Sign in to follow this  
pooface5

Computer powered off out of nowhere?

Have no idea how this happened, but while playing UT2k4 my computer just suddenly turned off. Turned it back on with no problems. I doubt it had anything to do with the power in the house, because my cable modem lights seemed normal right after.

Any ideas? This cant have anything to do with drivers can it? Most recent change I made was updating my nvidia forceware drivers to 77.76.

that's actually a blue screen of death... windows turns your computer off when you get a BSOD.

most likely video card issues, the game itself may have an instability issue with the drivers, or any other kind of oddity with the code in the game.

it may be nothing at all, or, more than likely, it's imperfect coding on either the coders of UT2k4 or drivers fault.

on a side-note, not to be argumentitive, but i also have that option set and it seems like it would still turn the comp off without showing the BSOD occasionally. of course, this doesn't discount other possibilities.

I guess it was a power outage. Weird how the cable lights were green though, i may i have look at it a bit too late. The second time it happened i looked and the cable lights were red, and downstairs the tv shut off. So definately power outage.

Thanks.

yea, your cable modem's lights probably didn't go out because the capaciters inside of it hadn't discharged yet. the ones in your PSU did discharge already, however.