naked 3500+ venice w/ xp-90

i have been taking some serious thought into doing this just recently. i understand the pro's and con's of doing this so that need NOT be re-explained to me (thanks anyway). the thing that i am worried the most about is getting the heatsink back on with the right amount of pressure so that it makes ecellent contact with the core without crushing it. it seems to me that there is already quite a bit of pressure in the mounting of the xp-90 w/ the IHS on the cpu and i am curious to know if it would re-mount w/o the IHS and w/o mod'n it at all? i am guessing not for the simple fact of how thick the IHS is. i did alot of "google'ng" last night and found some nice ways to get the xp-90 reattached. i would like to hear from some of you out there that got first hand experience with this (i.e. you have already done the IHS removal and have mounted air cooling to it). Thanks in advance for any and all help.

j

OT but I have to ask. How are your temps with the TJ-06? I really like my case and NF2 combination but was more impressed with the lack of noise than the cooling. Does the XP-90 work well with the "wind tunnel" in place?

honestly I am very disappointed in the case as a whole. the quality is great...... but the layout and thought behind it suxorz the big one. with the ultra-d and xp-90 the wind tunnel will not fit. with the stoopid karjan audio crap dfi has....... the rear fan and mount will not fit (i got the fan mounted to the outside of the case in the back). I had my NF7-S and slk-947u in it b4 the ultra-d....... that was a joke also because the heatsink actually ended up touching the bottom of the case and i couldn't get the fan clip on. I think that the case would benefit from an extra 1/4"-1/2" between the mobo tray and the side panel. there is an 80mm and 120mm fan in the front that are way too restricted to even allow for minimal airflow. all in all i am not very happy with the case and pretty pissed off on how much i spent. i looked at the case, read tons of reviews, and decided to get it for function and form (highly overclocked 2500+ xp-mobile). I was truly mistaken...

To get it to mount back with the right pressure you need to sand down the bottom of the plastic bracket... Other than that you just need to be carefull in mounting it and keep the sink straight..

If you post a pic of the bottom of the bracket I can show you what needs to be done..

EDIT..

I found a pic.. tell me if you understand what im trying to show you.. :)

installedcopy4xl.jpg

thanks for the info jbmx4life

I've got my LPB in it and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to put an Ultra-D setup in it for all the reasons you brought up. It is build like a Battleship and the front panel is a real nice piece of aluminum. With the PSU in the top and 4 HDDs mine is definately a little top heavy.

Really shows that not all boards work in any case. Crap for NF4 and great for an NF2

Geez THunDA, that sure looks a hell of a lot easier than cutting off the IHS. Great photo man. Nice find.

Geez THunDA, that sure looks a hell of a lot easier than cutting off the IHS. Great photo man. Nice find.

I think he meant that is how you compensate for the ihs not being there (pressure wise) so that the heatsink will make good contact with the bare core

To get it to mount back with the right pressure you need to sand down the bottom of the plastic bracket... Other than that you just need to be carefull in mounting it and keep the sink straight..

If you post a pic of the bottom of the bracket I can show you what needs to be done..

EDIT..

I found a pic.. tell me if you understand what im trying to show you.. :)

installedcopy4xl.jpg

yup i understand ya fully chief, lol :nod:

thanks for the info jbmx4life

I've got my LPB in it and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to put an Ultra-D setup in it for all the reasons you brought up. It is build like a Battleship and the front panel is a real nice piece of aluminum. With the PSU in the top and 4 HDDs mine is definately a little top heavy.

Really shows that not all boards work in any case. Crap for NF4 and great for an NF2

well havin the ultra-d in there is nice even though you can't have the wind tunnel on unless you mod it. Yes the front door is a nice piece of aluminum but it is very restrictive in it nature. there are small slits with mesh screen behind it (nice for filtering) but the buttons and LED's sit right in front of the 120mm fan and the 80mm is offset, gets no airflow, and is set way back into the case. Like i said, there are quite a few design flaws that could be taken care of in order to make the case a bit more friendly.

i'll be the voice of dissent here and say that I would honestly never use a 'push-down' or 'clipped' sink on a bare cpu. Never ever.

I've cut the IHS off my 939 Sempron and am going to cut off both the 3200+ Winchester and Venice IHS...but I would ONLY use a bolt-thru design cooler (like Thermalright SLK-948U, or Danger Den TDX waterblock) because it is the only assured way of not grinding off a piece of the cache on the cpu since you can lay the sink flat on the top of the cpu cache and then tighten like lug nuts on a car wheel...

using an XP-90 (fantastic sink btw, i have 7 of them) on a bare cpu though is just a bad idea.

ok well with work and the hot temps here lately I have been quite slow to do anything (no a/c in the house). I am going to work on it this weekend, hopefully, and I am going to start by trying to modify the XP-90 to a bolt down configuration. I seen it done somewhere else but I am going to try it for my self once and see whut happens. wish me luck and i'll report back later.

J