Sign in to follow this  
xen

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra -TWEAKS

yea i always turn fast writes off by nature...

Fastwrites is like 1T. Sure it might cause some instability, but it is absolutely mandatory. Fastwrites is about a 10% performance hit in some benchmarks, and turning it off is LOLable.

Again, not to just say "mine works great," but mine is OF COURSE fastwrites on, 1T enabled, as they are essential. My 6800Ultra has never had this pausing you guys are talking about either, nor does 2T get me any better stability or overclock than 1T.

It is not an incompatability, figure it out, cause those are 2 really important settings. If you want to tweak the system for low performance, yeah, turn those off, but otherwise, 1T and FW are critical to performance.

Fastwrites is like 1T. Sure it might cause some instability, but it is absolutely mandatory. Fastwrites is about a 10% performance hit in some benchmarks, and turning it off is LOLable.

Again, not to just say "mine works great," but mine is OF COURSE fastwrites on, 1T enabled, as they are essential. My 6800Ultra has never had this pausing you guys are talking about either, nor does 2T get me any better stability or overclock than 1T.

It is not an incompatability, figure it out, cause those are 2 really important settings. If you want to tweak the system for low performance, yeah, turn those off, but otherwise, 1T and FW are critical to performance.

What chipset are you using, are you running an NF3? It is not really an option to leave it on on NF3s, it just does not work.

What chipset are you using, are you running an NF3? It is not really an option to leave it on on NF3s, it just does not work.

I have the LP DFI NF3 ULTRA-D, that's why I'm in here. It's not an option. LOL. Trust me, turning it off is not an option.

Specs for me right now:

DFI NF3 939

Venice 3200+ LBBLE 0516EPMW @ 2874 (9.5x 301)

OCz PC3200EL Rev3 @ 261Mhz 2.5-3-3-7 1T

EVGA 6800 Ultra @ 450/1100 (RAM can be clocked at 1325 before artifacts, but doesn't make any difference)

Thermalright XP-90 w/ 120mm Antec & 92mm Delta EHE

I have the LP DFI NF3 ULTRA-D, that's why I'm in here. It's not an option. LOL. Trust me, turning it off is not an option.

Specs for me right now:

DFI NF3 939

Venice 3200+ LBBLE 0516EPMW @ 2874 (9.5x 301)

OCz PC3200EL Rev3 @ 261Mhz 2.5-3-3-7 1T

EVGA 6800 Ultra @ 450/1100 (RAM can be clocked at 1325 before artifacts, but doesn't make any difference)

Thermalright XP-90 w/ 120mm Antec & 92mm Delta EHE

Hmmm craps out all over the place with FW on in my rig. I'll play some more, maybe restore the stock GCard bios and report back...

What DFI BIOS are you running?

^The 602 stock BIOS. If it aint broke, I don't fix it, and I've never had a problem with it.

Pausing for 5 seconds sounds like throttling to me, and since the temp threshold on any NV3xx or NV4xx is so high, it is likely voltage that is causing the throttle. Overclock the core by 3 mhz, and then run Aquamark3, and if it "pauses" check the core frequency reported at end of test, and see if it is lower than when you started the bench, and if it is, it throttled.

^The 602 stock BIOS. If it aint broke, I don't fix it, and I've never had a problem with it.

Pausing for 5 seconds sounds like throttling to me, and since the temp threshold on any NV3xx or NV4xx is so high, it is likely voltage that is causing the throttle. Overclock the core by 3 mhz, and then run Aquamark3, and if it "pauses" check the core frequency reported at end of test, and see if it is lower than when you started the bench, and if it is, it throttled.

Hmmm do you know how to take a backup of your GCards BIOS? If so would you fancy sending me a copy of it? The GT BIOS in this Gainy is flaky at best - I have used other Ultra BIOS' that were more stable for me but gave other issues. I wouldn't mind having a play with that EVGA BIOS ROM.

Hmmm do you know how to take a backup of your GCards BIOS? If so would you fancy sending me a copy of it? The GT BIOS in this Gainy is flaky at best - I have used other Ultra BIOS' that were more stable for me but gave other issues. I wouldn't mind having a play with that EVGA BIOS ROM.

The memory timing of the gt bios are tighter and can cause more artifacts and such when overclocked.

You are better off to edit your existing bios using Nibitor and change the core voltage from 1.3v to 1.4v.

This is the primary difference between the GT and the Ultra.

I edited my eVga 6800gt's bios and modded it to 6800 Ultra, then installed a NV-5 which helped with temps. The card ran like that for 8 months till I recently bought the NF3-ultra D, I started getting lots of 5 sec lockups so I left the core at 1.4v but changed the speeds from 400/1100 back down to 350/1000. I now use COOLBITS inside windows to O/C the card, seems way more stable, no lockups or artifacts. It's really a pity that we have to disable fast writes with the 6800 series cards, I bet that they would fly if we could run with fastwrites on :(

i get pausing regardless of stock or oc'ed speeds... this is with it off. i will try it on inna few seconds...

Encase anyone has this problem,

An app, particularly Counter Strike Source for me, was BSODing for an unkown reason giving a

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL_THAN

BSOD halt.

Turned out after I pretty much tried everything else, to be a Sound Driver incompatibility with a newer verson od the ac97 driver from Realteks website.

Uninstalled and used the one from the CD completely fixed the issue.

Table of Tref Values and Equivalents

(taken from 8/15 BIOS - second values read from A64 Tweaker V0.31)

Tref - 1552 - 100 15.6us

Tref - 2064 - 133 15.6us

Tref - 2592 - 166 15.6us

Tref - 3120 - 200 15.6us

Tref - 776 - 100 3.9us

Tref - 1032 - 133 3.9us

Tref - 1296 - 166 3.9us

Tref - 1560 - 200 3.9us

Tref - 338 - 100 15.6us

Tref - 516 - 133 15.6us

Tref - 648 - 166 15.6us

Tref - 780 - 200 15.6us

Whilst checking each value I also benched Memory Bandwidth to see if there was any effect. Highest bandwidth was observed with a setting of 1552 but there was very little in it, 158 MB/s being the difference between the highest and the lowest result, which could easily just be the natural variance of a synthetic bandwidth test.