Any way to boost the USB Power?

Guest slayer_merged

Guest slayer

Hi Guys

I have just recently built a machine on a DFI NF4U-D and have been mighty impressed with it's options (ignoring the fact that I had to do a hotflash with another owner as my bios died during a flash)

However I have come across an extremely weird problem I'm hoping you DFI gurus can help me with.

Basically I'm running this machine as a HTPC using a new Dual HDTV Tuner that goes via the usb ports http://www.digitalnow.com.au/product_pages/twindvbt.html

The problem I'm encountering is that over the past few days the cards have been received an extremely week signal (compared directly with a pci card) and intermittently drop out from receiving any signal at all.

I hear you all saying what on earth is this guy on it has nothing to do with the motherboard, well this is where it gets interesting.

The card comes with a signal measuring tool which I have been using and it gives me a on the fly DB reading. On the weak channels I've been getting 17ish and on the strong channels 23ish.

10mins ago I just happened to have this program open and loaded up occt to test my cpu settings. I was then quite shocked to see the db rating jump up 8db on the weak channels and 5db on the strong! as soon as I stop the torture test the db ratings go back down I have replicated this over a number of reboots now.

Basically it's got me thinking it may have something to do with the power coming through the usb ports (I have tried both onboard headers as well as the rear mobo ports)

Is there anyway I can get the usb power higher (or whatever occt is doing to my system) without permantly stress testing?

I am running a 20pin enermax 480w psu which has been doing everything perfectly so I'm hesistant to point the finger at that at this stage.

thanks in advance.

Guest slayer

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies. I've updated my sig with system details.

Unfortunately I don't have a USB hub on hand and I would be hesitant to buy one as even if it works it defeats the purpose of a dual "internal" tuner and others have had these cards working fine on other motherboard.

PSU wise yes I have read up on whats out there and I am very strongly considering a Seasonic (have to import them) but I would be very upset if I spent $250 to get one here and find it hasn't helped at all as everything else in my system is running well with this psu (which I've only had for 6months :( )

The thing that is weird though is the sudden boost in readings when the system is under load i.e OCCT torture test. I thought putting it under load would drain power if anything so it has me thinking it may be some form of power saving on the usb ports (I've turned of Cool N Quite)

edit: ok just found a spare usb2 pci card and plugged it in and it seems to work fine as well, so its definately the usb headers on the motherboard. Would it be a 110% guarantee that a psu would fix this?

thanks again

I would get a recommended power supply before trying anything different. I have seen very strange things happen when not using the proper PSU.

But!!!

That is a very strange correlation between CPU load and input signal strength on a tuner card.

I have a feeling that the power on the USB ports has nothing to do with what you are seeing.

One way you can test is by hooking one tuner up then repeat your tests. If you get the same results with only one tuner then you will know that you are seeing is an anomaly.

Additionally, even though the two tuners are mounted to a single slot bracket, you can get USB extension cables and use a powered hub for each tuner giving them their own power supply.

I disagree that it is PSU, he is obviously getting enough power to there when he is "using" the max power. Explain how a PSU could fix this problem, don't just say it's PSU because it's not up to "so-called" spec. It really erks me when everyone just assumes that it's PSU because they have nothing else to stand on. I'm gonna laugh my butt off when he gets his new one and it does the same .. People need to quit assuming that PSU is everything with this board.

-Freez

Guest slayer

hmm yeah it's certainly confusing and a psu is a lot of money (I'd spend it if I was 110% sure it was the problem) The thing that throws me as well is that it works when it's "using max power" but doesn't when it's idling it's like the opposite to what I would expect. The fact that it's working on a pci usb2 card now pretty much confirms something is going on with the usb ports.

Just having a look at the specs of my current psu they are listed as

+3.3v = 34A

+5v = 40A

+12v1 = 16A

+12v2 = 15A

+5vsb = 2.5A

+3v & 5V = 280w

Total Power = 470w

Is there any obvious weaknesses there other than the facts it only 20pins? The scary thing is that the seasonic has pretty much the same and on some things lower ratings. I should also mention under full load occt report 3.3v @ 3.29 5V @ 5.02 and 12V @ 12.20

I guess in the end I just really need to know what OCCT is doing to the motherboard to suddenly get the usb header up to spec

those specs seem pretty damn good to me,even better than my crappy butt Antec 24-pin PSU. lol People amaze me with their knowledge of nothing. Whatever the case I don't think it's your PSU, someone who knows about the USB headers should tell you whats up though.

-Freez

My comment was tongue-in-cheek based on the fact that with the listed power supply he will get nothing but . and moaning about it as it does not meet the minimum standards established by DFI. (Be they overkill or not) Certainly "official" help will not be forthcoming... just halfbaked replies from the peanut gallery such as yours and mine.

-pickles

But for him not to receive appropriate answer's based on his power supply that is rated higher than some of the reccommmeded PSU's is quite ridiculous!! I would just lie and say I had one. Official, ha, more like someone's got a deal with someone else and, well you know. Someone's gotta make some money somewhere I guess. Complete BS to me.

-Freez

Since neither of us are electrical engineers trained in motherboard design, I like to go with the experts.

If you would take the time to read my first post you will see that I did offer several possible solutions.

One possible solution is to get a recommended power supply that delivers power to every pin on all four power connections. Those pins are there for a reason.

But for him not to receive appropriate answer's based on his power supply that is rated higher than some of the reccommmeded PSU's is quite ridiculous!! I would just lie and say I had one. Official, ha, more like someone's got a deal with someone else and, well you know. Someone's gotta make some money somewhere I guess. Complete BS to me.

-Freez