Sign in to follow this  
Vektor

Which DVD +R/RW to Get

I didn't know where else to put this so sorry in advance if it's in the wrong place. I just need one thing more to finish my system. I think I'll just get one dvd burner and use it for everything. that way I'll have more room in my case for future water mods and such.

I'm pretty much broke. If I weren't I'd probably drop 133.00 on a plextor and be done with it. But I am so I'm leaning towards spending 60.00 odd dollars on a pioneer model 109. I just want a good reliable drive that is a good deal.

Are there any strong preferances for a low cost solution. 16x dvd 40 or 48 x cdr.You know the basic of whats available today.

Also I'm trying to decide sata or IDE. Sata would sure make for a clean case. Thanks in advance.

Lucky Goldstar (LG) are fast, cheap, and silent. LiteOn are identical, but a little louder. They are almost all made by Matshita Electronics, so whatever is the cheapest is the best value, all are similar quality.

When Plextor was the only WORM drive on the market with any bufer-underrun protection, they were worth their high prices, but these days, it's all the same.

I say get the LG just for the fact they are almost completely silent.

I got two Lite On's for my rig that I built last month, but returned them. They were so loud that they scared my 5yr daughter. She thought they were going to blow up, it was so bad she refused to play her "Knowledge" software.

My new Asus drives are MUCH quieter. I like the noise level, but have had problems with them too.

Guest Shibby

I've got the NEC 3520 (newest one is 3540, I believe). A little while ago, the NEC's came out on top in a comparison of a bunch of different drives on anandtech (NEC 3510 in the review, I believe). It gets 2 thumbs up from me.

Thanks I just ordered the NEC 3540a. It was a great price I'm glad to know it is also a good drive. :P Thats the last necessary component for a fully functional computer.

Momentous...