Sign in to follow this  
Gutterdude

X2 REMOVE THE IHS! then O/C :-)

dang what to do what to do!?

i have a x2 4400+ thats really not a great over clocker stock i can do 11x213 before one of the cores fails prime before upping the voltage. Ive see alot others that their 4400+ can easly do 11x230 ect on stock voltage. Id really like to get mine at around 2.6 or 2.7 right now i have it at 2500 10x250 i m using mushkin redline 3.2volts on the ram and about 1.44 volts on the processor. my ram is capable of around 265 at very tight timings 1.5-2-2-2

would it be best for me to take off the ihs and try to do 11x250 or so? Either that or sell the cpu and get another hoping its a better over clocker? i know my ram is good for around 260

if i loosen it up it errors up around 265. I have a swiftech storm kit. also would it be better to get gskill ram? i mean this redline ram is pretty damn snappy at these low timings and all but to push 260ish i need to pump 3.3 or 3.5 volts to them. Thanks for the advise! :^)

ps ive also been thinking about switching psu to a ocz 600watt powerstream. Just fron the debates ive seen about the silverstones.

http://www.tastyspleen.net/~applejacks/tempsvolts.jpg

thats my settings under full load running 2instances of prime95

Here is a pic of my 3800 A64 venice. This is my 5th AMD that I have removed the IHS. Generally I can pick up 60-80 more mhz by doing so. However this unit only gave me 40 mhz at slightly higher voltage. Worth it? To some yes. To others no. The easiest method for me is to use a single back razor blade and ROCK it back and forth on each edge working it closer to the middle each time. Takes about 5 minutes taking my time and not one damaged cpu. Proceed at your own risk and don't forget you lose any warranty.

Lee

Guest nomad

Somebody really has to try Solvoplast to confirm my results. Honestly it is as easy as cutting cheese. If you manged to damage your CPU after using it you would have to have your cheese cutting privaleges removed.

Angry, have you got your hands on any to try on one of your dead chips?

Somebody really has to try Solvoplast to confirm my results. Honestly it is as easy as cutting cheese. If you manged to damage your CPU after using it you would have to have your cheese cutting privaleges removed.

Angry, have you got your hands on any to try on one of your dead chips?

Have been to 3 drug stores and the pharmacy people can't find it.....

Found a place in Canada----and am waiting for them to respond....

Anybody know somewhere in the U.S. I can buy it----Online???

Hey John here is a pic. I still use active cooling but the little HS made it cooler..

Thank you!!!

I'm going to find that IC and do the same-----my little 60 mm fan that blows on the mosfets will blow right on that HS.....

Can't hurt...

I'm convinced (like you) that PWMIC above 55C stops overclock-----and stability!!

should i dip my cpu into isopropyl alcohol before removing it???will it be easier....????

Here is a pic of my 3800 A64 venice. This is my 5th AMD that I have removed the IHS. Generally I can pick up 60-80 more mhz by doing so. However this unit only gave me 40 mhz at slightly higher voltage. Worth it? To some yes. To others no. The easiest method for me is to use a single back razor blade and ROCK it back and forth on each edge working it closer to the middle each time. Takes about 5 minutes taking my time and not one damaged cpu. Proceed at your own risk and don't forget you lose any warranty.

Lee

Is your Venice E3 or E6?

You can judge it from its product number.

http://www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Si...n=ADA3800DAA4BW

I'm comparing the die size of Rev.E A64s.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpo...6&postcount=491

And I need many pics of Rev.E A64s with IHS removed.

I just picked up an E6 3000 from ewiz.com and have been considering removing the IHS, been talking to thunda about it, Im not sure if my SI97A will make good enough contact though without it, I have an idea of how to compensate but I might look into another HS option, if I do I'll definately snap a shot or 2 and send em your way

I just picked up an E6 3000 from ewiz.com and have been considering removing the IHS, been talking to thunda about it, Im not sure if my SI97A will make good enough contact though without it, I have an idea of how to compensate but I might look into another HS option, if I do I'll definately snap a shot or 2 and send em your way

Thank you.

I'm looking forward to it.

no promises, like I said, before I even attempt to remove it I need to make damn sure my cooling solution will make good enough contact or Ill have a snap shot of what a burnt up e6 looks like :(

Guest nomad

I talked to a pharmacist and she said they stopped making Solvo-Plast. I see a few places online that sell it, but they seem to be geared towards selling to hospitals.

I removed the IHS from my X2 4400+ today and it went as smoothly as my FX-53 using solvoplast. I sure wish they didn't stop making that stuff. Preliminary results are that I gained 60Mhz and shaved 4C off load and idle temps with .04v more.

That takes me to 2.81Ghz :nod: