Sign in to follow this  
Zer0X

Gatesware XP throws me a BSOD

Alright lets do the inventory check. See Sig: This is a $7,000 rig and $1,700 of that is invested in my SLi cards which are not working :fear: :blink: As you can imagine I need to get this up and running before I can give it to my customer.

History of Issues:

Issues Observed in Games Initial Setup:

After Installing Windows XP (with SP2) I installed all my drivers from the suppled discs. I was able to get my rig into SLi mode and everything seemed to be working until I started a game.

City of Heroes: Not a well known game but my client plays it therefore this must work. After ~1hour of game play the frames began chopping and the game looked like It was being played on a slide projector (frame skipping). I decided to try Doom 3 and see if that was an issue.

Doom 3: Open loading the menu screen I was greeted with Rainbow sprinkles all over the screen. I loaded up the first level and it was unplayable (frame skip+sprinkles+black line jumping).

After seeing these issues I decided to grab the latest drivers for the chipset and graphics. I formatted the Hard drive and reloaded Windows XP (latest updates too).

Issues Observed in Games after Reinstall:

I decided to try each gaem with just one Graphic Card. Reseting my Jumpers back to single mode I plugged in one 6800. Ran both games with no issue for 2 hours each. I also tried my eVGA 7800GTX; again no issue.

After trying both cards in single mode I decided to go back to SLI. Again I reformatted and reset the motherboard jumpers to SLi.

Issues Observed in Games after Reinstall II:

After getting all the update for XP (for the third time). I installed the latest chipset and graphic drivers (6.66 and 77.72 respectively). I had to reboot my PC after the install. Upon reboot I was greeted with a BSOD. Unfortunately it occurs so quick I am unable to write down the error message. I decided to go into safe mode and unistall both set of drivers. Again I can not get into normal windows operation without a BSOD.

So now here I sit stuck in safe mode with no idea why or how this happened. If your wondering what my temps are here you go:

CPU Idle: 27C

CPU Load: 36C (Prime95 Torture Test, SuperPi 32M)

GPU Idle: 42C

GPU Load: 52C (3dMark05 first test)

My GPU temps are hard to get with coolbits2 (not installed at the moment since I reformatted). I will be installing some temp probes if I need to. My system has not been OCed even in the slightest. I am more concerned getting it stable before I even consider it.

and of course here are some Pics.

Here is my Desktop with my Temp read outs:

image0766qn.th.jpg

Any Ideas; suggestions or recommendations?

I do not have all those high dollar UC's but I have had this in my box and it gives strange symptoms at times > The 4800 < which go completely away if I go back to my Venice 3800+. Not to mention that it hardly runs some of my older games and those games play just fine with Venice or SanDiego processor.

I personally think many made the jump to untested AMD dual core processors too early and now must wait out the fixes between AMD and Nvidia for SLI processing.

RGone...

If you do a search on this, and other forums, you will find many people posting difficulties with AMD X2 CPUs and SLI mode. If you have one available, then install a single core CPU, reinstall and report back with your results.

I made sure that not only did I do a search here before I posted but I searched google as well. ;)

Running in Uniprocess mode did not help as I have already tried it =/

I do not have all those high dollar UC's but I have had this in my box and it gives strange symptoms at times > The 4800 < which go completely away if I go back to my Venice 3800+. Not to mention that it hardly runs some of my older games and those games play just fine with Venice or SanDiego processor.

I personally think many made the jump to untested AMD dual core processors too early and now must wait out the fixes between AMD and Nvidia for SLI processing.

RGone...

My Personal rig has a 4400 X2 with two 7800GTXs in SLi mode with no problems. Near identical specs yet two different results. If dfi or any company wants testing feedback that could possibly solve my problem I have no qualms giving it out.

This 4800 rig is not mine however; it is for a clients PC and unless it works I don't get paid. I can't let $7,235 of hardware because SLi is throwing a temper tantrum. ;) So Please understand that I can not just "go back" I need to figure out how to make it work :(

Thanks I will try them. :)

They didn't work. I also just tried the ones off the CD and they didn't work.

I am going to unistall all nvidia drivers and use the ones on the CD instead.

EDIT: ok What is going on?! now the CD drivers won't even work :sad:

EDIT2: Alright I set my PC back down to one card. Now I get to stare at a $839 paperweight :sad: :( :sad: :(

Guest nova

I had the same type of problems, same mem, same mobo,... It could be the memory! I had a hell of a time getting mine to go (my Mushkin ran great with all mem settings in auto but it belongs to another machine) then I fired off a PM to OCZAndy, got some new timings to try and,.... low and behold ;-) Ask Andy,... or have a look at my sig and give those a shot,.... might be just the ticket for yours too,.... maybe.

I had the same type of problems, same mem, same mobo,... It could be the memory! I had a hell of a time getting mine to go (my Mushkin ran great with all mem settings in auto but it belongs to another machine) then I fired off a PM to OCZAndy, got some new timings to try and,.... low and behold ;-) Ask Andy,... or have a look at my sig and give those a shot,.... might be just the ticket for yours too,.... maybe.

I have mine set to single mde with only one card plugged in until I can find the soure of the problem.

I know it is not the memory because I have the EL 3200 Plat and I have also used the VX Gold. Everything is at stock too; my system isn't even stable much less OCable right now :)

After uninstalling the chipset/video drivers... have you run a driver cleaner?

I'm thinkin that maybe the BSOD's you are seeing are either a result of residual files and registry settings from the initial failure, or perhapes some windoze corruption....

Bringing me to what could have failed you in the first place... runnin a 2X and 2 7800GTX's off that 520W PSU... just a wild guess... could you be pullin too much juice for it to keep up with? Since we know the memory is fine and was for that initial test run... I'm not sure what kind of Amperage is taken by each GPU... but I'm sure it is quite a bit... add in the amperage taken by each of those cores...

just a shot.

CC

Did you have system recovery check points? If so try to roll back before the installation point of 6.66, it might help. It helped me!

After uninstalling the chipset/video drivers... have you run a driver cleaner?

I'm thinkin that maybe the BSOD's you are seeing are either a result of residual files and registry settings from the initial failure, or perhapes some windoze corruption....

Bringing me to what could have failed you in the first place... runnin a 2X and 2 7800GTX's off that 520W PSU... just a wild guess... could you be pullin too much juice for it to keep up with? Since we know the memory is fine and was for that initial test run... I'm not sure what kind of Amperage is taken by each GPU... but I'm sure it is quite a bit... add in the amperage taken by each of those cores...

just a shot.

CC

The 4400 rig is two 7800Gtx on a 520W which has been very stable.

The 4800 Rig is two 6800 Ultras on a 520W which refuses to go into sli.

I had an extensive talk over at Extremeoverclocking (native forums) about these two PSUs before using them. My multimeter is showing I still haven't come close to maxing out the total power of either PSUs on any rail (12, 5 or 3.3)

I must admit I didn't use a drivercleaner; I did reformat with every set of new drivers which I figured would be enough.

Did you have system recovery check points? If so try to roll back before the installation point of 6.66, it might help. It helped me!

That would be impossible due to me formatting my PC with every BSOD.

EDIT: Side question...Do these DFI boards not like the WinTV PVRs from hauppague? The Model in question is WinTV PVR 150MCE.