Sign in to follow this  
zstryder

RAM 'stuck' at 166MHz.. won't go up to 200MHz on LPB

Excellent. So it was Cas 3 causing the issue.

I doubt you'll have any issues running Cas 2.5 with that ram. Personally i've never used any Cas 3 rated PC3200 that couldn't handle 2.5 at 200mhz.

Yeah, that's what it seems like so far. I will let you guys know the final outcome when I get home tonight.

Stupid RAM. See if I trust manufacturer specs again, haha. :P

On the downside, Windows is really fuqqed up now since I've probably randomly crashed/rebooted about 20 times in the last 24 hours.. might as well do a refresh install again, I guess!

You should reinstall after that many BSOD's

Funny thing was, I never got any BSOD's. It just restarted and went straight to the POST screen.

yep its pretty boogered then :) a reinstall would be the best bet :)

I see your on the 11/24 bios according to the sig, you might want to try the 6/19 at some point as it seems to be the one for mobile support

work in .5 increments with your multi and .25 with your cpu volts, just try 10, then 10.5, 11, 11.5 and so forth until it seems as if maybe the volts are not enough, then go back and try the .25 increments, so if your at lets say 1.5, go 1.525, then 1.550, 1.575 and so forth until you get it to post, you should be able to hit 200 times 12 with something in the 1.6 to 1.7 cpu volt range, Im currently doing 200x12 with the cpu volts set at 1.625 and its running FAH all day long no sweat, my RAM sucks with these boards so Im not pushing any further for now, I dont forsee any reson of you hitting this at least either, 2.4 or anything over its stock rated speed is gravy anyways, so best to be safe and clock it back a tad for stability instead of going for the absolute, at least thats what I suggest

Thanks for all the help guys!

Right now I'm at my goal of 10.5x, with 1.525V. I haven't been running super intensive prime tests, but seeing as how when my system was flaky, it failed in the first 5 min, so one hour testing periods seems reasonable for now. Once I reach what I think is a stable limit, I'll run it all night and day while I'm at work to see if the sucker is really stable.

An odd thing I noticed is that sometimes my USB devices will just randomly 'die'. And even if I take them out and plug them back in, it doesn't seem to reset. It's almost as if the USB port just stopped working. When I reboot, everything is ok again. I'm not sure if this is a side effect of my OCing, or maybe just because Windows is so busted from the crashing.

I guess I will reinstall Windows tonight and see what happens...

Ok, got it stable at 11x, at 1.55V. It kept crashing on me until I turned up the juice a little.

jeremywills, I guess I'll keep pushing till 12, as you suggested. Is 2.4 the suggested 'safe' OC?

Okay, looks like I can't push any more than 11x. I can't get 11.5x stable, and I've pushed the vcore to 1.725V. I'm a little hesitant to add anymore juice, I can get into Windows, but it'll crash right after. I remember reading that single channel provides better overclocks - is that better overclocks in reference to the RAM, or in reference to the CPU?

single should give you more stability on the ram

if 11 is the last place you were stable or so it seemed that might be your limit if your hesistant to put any more juice in the cpu

Well, I was re-installing Windows.. and halfway through the install my mouse died. (it's connected via USB)

Is it possible the overclock is making the USB ports go wacky? I noticed this earlier, but when I let prime run for about 2 hours and returned, my mouse had stopped working. The keyboard (also on USB) seemed to work, though. For what it's worth, my mouse is daisy-chained through my monitor to my computer. It was never a problem before, though.

Has this ever happened to anyone before?

ps. when my mouse died, the optical light was still on. but when i unplugged and replugged it, the light wouldn't come back on. it's almost as if the USB ports just stopped functioning, somehow...

If you were trying to install an OS on an OCed rig it's a bad idea,I like mine close to default specs as possible when installing.

What kind of V's are you using on the NB,I've had higher temps on that area kill my USB mouse,this is a very good proggy for monitoring,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=mbm5

Hmm.. guess I'll keep that in mind when installing the OS next time. The 2nd time it seemed to go without a hitch.

I didn't know MBM could check NB temps? After I'm done setting up Windows I'll give that link a whirl and report back. Thanks.

Okay, installed Windows on a clean machine. USB ports stopped freezing, but I still get random freezes once in awhile where explorer will stop responding, and then task manager stops responding too, and then Windows basically takes a . and stops responding (even though I can move the mouse around) and I have to do a forced reset.

Looking at my MBM numbers, my 12V rail looks suspiciously low. I guess I should double check my 12V hookup (it is connected) maybe my PSU is a dud? It is new (got it new with the LBP) so perhaps I may need to RMA it.

Could that low 12V be the source of all my issues?

EDIT: oops, forgot to attach the pic: