Multiple Partitions on RAID 0 ???

BansheeRider

Ok, I heard a few people say that multiple partitions on a RAID 0 array could downgrade the performance a little, since the HD has to "readwrite from 2 dif places on the drive at the same time"...But I don't think I buy that....

I think it will be better having a OS partition and a small appdata partition and keep them defraged as needed!! 50GB100GB

I have 2 Seagate 7200.8 80GB HD's.... ~149GB RAID 0 nF4

Any opinions ??? :cool:

There is no truth to the rumor that setting up multiple partitions on a RAID-0 array will slow things down.

I have tested many such configurations and the RAID array is just as fast with one partition as it is with up to 5 partitions.

The speed limiting factor on RAID arrays is the cluster to stripe size ratio depending on many factors. To get the most out of your array you will need to experiment to determine what works best for you.

There is no truth to the rumor that setting up multiple partitions on a RAID-0 array will slow things down.

I have tested many such configurations and the RAID array is just as fast with one partition as it is with up to 5 partitions.

The speed limiting factor on RAID arrays is the cluster to stripe size ratio depending on many factors. To get the most out of your array you will need to experiment to determine what works best for you.

I heard you recomend the 4/1 ratio.....Since I am not putting many large files on this partition, I will try 16/4 stripe/cluster size and bench that. Currently I have 64/4, and I posted the results before.....207 burst and ~98 sustained

I have 4 primary partitions on my Raid 0 and I noticed a definite reduction in HD speed compared to a single partition.

Both on the 3112A and 3114 controllers.

Tmod