10,000 Vs 7,200 Rpm

CmpFreak88

Hey, I currently have a 7,200 RPM hard drive and with my setup right now, I look in my system performance manager and it says that my processor is maxing out not giving my CPU it's full potential, would the 10,000 RPM hard drive make a big enough difference to notice? Or would a Serial ATA drive be better? Thanks

as far as I know, the only 10,000 rpm drive is SATA, unless there is a SCSI alternative (i don't follow that, tho)

I have noticed a huge difference since I upgraded my WD 7200 80GB SE drive to two WD Raptor SATA drives in RAID/0

you will notice a differnce, from 7200 to 10000 rpms but not a big one..

when you buy a hard drive you want to look at seek time.. the lower seek time the faster the drive will be..

Ive seen, 5400rpms beat certain 10k drives and 7200 drives just because the seek times are better...

but when it says ur not using ur cpu to the full potiental.. I dont think it means upgrade ur harddrive..

yeah i think 1 factor that lacks performance in this pc is the wd 5400spin hard drive :( im not sure on how big of a downer it is but it seems like my comp isnt as good as similar comps with only diff being hard drive spin and cache. my seti takes FOREVER and folding isnt exactly quick im not sure what exactly the problem is but hopefully mah new system will cure. ;)

Hey Jacket, how has the RAID setup been working with your Raptor drives and using the A7N8X del? I've heard some people say they get corrupted data using that controller? Just curious :blink:

okay, scsi comes in 4 flavors, 5400, 7200, 10k, and 15k. on a U320 setup like mine. seek time is less than 2ms (16mb cache per drive, 320mb sustained unlike ide's burst, and 256mb more cache on the controller). IDE can't touch it. too bad it's so darn hot.

on the ide end you have 10k on the way for regular ATA100/133 rigs and SATA is already out. the only downside to using these drives over scsi is the transfer rates. ATA is all measured in a burst... even ata 133 rarely gets up there.