Sign in to follow this  
Gaara v2.0

high end rig acting stupid

i have run out of patience with my new build as of yesterday. I dont know what the problem is, but i suspect it is lack of power juice. Here is the problem:

Almost always, during Half life 2, id say anywhere from 5-10 minutes, my computer reboots, with a blank screen, or reboots to desktop, then reboots again, its pretty random, but usually it crashes first. I used to think it was overheating, but it cant be, because i get the same problems from another area. this was the first area

The other area is, when i put in a data dvd that i had made, to copy files such as mp3's from, when i go to explore it, or just view disc contents, browse around for a sec, the computer then reboots on its own, sometimes it will freeze during reboot, sometimes not. If it does make it to the desktop, it reboots right when it gets to the desktop, most i seen it do that was 2 times after hittting desktop. I tested each cd/dvd data disc on another computer and i get no problems. I am having really no trouble installing games, or applications though, so i dont think its the dvd drive. I also tried installing drivers via exe usb2 from both a cd, and on the drive itself, and the computer kept rebooting, acting the same way it did when i tried to view a discs contents. Is this a power thing or what? what is causing these reboots? thx

p.s my power supply is a OCZ Modstream 520

what bios are you using? put it in your signature. are you overclocked at all? have you tried qualifying the ram w/ memtest?

geez, does anyone have that Plextor SATA Drive working properly?

i have the official 3/10 bios on the website, nothing is overclocked

i did do memtest, i only let it do like 3 passes... how long should i let it run for?

Did you build your rig using this guide?

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6615

If you did use the guide did you follow the instructions to the letter?

By this I mean using memtest to qualify your RAM one stick at a time then as a pair?

Did you install the OS at stock speeds? Once the OS was installed, did you run Prime95 for at least 8 hours to check for stability?

Lots of questions but it's the only way to rule out simple problems.

Some apps that is incompatible with AMD drivers will cause reboot or hang at wellcome screen or just about desktop loaded.

From what I understand you should flash your bios to 5.10 or later (6.23) in order for the board to handle your processor correctly.

Doh!

Missed the X2 processor in the sig. You really need to load the 5/10 BIOS at the very least.