Help with Windows XP (64-bit) Install on RAID

Hi all,

I installed XP Pro (64-bit) on my machine (specs below) using the nLite 1.0 b4 procedure from http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16841 (many thanks to Fernando :) ). The install went through without a hitch onto the RAID 0 array.

The problem I have appears connected with running Windows Update. When I execute it most (but not all) of the time, I get a popup error message (see image attached) indicating - "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability Windows must restore the original versions of these files." "Insert your Windows XP Professional x64 Edition CD-ROM now." I've put the MS CD into the drive when prompted the first time. Should I put the nLite CD in the drive the next time?

When I click the "More Information" button, I get a message (see image attached) indicating "[p]ossible reasons for this problem: You have inserted the Wrong CD. (i.e., a different Windows product CD than the version installed) The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning."

Any thoughts on this error? Should I try the Repair option on the original MS disk? Or, the nLite created disk?

Thanks!

-dsk

I would try the repair on the MS disk as that "should" put the correct versions of the so-called bad files back on.

I dont think it will have ANY effect on yourn RAID config as that isnt even touched by MS...

On a side topic, I will be going back to Windows XP 32-bit for the time being. I have some new software that I want to try and it will refuse to work in x64 as it needs drivers wrtiing for it.. even using x32bit in VMWARE will not correct it...

Damn...

I would try the repair on the MS disk as that "should" put the correct versions of the so-called bad files back on.

I dont think it will have ANY effect on yourn RAID config as that isnt even touched by MS...

I gave this a shot without apparent success. I tried booting from the MS install CD, but it did not see the RAID array. I booted again from the MS install CD and hit F6 and inserted a disk with the nVidia 6.66 64-bit drivers. I made it to the screen and the RAID array was recognized, but it did not find the installation on the array or give me the option to repair the installation other than through the recovery console.

Since the intermittent error has not surfaced again despite several attempts on my part to provoke it, I'm left with the unhappy decision of hoping that the error is not indicative of a bigger problem or of re-installing the OS (and spending another lovely 30-minutes on the phone with a MS rep to activate it).

Anyone have any ideas...

Thanks!

-dsk

Since the intermittent error has not surfaced again despite several attempts on my part to provoke it, I'm left with the unhappy decision of hoping that the error is not indicative of a bigger problem or of re-installing the OS (and spending another lovely 30-minutes on the phone with a MS rep to activate it).

Your problem is due to the SFC (file protection of Microsoft). Probably you have changed/deleted some original features of the OS by using nLite. These messages are no big problem for your system.

You could have prevented these messages, when you had disabled SFC by nLite.

Your problem is due to the SFC (file protection of Microsoft). Probably you have changed/deleted some original features of the OS by using nLite. These messages are no big problem for your system.

You could have prevented these messages, when you had disabled SFC by nLite.

Is there a way to fix that now short of a reinstall? If I go the reinstall route, how do I make the change in nLite to avoid the problem?

-dsk

Is there a way to fix that now short of a reinstall? If I go the reinstall route, how do I make the change in nLite to avoid the problem?

-dsk

You can turn it on and off see HERE. I personally dont see any real issues with it as it stands right now, unless you have some weird problems.

As for Nlite, do your Intgrations as per Fernando's guide.. Then make sure the ONLY option you use on nlite is to make a bootable ISO, uncheck all the others... point it to the intgrated x64 folder and make the disk. Do NOT enable any other options in nLite and that should resolve it