Sign in to follow this  
Gutterdude

X2 REMOVE THE IHS! then O/C :-)

Guest nomad
are you guys SURE that its not harmful to the cpu at all? (id like to know for sure as i will get some)

and WHY would Angry want to know more about this?

well it seems Angry decided that since AMD only made a few Sempron 939 cpu's that it would be no big loss if one got destroyed while figuring out how to get the damn thing apart...and I did get it apart (had to destroy a disposable razor head and even then it was still a classy lady).

I do see where i slightly gouged the organic top of the cpu...but...that sucker fired right up with an SLK-948U on top of it @ 2566Mhz almost instantly and effortlessly with 2x256MB BH-5 @ DDR166, HTT285, 3.2v, 2-2-5-2 (Sempron 3200+ 939 default multi is 9x)

so like everyone here...I be thinkin about doing this since that Sempron has NEVER fired up at almost 2600Mhz before, with some other cpu's that I have heh. And because i have some top notch watercooling set up.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE THAT ANYONE SHOULD DO THIS AS IT WILL KILL YOUR WARRANTY.

so keep that in mind.

but im a big tweaker like you guys are, and any advantage is a good advantage.

but getting that damn heatspreader off is just crazy hard in a way....some solvent that WONT harm the cpu and makes it real easy is going to really make a big difference for a lot of us...so please let me know if this stuff is for sure safe on these cpu's...and if so, Angry will go out and get some and then others will realize it probably is safe (or part of a bad conspiracy lol)

Well. I soaked my CPU in it for close to 24 hours. What I did was put it upside down, and filled a small container to the bottom of the substrate so it would come in contact with the silicone (or whatever it was) and left it.

I returned form work and was actaully quite nervous. I began to insert the blade (a Gillette dual edged straight razor) and was wondering why it was so easy...

I went around it twice and it wasn't coming off. Turned out some of the Solvoplast has gotten inside from the one side of the IHS that has the spot with no silicone and was creating a bit of a vacuum. Poped right off after i figured that out.

Now. I know that the internals of the CPU had been soaked in the Solvoplast for a long time. Stuck it back in my case and fired right up. Dropped 2c on my idle temp and 10c on load. Gonna start testing for max tonight.

All in all I would have to say therre is no damage to the CPU from Solvoplast. The next one I do will take less than 30 seconds becuase I know what is going on. And I know I will never damage anything.

After everything was said and done I rinsed the CPU off with 90% alcholol to get rid of the Solvoplast(it kinda stinks and is alittle greasy).

You can trust me Angry... then other people will trust what you say:)

Nomad

:)

heh thx for that nomad...i've already got momma out searchin for some Solvoplast so I can verify it myself (ive got a dead 3200+ winchester and dead 3500+ clawhammer to test it on, and then a 3200+ live venice to do a real test on haha)

here's my IHS-less Sempron 939 3200+:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...02&postcount=28

it was the first settings i just punched in to the bios and it freakin rocks 12.5h of prime95 without me have to adjust anything (do i know my BH-5 settings or what???? haha)

the 3dmark and aquamark scores are pretty crappy since its an X300SE 128MB PCI-E card...but the 12,000 even Aquamark cpu score is what i was interested in...plus it is on a DDR333 divider ;)

i do see where i gouged my sempron a little with the blade (I had to rip apart a disposable razor myself) but it seems 100% good and stable...now i just have to rob the 6800GT or some other decent PCI-E card and try it as i am definitely going to try and bench this thing higher.

The only problem is I have lots and lots and lots of good TCCD...but me and TCCD do NOT get along...i can run any and all bh-5 type memory without a hitch but %^[email protected]#@[email protected] TCCD just does not like me.

ok well enough babbling.

I'll report back on my Solvoplast adventure once I can find some locally (probably have to get it from Norco medical supply or order it from Canada)

Guest nomad
The only problem is I have lots and lots and lots of good TCCD...but me and TCCD do NOT get along...i can run any and all bh-5 type memory without a hitch but %^[email protected]#@[email protected] TCCD just does not like me.

If you are ever looking for a good home for some of your TCCD... look no further :nod:

Also that is sweet work on the Sempy.

Nomad

:angel: Here it is :angel:

X2 4600 at 2.7

corsair ddr 400 XMS Xpert at 2 2 2 5 1T

2 Raptors 74 gigs each at 10,000 rpm

2 BFG 7800 oc cards

water cooled by polar flo pump with a duall core radiator

in a mountain mod case UFO with the diamond cut out u cant ask for any better case for air flow i love it and ran prime stable for 6 hours with this setup totally awesome.. :):) On a dfi NF4 SLI-DR

My CPU maxes out (with reasonable voltage) at 2550. 2600 needs .09v more already. But I am happy with 2550 Mhz and cool temps. I will keep that solvoplast in mind for my quadcore AMD in 2007 *lol*

Guest burningrave101
diehrd: it does make a very good difference...my Sempron was a decent clocker before it had the IHS removed, but now it overclocks a lot better at lower voltages...so not sure what burninggrave is talking about but I've found a much much better overclock with the IHS off and using lower voltages than before ;)

What i am saying is that there is no reason for the chip to overclock better once the IHS is removed other then the fact temps are lowered and your able to increase the vCore more. Just removing IHS doesn't magically turn the chip into a better overclocker. It just makes it possible to use more voltage without it catching on fire. I mean look at how much voltage diehrd is using in that screenshot at 2.7Ghz. CPU-Z is reporting 1.664V which is lower then what he has set in the BIOS even. I could run 2.7Ghz too if i wanted to shoot that much voltage through my chip but i dont plan on using more then 1.5-1.55V at the most on a 90nm $600 CPU thats default voltage is only 1.35-1.4V.

I'm perfectly Prime95 stable myself at 2.6Ghz with only 1.45V. I dont think an extra 100Mhz is worth shaving off likely a third or half the CPU's life expectancy.

The reason for overclocking better may very well be the lower temps, but not in the way you see it. If the IHS isn't making correct contact, then one of the 2 cores will get so much hotter than the other one, stopping you from overclocking. Without IHS the heatsink makes correct contact to both cores, so the "hot" one get's a lot cooler and the normal one just a bit, and that is what makes it possible to overclock better. The CPU itself is as good as before, of course, and won't clock 1 Mhz higher then it could have done (in theory) before, just because of the removal of the IHS - but because of what was "cured" by removing it, you can actually get to that theorical limit.

And why should removing the IHS take anything off the life of the CPU? There have been CPUs without IHS, remember? :) The IHS is just a physical protection for the core, not a requirement.

Please quit!!!! You guys are tempting me :nod:

You know you want to strip her... lol.. :nod:

:angel: Here it is :angel:

X2 4600 at 2.7

corsair ddr 400 XMS Xpert at 2 2 2 5 1T

2 Raptors 74 gigs each at 10,000 rpm

2 BFG 7800 oc cards

water cooled by polar flo pump with a duall core radiator

in a mountain mod case UFO with the diamond cut out u cant ask for any better case for air flow i love it and ran prime stable for 6 hours with this setup totally awesome.. :):) On a dfi NF4 SLI-DR

smooth6x6.. Please make a sig with your complete system specs.. If you are unsure how to do this check out the links in my sig..

quick question, with these dually cores do you set values for both concurrently in the bios, ie in the bios its just like you would be keying in parameters with a single core or do you get individual control of each core? about the IHS thing, if some dont make good contact and you were not even considering OCing to begin with, wouldn't it still make smart sense to remove the lid to ensure good contact, I would think flush contact would increase life expetcancy oced or not, I have been working with Athlons since the first Tbirds and have yet to crack or chip a core, once this lids off I would think its the same process as if you were using the 4 mouting holes around a socket a chip, if you just take your time, follow the steps carefully whats the concern? I would think theres more chance for a mishap getting the lid off, once thats off it should be just like mounting an exposed core XP right?

What i am saying is that there is no reason for the chip to overclock better once the IHS is removed other then the fact temps are lowered and your able to increase the vCore more. Just removing IHS doesn't magically turn the chip into a better overclocker. It just makes it possible to use more voltage without it catching on fire. I mean look at how much voltage diehrd is using in that screenshot at 2.7Ghz. CPU-Z is reporting 1.664V which is lower then what he has set in the BIOS even. I could run 2.7Ghz too if i wanted to shoot that much voltage through my chip but i dont plan on using more then 1.5-1.55V at the most on a 90nm $600 CPU thats default voltage is only 1.35-1.4V.

I'm perfectly Prime95 stable myself at 2.6Ghz with only 1.45V. I dont think an extra 100Mhz is worth shaving off likely a third or half the CPU's life expectancy.

What you are seeing is the voltage i used at 2.45 that did not prime or even super pi....

When I did the mod all I did was toss chip in rig and boot,,Run Pi ..reboot set it to 270x10 and run it again ..

Edit:: I am at 1.5 Now ...screenie if someone needs to see it...But thanks for reminding me about voltages ...

jeremywills: The BIOS settings are just like with a single core, you can't set anything seperately. And yes, I think that removing the IHS may actually give you more life expectancy, because if the IHS isn't applied properly and one core get's much hotter than the other one (which you can't see because you only get ONE temp output), then this can't be healthy. In fact, you may think the CPU temp is ok where as in fact one core is always too hot...