is CH5 memory pants?

ive currently got the corsair ram thats in my sig running at stock. but im after getting over 2ghz from my cpu but i cant get the fsb any higher than 220 as the system is then unstable it doesnt even run superPI. and games dont run for very long.

so im looking for anyone else with this sort of ram to see if theyve got better speeds and how

:)

im also pretty new to AMD64 overclocking so any pointers would be great

cheers

just the default volts as ive read the opposite, that they dont like anymore volts than 2.6-2.7.

this is one area of overclocking that ive not done before, is there anything to remember when changing volts?

:)

Your thinking of TCCD. Winbond ram like BH-5, CH-5 and UTT BH-5 & CH-5 like volts.

When giving them really high volts you need to get some active cooling on your ram sticks(a fan blowing directly on them). Personally i like to use active cooling on anything over 3v, which would be even more important if you have high case temps.

I'd start off with 2.9v, you should be fine at that voltage,(i used to run my ram at 2.9v with no active cooling at all), then see how far you can go with that voltage taking it higher slowly, doing thorough testing with memtest86.

right so, if i up the ram temperature to 2.9 and dont go beyond that you reckon the heat should be about right without putting a fan on it?

i take it theres no chance of the ram popping or anything is there the higher up i go?

You should be fine with 2.9v on CH-5 :)

I've used 2.9v on all different memory without any problems.

The higher up mhz you mean? No. Obviously you have to be wary when taking the volts higher(too much voltage kills yes...). I take my BH-5 upto 3.3v with a fan on them. Theres ppl here using UTT Winbond who use even higher...

Some guides and such say the max recommended voltage for CH-5 is 3.1v(try reading the one over here at TechPowerUp for instance, click CH-5 next to your memory module Corsair XMS-PC3200LL Rev1.2), but ppl have taken them even higher with active cooling.

Hello,

I would recommend using low voltage memory modules.

Something with TCCD/TCC5.

Will overclock to ~ 2.5-3-3-7 @2.8v @275Mhz.

Are you using 1x1GB stick or 2x512MB?

What are the rated timings? 2-3-2-6?

When overclocking you must change the LDT ratio too.

Yeah, but hes got CH-5 Sharp and wants to know how to get the best out of it.

Unless he wants to upgrade to some TCC5 or TCCD then yeah, that definitely would be a better idea. He could sell the CH-5 on Ebay for a decent price most likely...

right so, if i up the ram temperature to 2.9 and dont go beyond that you reckon the heat should be about right without putting a fan on it?

i take it theres no chance of the ram popping or anything is there the higher up i go?

I've run CH5 and UTT/CH5 at 3.3v on a daily basis and have had no probs.

cheers guys, so this ram has got a bit more headroom then, im just not using it properly yet?

so my first port of call is the volts. then to lower the LDT? whats this? is it the HTT thingy?

my ram runs at 2-3-2-6 like was mentioned above and its 2x512 sticks. i dont really want to sell it as the price for 2nd hand ram has gone through the floor.

im not after big numbers, i wouldnt mind cracking the 2ghz on my 1.8ghz 2800 though.

anything around 225x9 really would do me for now.

CH-5 likes volts and not tight timings BH-5 was for good timings.

My buffalo mem has CH-5 and runs at 233 2.5 3 8 3 2t with anywhere from 2.9 - 3.2 volts. Just wont go more. but there are some that do much more with the 3.2 volts.

Also winbond rated there BH-5 and CH-5 to 3.6v so you shouldnt have any problem with what the MB gives you.

ok, bit of an update on what ive tried so far.

ive put the cpc to 2T and gave the mem 2.7v as i havnt got active cooling on it yet so dont really want to go anymore. pushed LDT to 3x.

tried pushing it up to 225 but it doesnt run superPI at all, just get errors.

i dont think its a problem with heat on the cpu or anything as the temp doesnt really go up maybe 1-2c at most.

the timings of the ram are 2-3-2-6, maybe i could change those to get a bit of stability?