X2 REMOVE THE IHS! then O/C :-)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Basically they are preparing themselves for the "I told you not to do it" if you come back screaming and crying about your brand new X2 in 1/2's. To put it bluntly, you're at a high risk of breaking your chip, for max 5ºC difference. Yes, that could yeild 100Mhz or more on the overclock, but honestly, I'd rather have a working X2 than not. I can't beleive you guys are OC/ing them already. Aren't you happy enough with it @ stock? :S

Basically they are preparing themselves for the "I told you not to do it" if you come back screaming and crying about your brand new X2 in 1/2's. To put it bluntly, you're at a high risk of breaking your chip, for max 5ºC difference. Yes, that could yeild 100Mhz or more on the overclock, but honestly, I'd rather have a working X2 than not. I can't beleive you guys are OC/ing them already. Aren't you happy enough with it @ stock? :S

You 100% right about the risk.. and its good they are making it known to people reading..

As far as the overclocking thing.. Well this is the Overclocking section .. ;)

Guest nomad
You 100% right about the risk.. and its good they are making it known to people reading..

As far as the overclocking thing.. Well this is the Overclocking section .. ;)

And not only is this the overclocking section, it is the overclocking section of the best overclocking boards. :nod:

I've destroyed valuable hardware myself quite a bit, so I know from first hand experience that when that happens, you feel like an idiot. Why not stay at stock. Why? Why? Why?

Well, because it's my hobby, it's fun when it works, it's great to have more than you paid for, etc. etc. Some people put stamps in books, some people collect dead butterflies... we do weird things to hardware. :nod:

But I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it if he's not 110$ prepared to see his CPU die and blame HIMSELF for it, noone else.

Oh and yes, I *was* content with the stock speed. But I wouldn't be much of an overclocker if I wouldn't try to get as much out if it as possible. It's like buying a 0.33l beer and you get served a gallon, but you only drink 0.33l... ;)

hey this sounds mighty interesting, might help me get 3ghz on my X2, I've tried reseatting the little sod, (put loads of thermal paste on the 1st time since it seemed to say that in the vapochill manual) but even with a thin smooth layer as you'd normally do with an air cooler it only allowed me an extra 1mhz on the FSB x 12 mult for an extra 12mhz...Charmin!

But hmm this sounds scary, n mines a 4800+ cost £699...

Not that I'd dream of it ;), but when the IHS is "removed" are you actually cutting anything or just wedging it loose with the razor blade, like when you remove the shimmy on a radeon card with an arctic cooler?

some pics would be really good :)

Guest nomad

Ok guys... I got something major to report. If you soak your CPU in a product called Solvoplast (used to remove bandaids and other adheasives) you will be able to remove the IHS in under 10 seconds with a good razor and drastically reduce your chances of damaging your CPU.

If you are members of XtremeSystems please post this in thier IHS removal thread.

I works soooo good. I left my FX-53 upside down in just enough to cover the silicone seal overnight and came home from work and had it done in less that 2 minutes, and half was wonding why it was so easy :)

Nomad

Ok guys... I got something major to report. If you soak your CPU in a product called Solvoplast (used to remove bandaids and other adheasives) you will be able to remove the IHS in under 10 seconds with a good razor and drastically reduce your chances of damaging your CPU.

If you are members of XtremeSystems please post this in thier IHS removal thread.

I works soooo good. I left my FX-53 upside down in just enough to cover the silicone seal overnight and came home from work and had it done in less that 2 minutes, and half was wonding why it was so easy :)

Nomad

Good tip dude.. Thanks :)

Guest nomad

My Girlfriends' Mom is a nurse, and she had it kicking around. I have no idea where she got it. I will ask here were a good place would be to look.

I will get back to you on this.

EDIT: I just googled it and found a bunch of places that sell it.

Just look for "Solvoplast"

i did too and actually didnt find much on google :(

typed it exactly like you did too, I did find a forum on Yamaha snowmobiles where someone suggested using it to remove stickers etc :) hmm all these ways to use something that is just for bandaids :)

anyhow ill ask next time im at the pharmacy