3700 Sandy or 3800 Venice

Right the funds are all sorted for my next build (and not a moment to soon managed to bad flash my NF2 and the Saviour in my bleary eyed frustration last night :rolleyes: )

So I'm gonna get the NF3 939 board so I can keep my nice Gainward AGP card. I'm gonna drop a XP120 ontop of either the 3700 Sandy or 3800 Venice and feed it my old school BH-5.

Which chip should I go for?

i think u need to read more about O/Cing

u will know that those cpus has a fixed mutliplier, u can lower it but can't get any higher than it

the for example my Venice 3200+ is2GHz which has FSB =200 and multi =10x i can make it run using multi 9 or 8 or 7 and so on but the highest i can use the one default one

so the 3700+ or the 3800+'s mutli can be known by dividing their total MGZ by 200FSB and this will be the largest mutli u can use on each of them

they both O/C around 2700~2800MHZ anywhere above this will be very lucky

i think u need to read more about O/Cing

u will know that those cpus has a fixed mutliplier, u can lower it but can't get any higher than it

the for example my Venice 3200+ is2GHz which has FSB =200 and multi =10x i can make it run using multi 9 or 8 or 7 and so on but the highest i can use the one default one

so the 3700+ or the 3800+'s mutli can be known by dividing their total MGZ by 200FSB and this will be the largest mutli u can use on each of them

they both O/C around 2700~2800MHZ anywhere above this will be very lucky

I understand about these chips being multi locked. Been building systems and OCing for years.

All I wanted to know was the default max multi on each chip as this affects your max potential clock after all is said and done. I admit I was being lazy instead of going and finding the info.

Guest Lucky

I would go for the Venice. The 12x multi will come in handy and the Venice seem to be o/c ing as good as the SD's. You wont even notice the 1Mb cache. 2.4Ghz 1.4v Vs 2.2Ghz 1.4v HERE is a good read.

Right the funds are all sorted for my next build (and not a moment to soon managed to bad flash my NF2 and the Saviour in my bleary eyed frustration last night )

Forget to flip the switch?

Forget to flip the switch?

bad flashed one chip, then without paying any attention to what I was doing badflashed the other in exactly the same way oops! Irony is the moment I hit the power off switch I knew I'd done it, could have sorted it if I had realise a second earlier. Ah well tweak and learn : clock and burn.

I would go for the Venice. The 12x multi will come in handy and the Venice seem to be o/c ing as good as the SD's. You wont even notice the 1Mb cache. 2.4Ghz 1.4v Vs 2.2Ghz 1.4v HERE is a good read.

See this is the trade off I'm umming and ahhing over. The 1 meg cache which currently doesn't seem to increase performance much seriously marginal gains or the x 12 multi in the hope of getting a higher final clock speed.

I just can't decide...