3700 Sandy or 3800 Venice

Have you lookeed in the OCDB?,maybe that would help,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

I've did something very similar w/my bios saviour,live and learn eh?

Yeah I've had a good nose through and still there's not much in it. I think I may go for the Sandy, just have a gut feeling that the 1 meg cache may come in useful down the line.

Right funds are all in place but I'm off on holiday for the first 2 weeks of August so will wait to order the new parts till I get back, also gives me time to see if DFI manage to write a decent stable BIOS for the NF3 939 Ultra-D.

Shopping list at present is:

3700+ Sandy

Ultra-D NF3 939

XP-120

everything else I need is coming from the system in my sig. Anything I should bear in mind or any further advice welcomed.

Also how well are my BH-5s gonna hold up in the new build?

all the venice's OC to about 2.7, and many people achieve it, so you might as well get the 3000+, put the extra 400 dollars towards another gig of ram and/or another/better video card. Unless you opt for the sandy, for the additional 512k of cache. I don't know how well the sandy will OC to 2.7 though. Yes, the 3800 venice has higher multiplier's but they're not really needed. Many people with 3200+ and above use a lower multi when OC'ing any way.

So in theory if I go for a 3200 Venice with the same 11 multi as the 3700 San Diego, I should be able to reach similar speeds and performance?

My system is mostly a gaming rig, also do a bit of DVD ripping and video editing along with a hefty amount of music production.

the venice 3200+ has a 10 multi, you wont need mora than a 10- 11 multi, if you have good bh5 say you can get 260 fsb you'll have 2600mhz 1:1 if you want more you can use dividers, i'll buy the sandy 3700+ more cache make a diference not huge but it's there.

with the sandy you can get a FX cpu, with the venice i'll never be a FX cpu (with oc and same mhz i mean)

the venice 3200+ has a 10 multi, you wont need mora than a 10- 11 multi, if you have good bh5 say you can get 260 fsb you'll have 2600mhz 1:1 if you want more you can use dividers, i'll buy the sandy 3700+ more cache make a diference not huge but it's there.

with the sandy you can get a FX cpu, with the venice i'll never be a FX cpu (with oc and same mhz i mean)

My mistake I meant a 3500 Venice with 11 multi....

My gut instinct is drawing me toward the 3700 Sandy but its all so new to me at the moment, this will be my first 64bit system and I'm still not 100% on all these new BIOS settings and what have yous.

My aim is to get as close to 3GHz as possible with 3 being the golden star...

for 3ghz with out a doubt you need a fx cpu a 55 or 57 maybe a sd 4000+, but all other cpus oc around the same 2.7-2.8ghz with normal cooling (good air normal water)

if you want a venice get the 3200+ is has a good multi and you dont pay extra $$

if you want a SD get the 3700+ its a good one 2.8ghz should be doable more is luck and dependes on other parts of the rig

Yup I know 3GHz is not realistic, but you have to set your sights high to achieve anything, in reality stable at 2.8 would be more than enough beans for me. My BH-5 are rock solid and hold 250-60 easy, the rails on my PSU are bang on the nose and never drop a cent, gonna stick an XP-120 on to cool her to begin with maybe moving to Water later on.

i think the most wise aim for a Sandro or Venice is 2.8Ghz while the 2.7 is very normal

so i think if u don't mind get a Venice 3200+ with a 10x multi like mine which i am using it @ 300x9 @ 1.41Vcore 24/7 without any problems and i am sure the diff between the perfromance of the 2.8GHz and the 2.7GHz doesn't deserve 100$ or more at all