nF4-D: 4x512 stable at slight overclock but odd problems

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a minor update - my Antec TPII ended up being defective. After running my system nonstop for about 3 days, the fan died and shortly thereafter (just a couple minutes as I was closing things down to shut down the system) the unit died. Returned it to Fry's, got a new one, and am back up and running. I think that's the first time I've ever had a PSU die and it not take half of the box with it! But needless to say, didn't get much done last nite so I'll try again tonite.

Okay, so since the 4x512 was obviously a problem I decided to swap it out with some BH6 sticks to see what I can max things at. I'm still working on getting stable but it looks like it's going to be something similar to:

280MHz FSB

9x CPU Mult

3x HTT Mult

5:6 RAM Divider

1T, 2, 2, 2, 5

I'm not yet Prime stable but it is MemTest stable for about 10 passes at test #5. I'm stable enough to boot into Windows at least so I'm getting kinda close. I'd like to get close to 290x9 with my CPU but we'll see.

Just to follow up on the PSU, I'm now pretty sure that it didn't take anything out with it. That sure increases my opinion of Antec PSU's as I've never had a failed PSU not at least fry the RAM, CPU, or mobo!

I'll update you when I have a better idea at what I think I'll get stable. And once I figure out my max OC with this setup, I'll go back to the 4x512 sticks as I'd rather be running with 2GB than 1GB.

An update: I am now prime stable at 280MHz FSB (took quite a few volts to get it there). However, I'm reluctant to keep it there as it takes me over 1.64v to run it stably (despite my earlier posts that the CPU was never stable over 1.6v but I am guessing that may be due to my old bad PSU). Temps aren't a problem as at Prime load I am still under 45c. My concern is with the voltage that reads in the BIOS, CPU-Z, and SmartGuardian as 1.64v but I actually have it set as 1.3*1.33=1.729. I'm somewhat comfortable with 1.64v (not completely but somewhat) but I'm really not all that comfortable at all with 1.73v.

Just to restate, I'm running 6/23-2 and an Antech TruePowerII 480 and yes, I have all 4 power plugs plugged into the mobo (24-pin ATX, 4-pin near ATX, HDD/CDROM Molex, and Floppy Molex).

Could anybody offer some insight on what I should do here? Should I depend more on math or the sensors? Should I be concerned about my PSU or mobo? Perhaps it's a BIOS problem? Is there an exposed lead that would allow me to take a multimeter to this to measure it myself?

Ive tested vcore before.. When I set the bios to 1.325+126% it reads 1.62-1.64 in windows.. But with a multimeter it reads 1.67 which is right where it should be using the 1.325+126%.. So my guess is.. its probably what you are setting it to in bios and the programs are just not reading it right..

Although the only way to be sure is to check with a DMM..

Although the only way to be sure is to check with a DMM..

I've searched (though only quickly) and cannot find a reliable guide (or at least pictures) showing me where I need to test for it. You know where I need to check it at?

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, I'm back at maxxing this box again. Just replaced all of that Mushkin RAM with some Corsair TwinX2048 (2x1gb sticks) - the XMS3200C2 stuff (v1.2 - supposedly CH6 chips).

So far I'm unable to get memtest stable at 240MHz (1:1 with the RAM) and I have a feeling I can go well beyond that (appear to post fine at 270MHz). However, I'm not finding many people around here that has the 2x1gb kit so am having a hard time getting some good examples of all of my timings. I tried doing it manually with some conservative values based on the stickied Memory guide but that fails to be as stable as Optimized Defaults. My CPU does 2.5GHz fine and 2.6GHz if I crank up the voltage (was with BH6 sticks at 5:6) so I'm sure the RAM is the problem here.

Currently my settings are:

FSB: 240

LDT/FSB Ratio: x3

LDT Bus Transfer Width: 16,16

CPU/FSB Ration: x9

PCI eXpress: 100MHz

CnQ: Disable

CPU VID Startup: 1.475

CPU VID Control: 1.475

CPU VID Special Control: *1.04

LDT Voltage: 1.3v

Chipset Voltage: 1.6v

DRAM Voltage: 2.8v

DRAM +.03: Disable

DRAM Ratio: 1:1

CPC: Disable

TCL: 3.0

TRCD: 4

TRAS: 11

TRP: 4

TRC: 15

TRFC: 19

TRRD: 2

TWR: 2

TWTR: 2

TRWT: 3

TREF: 3120

TWCL: A

DRAM Bank Interleave: E

DQS Skew Control: A

DQS Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Strength: A

DRAM Data Drive Strength: A

Max Async Latency: A

DRAM Response Time: N

Read Preamble Time: A

IdleCycle Limit: 256

Dynamic Counter: D

R/W Queue Bypass: 16

Bypass Max: 7

32 Byte Granularity: D(4)

So with these being CH6 chips am I at my limit sticking around 230MHz even though I can post at 270MHz? I'm guessing not but would appreciate some feedback on this. :)

-Jax

DRAM Ratio: 1:1

CPC: Disable

TCL: 3.0

TRCD: 4

TRAS: 11

TRP: 4

TRC: 15

TRFC: 19

TRRD: 2

TWR: 2

TREF: 3120

TWCL: A

DRAM Bank Interleave: E

DQS Skew Control: A

DQS Skew Value: 0

DRAM Drive Strength: A

DRAM Data Drive Strength: A

Max Async Latency: A

DRAM Response Time: N

Read Preamble Time: A

IdleCycle Limit: 256

Dynamic Counter: D

R/W Queue Bypass: 16

Bypass Max: 7

32 Byte Granularity: D(4)

Well I dont know anything about that ram.. But those timings I bolded are so loose you'd be better running the ram on a divider so you can tighten them up if its possible.. I think the performance would be better..

But if you want to test it im gona suggest some changes that might help you..

TRRD: 3

TWR: 3

Max Async Latency: 8

Read Preamble Time: 5.5

Change just those for now and see if it helps.. Leave everything else where they are for now..

Two other settings that should not be on auto is DRAM Drive Strength and DRAM Data Drive Strength .. But without being familiar with your ram I wouldnt know where to start..You can try 7,5,3,8,6.. Those are the ones that work for most ram.. 1,2 and 4 are very rarely used..

GL..

Well I dont know anything about that ram.. But those timings I bolded are so loose you'd be better running the ram on a divider so you can tighten them up if its possible.. I think the performance would be better..

But if you want to test it im gona suggest some changes that might help you..

TRRD: 3

TWR: 3

Max Async Latency: 8

Read Preamble Time: 5.5

Change just those for now and see if it helps.. Leave everything else where they are for now..

Two other settings that should not be on auto is DRAM Drive Strength and DRAM Data Drive Strength .. But without being familiar with your ram I wouldnt know where to start..You can try 7,5,3,8,6.. Those are the ones that work for most ram.. 1,2 and 4 are very rarely used..

GL..

Thanks Thunda. I've made the changes you suggested and it's not helped - I still fail MemTest #5 at around 97% complete every time without exception (same problem I had before when I went over 230MHz). I'm still playing with the DRAM Drive Strength before I consider it a failure. (And yes I know some of those timings were overkill-loose - just trying to remove my timings as a limiting factor and will tighten them up once I know more about what the max clock I can reach is.)

Also, any thoughts on if CH6 chips like voltage or not? I'm currently at 2.8v and have tried a couple times upping it to 3.0v and it's not made any difference. I've done a bit of googling (though not much) and I've not had any luck thus far finding out what kind of voltage limit I should restrict myself to with these sticks.