X2 REMOVE THE IHS! then O/C :-)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing is SAFE when you're removing the IHS! It's all risky. But in theory putting on AS and a heatsink (carefully! cores without IHS are destroyed easily) should be fine, but it's all at your own risk.

How many people doing this have killed their chip???

The answer----from what I can gather, and looking on other forums is VERY, VERY few.

I read a story once and I wish I could find it-----that AMD chips DO NOT need an IHS at all----they are tough as heck....

They started putting the IHS on for marketing reasons more than anything else. (Does protect all those exposed caps a little.) Basically, it made the chip 'Look" bigger....Intel had an IHS etc. etc... it was a visual thing to coincide with their large price increases on all AMD chips------more hype than need. (Oh for the days of a 2500+ Barton at $69)

The old Athlons had no IHS and the RECOMMENDED, standard HS attachment method was a pressure push down clip.

My theory is once you get that IHS off-----you are totally danger free with any nomal attaching method.

I'm going to do it to a 3800+ X2 and use air cooling with it-----I'll let you know.....

IMHO removing the IHS was the best thing I could do on my X2 my temps with my Big Typhoon were over 60c while oc'in. I took it off and now it doesnt go over 45c. The biggest problem with my oc (hit a wall at 2.9ghz) was the PWMIC was going over 55c. I put a small HS over the ic and put another fan on it and now its at 45-48c under load. Now I am running 2 primes at 2.95ghz at 1.58v and my temps are 43c and PWMIC is at 48c. I am getting my mach1 this week and I am going to see what this chip is made of!

thats a big overclock

thanks for posting pics they will come in helpfull and good luck oc'ing

Thanks Absolute! I cant wait to get under phase then I can post some real oc's. But as soon as I run prime overnight I will post the results at 2.95ghz.

Is any modification to the mounting bracket needed for a Swiftech STORM block? I may be upgrading my cooling from the Koolance EXOS/ 300-H06 and I'm seriously considering removing my IHS.

Yes, it comes with two nylon washers that have to be cut in half. they are pretty tall to begin with.

And AMD chips ARE very strong. I originally took the whole mounting bracket off and just spring screwed it down, but I put uneven pressure and the chip made a dent in the waterblock...... To me that is plenty strong to not worry like some of you are :tooth:

And the storm block is definately worth every penny if thats what you are looking to get :D needs alot of flow though.

IMHO removing the IHS was the best thing I could do on my X2 my temps with my Big Typhoon were over 60c while oc'in. I took it off and now it doesnt go over 45c. The biggest problem with my oc (hit a wall at 2.9ghz) was the PWMIC was going over 55c. I put a small HS over the ic and put another fan on it and now its at 45-48c under load. Now I am running 2 primes at 2.95ghz at 1.58v and my temps are 43c and PWMIC is at 48c. I am getting my mach1 this week and I am going to see what this chip is made of!

Where did you put the HS----which IC on the board???

I have a fan blowing on the Mosfets-----PWMIC still gets up to around 60C at load.

John

Where did you put the HS----which IC on the board???

I have a fan blowing on the Mosfets-----PWMIC still gets up to around 60C at load.

John

Hey John here is a pic. I still use active cooling but the little HS made it cooler..