Sign in to follow this  
xen

DFI Lanparty S939 NF3 Ultra -TWEAKS

Not to brownnose or anything but vlad's tips on memory dividers, singelhandedly fixed my stability issues at 270htt I had no idea the memory timings change when set to 166, or 133 in bios.

I love this board... it is everything that i assumed it would be. The only con... too many options as i am still messsing around with sock bios and havent even gotten to 705 let alone 711.

Angry_Games had mentioned it takes time to fully test a board, and i definitely agree with him. Too many people like to dive right in and say, F the guides, stickies, and 100+ prev posts.

I think a requirement before posting about the DFI NF3 s939 is to read all 3000+ posts. Should take you about 3 days and after that, you wont need to ask 90% of the questions you would have had you not read.

Not to brownnose or anything but vlad's tips on memory dividers, singelhandedly fixed my stability issues at 270htt I had no idea the memory timings change when set to 166, or 133 in bios.

I love this board... it is everything that i assumed it would be. The only con... too many options as i am still messsing around with sock bios and havent even gotten to 705 let alone 711.

Angry_Games had mentioned it takes time to fully test a board, and i definitely agree with him. Too many people like to dive right in and say, F the guides, stickies, and 100+ prev posts.

I think a requirement before posting about the DFI NF3 s939 is to read all 3000+ posts. Should take you about 3 days and after that, you wont need to ask 90% of the questions you would have had you not read.

Well isn't that was this thread is for though? Despite there being minor details put throughout the massive thread, the idea of this one is to pretty much just get all the data for everyone, put it in a format that's easy to comprehend, so that they won't have to ask these questions or go through 3000+ posts, a lot of which are quite irrelevant.

It's been said time and time again - DFI boards are not set-and-forget type boards. Using the Auto setting for everything will probably (and hopefully) work when at stock, but problematic is an understatement when using Auto settings when OCing.

Hopefully when moving from the stock 602 BIOS to other BIOSes I won't have to retest everything from the ground up again. Like you xen I haven't finished setting up and playing with even the stock BIOS - being the only one so far that has worked for me without stuffing up in some way.

I'll be giving the 711 BIOS a go tomorrow hopefully (well, today since it's now 4:15AM here) and i'm hoping it'll give better results than 705 did. I think i'll do things in this order once it's flashed

Flash -> Clear CMOS and remove battery -> Load optimised defaults -> Load windows -> Reboot -> Load windows -> Reboot -> change one setting and cross my fingers.

We'll see..

---dens

Im new here but would like to give my share of fixes for this mobo. First impression was amazing running stock 602 bios using a 3000+ winnie and 2x512 PC4000 Ballistix. When I made the jump to an 4400+ x2 and 4x512 (2GB) Ballistix then all went to hell. I was part of the crowd that never got the 705 bios to work. For me, it would never save let alone POST half the time, so i downgraded back to 602. Currently on the 711 bios but HAD the same initial problems. Heres my fix to help any of you in the same boat.

1.) Loaded optimal defaults, and changed ram volts to 2.8 for my ballistix

2.) Flashed using a floppy made from the .exe (7.11) poweroff then clear CMOS

3.) Loaded optimal defaults and saved after restart (still couldnt get ANYTHING to save)

4.) Loaded XP on a spare IDE (non-raid) drive

5.) Flashed using Winflash with every single option checked (same bios 7.11)

6.) Poweroff to clear CMOS, Power on, loaded optimal, saved

7.) Turn off PC to UNPLUG my 2x75gb Raptor drives (used for raid)

8.) ENABLED raid + any settings I used to use or would like, Save...

9.) Poweroff, PLUG IN other drives + SATA raid

10.) Go into BIOS and set the raid array as the first drive

11.) Have yourself a drink (Hurricane recommended) lol

Most important for me was:

1.) Reflashing after the initial floppy flash in windows with all options checked

2.) To enable RAID, I had to unplug my drives before I could save (would get stuck in infinite reset loop if not)

3.) Clear CMOS after every flash (floppy + winflash)

4.) DO NOT SET TIME IN BIOS!

Hope that helps anyone. My system works like a charm now and When comparing readings with my Fluke multimeter, they seem a little more accurate than before.

It's been said time and time again - DFI boards are not set-and-forget type boards. Using the Auto setting for everything will probably (and hopefully) work when at stock, but problematic is an understatement when using Auto settings when OCing.

---dens

haha who you telling. auto settings def put a couple roadblocks in my quest for a sick OC. Also i wasn't really serious about reading the whole thread first. Its hard to "emoticon-ize" a half laugh, half serious, half not serious joke.

BEWARE OF AUTO SETTINGS lol!

Oh yea I added oldGuy's info on arctic coolers dealing with clearance issues. Organized some of the data more. I included the A64 OC'in guide that explains alot of things including why you shouldn't use half memory dividers.

No...Booster takes up two slots. Leaves you stuck with slots one and two if you use XP-120 or XP-90...

Have you ever heard of a DIMM extender(booster on top of it)? Will it work with that?

Tom

Im new here but would like to give my share of fixes for this mobo. First impression was amazing running stock 602 bios using a 3000+ winnie and 2x512 PC4000 Ballistix. When I made the jump to an 4400+ x2 and 4x512 (2GB) Ballistix then all went to hell. I was part of the crowd that never got the 705 bios to work. For me, it would never save let alone POST half the time, so i downgraded back to 602. Currently on the 711 bios but HAD the same initial problems. Heres my fix to help any of you in the same boat.

1.) Loaded optimal defaults, and changed ram volts to 2.8 for my ballistix

2.) Flashed using a floppy made from the .exe (7.11) poweroff then clear CMOS

3.) Loaded optimal defaults and saved after restart (still couldnt get ANYTHING to save)

4.) Loaded XP on a spare IDE (non-raid) drive

5.) Flashed using Winflash with every single option checked (same bios 7.11)

6.) Poweroff to clear CMOS, Power on, loaded optimal, saved

7.) Turn off PC to UNPLUG my 2x75gb Raptor drives (used for raid)

8.) ENABLED raid + any settings I used to use or would like, Save...

9.) Poweroff, PLUG IN other drives + SATA raid

10.) Go into BIOS and set the raid array as the first drive

11.) Have yourself a drink (Hurricane recommended) lol

Most important for me was:

1.) Reflashing after the initial floppy flash in windows with all options checked

2.) To enable RAID, I had to unplug my drives before I could save (would get stuck in infinite reset loop if not)

3.) Clear CMOS after every flash (floppy + winflash)

4.) DO NOT SET TIME IN BIOS!

Hope that helps anyone. My system works like a charm now and When comparing readings with my Fluke multimeter, they seem a little more accurate than before.

Bios 711 config with raid :: walkthrough

-----------------------------------------

- make floppy bios flash disk with bootable dos disk made in xp,

copy bios.bin, awardflash.exe, autoexec.bat

- restart

- go into bios before flash, load optimized defaults save/exit

- flash bios, press F1 when done (take out floppy)

- DO NOT Clear Cmos

- let the post go all the way through to where you get the cmos checksum error, turn off machine

- disconnect sata drives 3,4 from the board.

- add a ide formatted blank, non bootable hard drive to ide1 with a ribon cable

- add the cdrom drive to ide2 (if not already there)

- power on board let post go all the way to non-bootable partition message

- press reset (reboot), press delete, go into bios

(when in bios DO NOT Load Optimized Defaults)

- go into:

Advanced Chipset Features -> Genie Bios

- set these:

Cpu Freq = 200 (or your stock)

HammerFid = 11 (or your multi)

Agp Overclodk = 67 (or 68)

HT Frequency = 3x

AMD K8 Cool n' Quiet = Disable

CPU VID Control = VID pass mode

CPU Voltage Adjusting = +.2

Memory Voltage Control = 2.7v (minimum)

- go into:

Advanced Chipset Features -> Genie Bios -> DRAM Configuration

- set these:

(note - set all your near finalmemory timings as if you were going to overclock now,

except divider and cpc, but you have to set something, can't take Auto)

Max Memclock = Auto

1T/2T Memory Timing = 2T

(Tcl) CAS# latency = 2.5

(Trcd)RAS# to #CAS delay = 4

(Tras)Min RAS# = 7

(Trp) Row precharge = 3

(Trfc)Row Refresh Time = 14

(Trc) Row cycle time = 11

DDR DQ drive strength = 50% reduction if using tccd and Rev E chip (Auto otherwise)

- Save Settings and exit (do not power down)

- let post go all the way to non-bootable partition message

- go into:

Advance Bios Features

- set these (it is important that these take and you are able to post after this):

First Boot Device = Floppy

Second Boot Device = CDRom

Third Boot Device = Hard Drive

Boot other device = yes

- go into:

Integrated Peripherals -> RAID Config

- set this:

IDE RAID = Enable

- go into:

Integrated Peripherals -> RAID Config

- set this:

Enable SATA2 only (bottom 2 items)

- go into:

Integrated Peripherals -> IDE Function Setup

- set this:

Serial ATA 2 (internal PHY) = Enabled

SATA2 DMA transfer = Enable

- TURN OFF MACHINE

- Plug in your 2 sata cables/drives to ports 3 & 4

- Power ON machine.

- go into:

Advance Bios Features -> Hard Disk Boot Priority

- set this:

Move SCSI Raid array to top of list with the PgUp button

- go into:

Integrated Peripherals -> IDE Function Setup

- set this:

Init Display First = AGP

If you have a previous os on the raid array it should boot up now.

If not you have to press F10, create the array, install the os, etc...

- Exit windows (shutdown) after it installs some periperial drivers

- Power off then on

- Press delete, go into bios

- Finish setting/disabling any super io devices you don't want

- go into (here is where you set your past stable cpu oc settings):

Advanced Chipset Features -> Genie Bios

- set these (overclock cpu):

Cpu Freq = 260 (or your oc)

HammerFid = 10 (or your multi)

(can adjust voltages here too, higher if you will oc (not lower))

- go into:

Advanced Chipset Features -> Genie Bios -> DRAM Configuration

- set these:

Max Memclock = 166 (or your divider)

1T/2T Memory Timing = 1T (or your cmd rate)

- Exit windows (shutdown)

- Power off wait a little

- Power on

--- finito ---

wtf....cold boot issues not confirmed?

Just coz you havent noticed it...doesnt mean it doesnt exist....take some of your own advice and read the complte thread instead of the 1 or 2 pages you must have read to come to that conclusion.

Haha I missed that one actually. When people refer to the cold boot prob with this board, are they referring to the whole "Safe Mode" thing with CPUs or is it something else?

With the 602 BIOS I always have to do this on a cold boot:

-Wait til the PC POSTs with Safe Mode on

-Go into BIOS

-Quit BIOS

-Boot into windows.

This is what i've had to do pretty much since I started OCing with this board. Annoying but it's less frustrating than getting 705/711 working for me.

---dens

Awsome guide dudes. I've only just got this board but thanks to the guide, I've been able to get my week 18 venice up to 300x9 stable. Just need to work on my ram. I looked at the voltage guides and suspect that I'm not quite getting 3.2v from the bios. MBM reports 3.15 max -I also noticed that when I run memtest, vdimm volts fluctuate pretty badly. Sometimes dropping to 2.99. I'm hoping a ddr booster will fix things up for me although I'm worried about my PSU not having a -5v line. I've had no cold boot issues but still no luck booting with 1T.

So apart from some pesky RAM issues, this is an awesome board.

Just out of curiosity, all the pictures of this board that I see have alternate coloured RAM slots. I've even seen people refer to using slots 1&3/2&4 etc. My slots are 2 x orange and 2 x yellow - is that the same for everyone else? I'm using the slots closest to the CPU because my ram has no sinks and to get a booster to fit under my zalman 7000cu would be a bit fiddly :)

bb

I have the right to critisize *as you call it*as I have contributed to the bloated thread on this m/b. In fact Im helping several people who have PM'd me reguarding their similar setups and how to get them near my performance. The cold boot prob exactly like Dens has described is reported all the way through that large thread. Because you *know* several people who dont have this ailment, does not make it less annoying.

My original post in this thread was to point out that it had not been noted, even though Dens, the main contributor to this thread suffers this problem. What I was eluding to , was that mention could be made to note that the 602 has prevalent cold boot probs which was adressed for a lot of people with later bios's but sometimes at the expense of reliability.

Dens I will leave this up to you to include if think its worth while, obviously if it doesnt effect xen, then I doubt he has the inclination of making the effort to include.

Btw...this thread is coming along nicely...Im hoping future bios upgrades will make threads like this not neccesary :)

PS btw zen where did you think the information came from that you have in your guide? The confirmation of 3.6v with the DDR Booster and compatability with VX4000 was supplied by .....

Thanks for the contribution. :D Also thanks for confirming what I was wondering about - I had a feeling that the cold boot I experienced was the only one people had with this board, but I didn't know for sure. At least there aren't any vDimm coldboot problems like on the NF4.

I really couldn't have put what you have said much better. If I was able to edit the first post i'd do it in a heartbeat, but alas, I can't ;) At least the 705/711 BIOSes have cured their cold boot probs for some. Guess i'll just need to wait until one comes out that allows me to change the chipset voltage.

Maybe I should get some better chipset cooling while i'm at it. I don't feel safe bumping up the voltage on it with the tiny sink on there...

Just out of curiosity, all the pictures of this board that I see have alternate coloured RAM slots. I've even seen people refer to using slots 1&3/2&4 etc. My slots are 2 x orange and 2 x yellow - is that the same for everyone else? I'm using the slots closest to the CPU because my ram has no sinks and to get a booster to fit under my zalman 7000cu would be a bit fiddly :)

Yeah just use the 2x orange slots :) Currently i'm testing the Yellow slots on mine to see if I can run 1T or if I can even attain the same or possibly higher OC using these slots. So far it's all been the same, just I haven't gotten around to doing 1T testing.

I know it's kinda confusing with the whole 1/3 & 2/4 thing, but I think most people would/should refer to them in terms of colour :) With boosters and large heatsinks, you don't have much choice, as you no doubt have found out!

---dens

DIMMs 2+4 (the yeller ones) got me an extra 35Mhz on the RAM, and an extra 65Mhz (345Mhz) HTT at 1T.

A 1T command rate cannot be compromised. I can't believe that anyone could tolerate using 2T. Running 3-4-4-9 1T is better than 2-3-2-6 2T, and it is a major loss in all apllications. Definitely it is worth finding some settings that allow for 1T at high speeds, cause 2T is simply horrible performance.

1T is a must.