Sign in to follow this  
Gutterdude

X2 REMOVE THE IHS! then O/C :-)

Weird, my first thought about that wasn't "Hooray, an easier way", but "will it dissolve other parts of the CPU as well?" :nod:

But it obviously doesn't so that sounds a very good way to do.

are you guys SURE that its not harmful to the cpu at all? (id like to know for sure as i will get some)

and WHY would Angry want to know more about this?

well it seems Angry decided that since AMD only made a few Sempron 939 cpu's that it would be no big loss if one got destroyed while figuring out how to get the damn thing apart...and I did get it apart (had to destroy a disposable razor head and even then it was still a classy lady).

I do see where i slightly gouged the organic top of the cpu...but...that sucker fired right up with an SLK-948U on top of it @ 2566Mhz almost instantly and effortlessly with 2x256MB BH-5 @ DDR166, HTT285, 3.2v, 2-2-5-2 (Sempron 3200+ 939 default multi is 9x)

so like everyone here...I be thinkin about doing this since that Sempron has NEVER fired up at almost 2600Mhz before, with some other cpu's that I have heh. And because i have some top notch watercooling set up.

I DO NOT ADVOCATE THAT ANYONE SHOULD DO THIS AS IT WILL KILL YOUR WARRANTY.

so keep that in mind.

but im a big tweaker like you guys are, and any advantage is a good advantage.

but getting that damn heatspreader off is just crazy hard in a way....some solvent that WONT harm the cpu and makes it real easy is going to really make a big difference for a lot of us...so please let me know if this stuff is for sure safe on these cpu's...and if so, Angry will go out and get some and then others will realize it probably is safe (or part of a bad conspiracy lol)

OK people, I'm going to do this the cheap-skate, tight arse way! I'm running a Winnie 3000+ atm, and I'm looking to update to a sandie 3700+. No way I'm getting an x2, as I am running sli, and I get scared by all the people with lots of dollars who post that their 4800 x2 with 7800gt sli systems don't work..

After I get my sandie and it is all running fine and stable, I'll flip the lid off the winnie and start playing with it. I was going to sell it, but my winnie is a . overclocker, so I'll be interested to see if it is improved by flipping the lid and smudging a bit of Arctic Silver on it.

ricey

Guest burningrave101
are you guys SURE that its not harmful to the cpu at all? (id like to know for sure as i will get some)

There is nothing it can hurt outside of you taking the chance at cracking the core when installing a heatsink and the fact you void the warranty. And yes i know overclocking voids the warranty too but AMD and Intel can't tell a CPU has been overclocked unless you burn out the chip or something but i'm sure they can easily tell you've removed the IHS even if you put it back on.

Removing the IHS will definitely improve temps some but unless your running very hot at the voltage your willing to use then its not going to increase its overclockability much if any at all. Removing the IHS would just allow you to pump more voltage into the chip and i personally dont plan on using more then 1.5-1.55V at the most on a $600 CPU so i can gain an extra worthless 100-200Mhz.

I know I was sweating bullets when I pulled the IHS off my 3400+.

But I was very careful and used the foam from the packaging to cover the pins while i did it and also it gave me something to grip without bending the pins.

the local pharmacist told me she could order the stuff to the tune of 5 dollars and so Im sure any pharmacy will probalby tell you the same, I would assume since its a medical product that it would not contain anything toxic that could harm the cpu, the lady said yes that other people do utilize it as a general adhesive as well as for medical purposes, she said because stuff like goop off and the like have chemical solvents in them, this stuff wont destroy plastic and stuff, so I would think its not gonna melt the cpu either, otherwise it would melt your skin right?

Well guess what..I removed the IHS from my X2 4400

And i am convnced it does make a big difference.But before i post a screen shot of my results let me first put some fears to rest AND add some twists no one has mentioned as of yet.

First of all getting the heat spreader off is very easy.I used a RAZOR from a disposable shaver because only 1 edge is sharp and it makes it safer .

To make it even easier I used NAIL POLISH remover around edges to soften up the adheasive.That made it easy as pie and taking my time I would say you will invest 30 minutes JUST getting the H/S off.

Word of caution that has been left out..CAREFULL handling and holding CPU so that you do not bend a pin AND LOOK CLOSELY when you are done to be sure you did not.

Ok here is what is left out of doing this MOD.."DFI-SLI-DR Board"

If you use a water block Exspecially the Swifty 6002 you have to shave not only the inside of the plastic main board bracket BUT YOU also have to cut off the NUBS on the top of it where the screws pass through so your block can be tightned properly to the core.( I warn against just bending up the bracket on the 6002)

Ok for results..

I could not super PI at anything above 2.44 ! NOT even the 1m test.Cpu 0 would fail in 3 or less cycles..

After I pulled the heat spreader and cleaned the core and did the above alterations I am able to Super PI . . Not just the 1M test but I let it run the 16M test and here is a screen shot of how it did ...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/results2.jpg

Bear in mind I was a bit peed off at results I had been getting.So much so that I felt this mod was a joke,I did it only because I wanted to see if this was B/S or not..AND I tested the super PI run at first boot up where it was failing 245x10...It passed..THEN I set bios to 270 x 10 (NO OTHER CHANGES) set 2 instances of super PI to run on each core at 16M and left to get lunch..No in between tests from 2.45 to 2.7..

Load temps 38c Idle 27c , Chip set 43c load . voltage modual 46c ( Have fan on it)

diehrd: it does make a very good difference...my Sempron was a decent clocker before it had the IHS removed, but now it overclocks a lot better at lower voltages...so not sure what burninggrave is talking about but I've found a much much better overclock with the IHS off and using lower voltages than before ;)

im gonna have our pharmacist order some of that solvoplat stuff

It made massive difference,,Not an ok difference BUT massive...

I am so shocked I am besides my self..And I was one who doubted removing the IHS could have any real world effect,,,Well I have been proven wrong nicely...

EDIT FOR SCREEN SHOT...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/diehrd/SanPICpuZ.jpg

No Screen shot yet but prime stable for 90 Minutes so far .. I could not prime CPU 0 for 1 minute at 2450 before..