Sign in to follow this  
chinkgai

OMG - i dented something!!! (pic inside!)

http://pics.bbzzdd.com/users/chinkgai/IMG_9549cropped.jpg

when i was screwing in my slk948u, my screwdriver slipped a bit and i dented that small capacitor or whatever! its a very small ding, but will it affect performance??? ever since that ding i've noticed my temperatures jump at random times under load from say...40ish C to like..84ish C and then back to normal again...

this happens for the cpu, pwm, chipset...basically everything with a temp sensor...

this never happened before and i duno if its the little ding i've caused or the new cpu i was installing when this happened, which is the X2 4200+....

oh ignore my sig, the system is now:

x2 4200+

ocz vx pc4000

dfi nf4 sli-d

x850 xt pe

pc&pc turbo cool express 510

I doubt it's your processor or chipset's temperature increasing. You probably just scratched up a sensor or something, hence the sporadic temp. reports.

yeah im pretty aware its not actually increasing, but just the fact that its jumping makes me nervous since its never done it before the dent and new cpu =(

any other takes?

Capacitors in circuits are often used as "batteries".

In fact they are batteries, which is used to stablize the currents in the circuit.

During idle times, all devices will consume a stable amount of current,

and they all just happy hanging around together with each other.

But during busy hours, some chipset will become power hungry,

which might lead to a sudden voltage drop of that part of the circuit.

By having an extra capacitor added on the conducting wire,

the capacitor will be able to provide that extra power in that instantanous moment,

until the actual increase of power came from PSU to stablise the voltage.

After the system becomes idle again, the capacitor recharges itself back to full,

ready for the next fluctuation.

It's like to have a fire distinguisher placed inside your house,

and you can help to stablise the fire for a while until the actual fire truck to come around.

Unless you know which chipsets the capacitor is decoupling,

it will be hard to say whether performance will be dittered by the dent.

I suggest that you should email DFI with the picture and ask for suggestions.

wow, thanks shadowx...maybe the dent in the "battery" caused voltage to not be consistent, hence the jumps in temp, and i just realized i have jumps in voltage readings as well...

angry games? rgone?? what you guys think?

crap i hope i can find the receipt for the board... =

wow, thanks shadowx...maybe the dent in the "battery" caused voltage to not be consistent, hence the jumps in temp, and i just realized i have jumps in voltage readings as well...

angry games? rgone?? what you guys think?

crap i hope i can find the receipt for the board... =

I dont mean to put a dampener on things, but wouldnt that not be covered by the warrenty? After all it says somewhere that you have to have it professionally installed yada yada yada, and in that case they "might" not cover the accidental damage you did with your screwdriver.

I know this is the case with other hardware such as CPU's, Hard Drives, Video Cards, Notebooks, Etc

Even Mobile phones no less have very similar warrenty restrictions (Drop a phone in water and TRY to get it replaced if you dont have insurance on it.. I dare you!!)

But I do hope they can sort something out for you though..

I think that is what this forum is for, SUPPORT. I'm sure that he can get something like this fixed. DFI, A_G, RGone are nothing like Cell Phone companies. These are real people wanting to keep thier customers happy. I don't see why something like this would hinder him from getting a replacement or repair, even if he had to pay a few bucks.

-Freez

I think that is what this forum is for, SUPPORT. I'm sure that he can get something like this fixed. DFI, A_G, RGone are nothing like Cell Phone companies. These are real people wanting to keep thier customers happy. I don't see why something like this would hinder him from getting a replacement or repair, even if he had to pay a few bucks.

We'll have to wait and see...

edit:

I realy doubt he can replace it or RMA it (expecialy since his warranty is probably void)... And I also think it is hard to repair it (expecially officialy by DFI, those board are mass produced, when a RMA or a damaged board comes back to DFI it goes to waste disposal - I think it is cheaper to do this then to try and fix the board)

oh im sure everyone on this board who gets their hardware warranteed got a "professional" to install it :rolleyes:

give me a break