Is it time to RMA my SLI-DR?

For the last 5 months I haven't had any problems running my rig in SLI mode. However, I started up my rig to update the GPU & mobo drivers but I came across a problem.

I updated the mobo drivers fine but the GPU is a different story.

In device manager, one of the GPU's (bottom one, PCI-e slot 4) had a error saying that the device couldn't start. I removed all the GPU drivers, rebooted and installed them again but the same message was there.

So I removed the drivers again but this time I switched the GPU's around to see if it was one of the GPU's. Once I reinstalled the drivers, the GPU in PCI-e slot 4 was reporting the same error as before.

This leaves me to belive that the PCI-e4 slot is faulty. :sad:

I've also tried resetting / reflashing the BIOS but that didn't help.

Is there something I've overlooked or is it time to RMA the mobo?

you said that you were running fine in SLI for the past 5 months. if everything was fine, why did you update your drivers??? try rolling back the drivers and see if it fixes the problem. also, 510 bios version or later has support for your CPU

The reason I was updating the drivers to see if I got any improvement in FPS within games.

I forgot to say that I did a system restore to the point before I installed the new drivers and the problem was still there.

I don't think your mobo has anything to do with it. I will strongly look at system restore as my primary suspect. Just because its Microsoft. :) Bashing Billy, I like. :) In any case, you must download and save new driver package, uninstall old drivers, reboot and then install new drivers. This is my process.

If you want to take a clean road... here is what I suggest:

1. Flasheth the BIOS to 6/23/05 version before anything else you do.. :) and clear CMOS following every single direction given by pershoot and AG.

2. If you have 4 bucks in your pocket then go to http://www.bootdisk.com and download all the utilities from there...most important one is XP boot CD. (just marvellous!!)

3. Now used the XP boot CD to wipe the HDD and fill with Zeros :D

:confused: ? Don't worry.

4. Install Win XP fresh with all the crap disabled in BIOS mainly SHADOW and devices that you do not need. I will double check to make sure I don't have any USB devices connected to the PC at this time.

5. Install LAN driver/ Wireless Connection first.

6. Then install Disk Burning software (optional)

7. Install Ghost 2003 (if you have) .... you should have, its a must. :) :) Skip to step 13 if you don't have Ghost 2003.

8. Log off and Reboot.

9. Make a Ghost floppy/CD with ghost on it.

10. Reboot with Ghost CD.

11. Take an image from DOS...not WINDOWS.

12. Reboot and log on to XP.

13. Install Chipset drivers 6.66 version, I guess, from nvidia website.

14. Install Graphics driver 77.xx version, I guess, from nvidia website.

**** IMPORTANT: Do NOT run anything else like LCDC, Virus scan software etc. while installing the drivers. ****

15. Reboot.

16. You should be ok. Be patient...go do something else for 20 minutes and come back to see what your PC is doing.

17. After 20 minutes, :) shut your PC down...wait... wait.... wait.... and turn it on.

18. If everything is fine...go back to bios and enable the stuff you disabled.

19. Log on to XP and install the drivers for other devices.

You now will be good to go. As step 20 I will make another image of the HDD incase I fubar. But, you should be okay. The steps I said may be too much as many would say, but I always like clean install on a clean HDD....and I keep all the CDs of my applications and I image my data regularly. :)

Thanks..I hope this helps.

Rex

I was thinking about doing a clean Windows install.

I'll give the 23/06/05 BIOS & the 77.50 drivers (which I was trying to install before) ago but I'll have to d/l the 6.66 (nice version number :) ) mobo drivers as I've only got the 6.39 chipset drivers.

I'll give the 23/06/05 BIOS & the 77.50 drivers (which I was trying to install before) ago but I'll have to d/l the 6.66 (nice version number :) ) mobo drivers as I've only got the 6.39 chipset drivers.

I'd definitely doing that before RMA'ing the board.

exactly...just follow the steps i outlined...improvise and you will be good. :-)

Well after two clean windows installs, BIOS update to the mobo & re-flashing the GPU's with the stock BIOS, I've finally got both GPU's working correctly :D

thanks everyone for the advice

Yay! Happy ending. Now go buy Ghost! Trust me :D