 623?

And also, I would like to know that why after flashing to 623, WinFlash does not longer recognise my Bios as an award bios? Is it because it's purely Phoenix now? I need to use WinFlash since I don't have a floppy installed, would someone help? Thanks a lot!

:P

OCZ Power Stream 420W
I don't think its a bug in the bios. I am running that bios on another rig, and i don't have any problems whatsoever. Its your PSU. Not the minimum required. Unless you change your PSU to the required, we can only guess the solution for the symptoms you guys are having. You need a minimum 480W native 24 pin. Once you get that resolved, if problems still occur, then will we be able to better assist you. Until then, we cannot give you a decent response.

Well if i absolutely have to spend money. Whats the most stable (as in volt regulation) 480W PSU I can get for at or under 100 dollars? Also why is it that the DFI board requires 480W standard w/o any peripherals thats a ton of power? most boards can operate easily with 250-300W psu's.

Thanks Guys, do you really believe 100% that dropping 100+ bucks on a 480W or greater PSU will cure my "undervolting"? And that enermax you listed RGone, are the lines fairly stable?

UPDATE: Now my volts on the aformentioned line are listed as 1.88 its lowest was 1.66. Why the change? Is the undervolting of the +3.3V rail a common indicator of an under spec psu or just in this instance?

I'm using the 23/6 BIOS with a Powercolour X800XL /w an Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 Rev. 2, and I haven't had any problems running the graphics card. Though I'm currently got a hard drive problem...disk boot failure...so I'm trying to tackle that.