X2 REMOVE THE IHS! then O/C :-)

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 7 months later...

haha nice post t_ski

on the previous topic... if you'e going to get something shaved down to the right thickness... why not just get them to shave a piece of metal to be a shim like the old Socket A shims? lol keep your IHS and make a keyring :-)

once the ihs is removed, some heatsinks may hit the Ziff. if that is the case all one has to do is mark where it interfers, then grind off a small amount in the offending area for proper clearance. absolutely flat attachment with the now much smaller surface area is paramount.................

as far as the coins go, it is an option, i found that when I removed the IHS on a cpu for the first time, and using and xp120 to coolio, I just carefully bent the clips to increase the tension, and all was good....

as far as I am concerned, it isn't worth the effort for the few degrees one may get. there are exceptions, the factory can throw out an occassional slightly mismounted IHS, limited or too much thermal compound, and the occasional dualcore that has a large disparity between core temps...in these cases it may be beneficial.....and of course, the fanatic overclocker cooling with phase or some other exotic stuffs, every degree counts.........

none of my IHS removals improved a OC, if that helps.....

laterz