Sign in to follow this  
AstroCreep

Question - NF4 Ultra & XP-90

Hey guys,

I just received my stuff for my new system and I was slapping it all together and I ran into a question -

Is there a special way I need to mount the XP-90? It just seems that the clearance between the bottom of the cooler & the top of my vga is very slim - less than an inch.

Maybe I have the HS mounted worng, but when I was mounting it, it seemed like this was the only way it would fit (due to the top of the CPU socket being in the way); I have the side with the heatpipes facing the top (towards the DIMM slots) and the 'overhang' part facing down (toward the PCI/PCIe slots).

Is it okay the way it is?

Any info/help/insight would be appreciated.

THANKS! :)

I think most people (including myself) have the heatpipes face the bottom and have the heatsink hang over the RAM. The fan helps cool your RAM as well :)

I think most people (including myself) have the heatpipes face the bottom and have the heatsink hang over the RAM. The fan helps cool your RAM as well :)

That was what I was kinda wanting to do, but it seems that if I put the HS that way that part of the HS's surface is on top of that white-plastic 'panel' at the top of the CPU's ziff socket - it looks like it wouldn't make full contact on the CPU's surface.

Is that how yours is setup? Or did you maybe rotate the retention clips on the HS?

Thanks. ;)

That was what I was kinda wanting to do, but it seems that if I put the HS that way that part of the HS's surface is on top of that white-plastic 'panel' at the top of the CPU's ziff socket - it looks like it wouldn't make full contact on the CPU's surface.

Is that how yours is setup? Or did you maybe rotate the retention clips on the HS?

Thanks. ;)

it doesnt matter much that the HS surface is on top of the white plastic 'panel' u mentioned, as there is still an area of the heatsink base which covers the centre of the processor (where the heat is most concentrated arising from the CPU die). for my xp120 there is about 2mm of the proc which the base doesnt cover, but bios shows temps still running nice and cool. so no worries about placing the overhang of the xp90 over the rams :)

i actualyl have the pips by the ram...is it that big of a deal though.?

you should probably turn it around so that the overhand is over the memory and gives it (and the PWMIC area) some extra cooling.

you should probably turn it around so that the overhand is over the memory and gives it (and the PWMIC area) some extra cooling.

Are there any clearance problems in installing and removing RAM if the XP-90 is oriented this way?

I'm asking because I plan to build a system with and ZP-90 and 4 512MB sticks of TCC5 RAM, and I'm anticipating that I might well need to install and remove some of the sticks a few times. I'd rather not have to install and uninstall the heatsink each time I do this. For TCC5 RAM, is there even a need for extra cooling?

Are there any clearance problems in installing and removing RAM if the XP-90 is oriented this way?

I ened up swapping mine around and there were no problems with accessing the DIMMS; there's enough room to get in there under the HS's 'Over-hang', you just have to be careful. ;)

Two suckie things to update my thread with:

-Bank B (DIMMS 3 & 4) were bad. Have to RMA it to NewEgg. :(

-When removing the HS I bent the crap out of a whole row of pins on my CPU (pulled itself out of the socket when I removed the CPU). Double :(

I think I was able to get the pins put back alright though.

Anyone have experiences with bent pins? Did the CPU work okay after bending them back?

yes, just be careful not to break them. I was in a panic reading this thread cause I pulled the same trick myself. If straightened out it will still work good as new. I even had to have a guy (Garry Lee - www.motherboardrepair.com ) solder the pins back on to mine.

I did mine the other way so that the fan on the XP90 would be closer to the northbridge chip, which now has a passive heatsink on it. Works great, except I had to put my video card in slot PCIE4 (to clear the northbridge heatsink) and set the SLI bridge for SLI mode so PCIE4 would get 8 lanes of PCI-X instead of 2 lanes.

Nice and quiet, but my PCIE1 and PCIE2 slots are probably unusable.

If I was not going for the passive heatsink on the northbridge, I would have installed the XP90 the other way, with the pipes facing the video slot and the fan overhanging the RAM.