Damn, I must be crazy. Looking for a new gaming monitor

Guest Kronos_merged

Guest Kronos

I agree that LCDs are the wave of the future. (near future at least) I also think that in order for LCDs to ever compete with CRTs while gaming, there is going to have to be a huge leap forward in technology. Even a 1MS LCD won't stand up to a mid to highend CRT.

I purchased my DELL 1905 because review sites and end-user reviewers all raved on how well games looked on it. I love using the monitor for surfing on my 2ndary PC, but I'm a CRT man for gaming.

Thus my purchase of the 24" SONY GDM- FW900 A review of the monitor

I do although look for to the day I can use an LCD to gaming and say to myself "Damn, that looks as good as a CRT" I would assume this will be 2+ years in the future.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Kronos
Let us know how it looks. I remember when I got mine. My poor UPS guy could barly lift it.

I will give a brief review of the monitor. The monitor is being delivered via Freight to my doorstep to make sure it doesn't get knocked around. Then I have to carry down 12 steps to my basement and then about 25ft to the desk and finally up 3ft to the desktops surface. (I can just picture my desktop moaning under the strain) I'm going to drag the monitor to the desk and then burst a hernia lifting it up to the desktop. I can't wait! :drool:

And then I hope never to move the thing until it dies or I replace it.

I have seen the future of display technology and it is OLED.

The IBM OLED Medical Display it unbelievable. The images are so detailed with over 9 million pixels that they can be a little unsettling.

I will give a brief review of the monitor. The monitor is being delivered via Freight to my doorstep to make sure it doesn't get knocked around. Then I have to carry down 12 steps to my basement and then about 25ft to the desk and finally up 3ft to the desktops surface. (I can just picture my desktop moaning under the strain) I'm going to drag the monitor to the desk and then burst a hernia lifting it up to the desktop. I can't wait! :drool:

And then I hope never to move the thing until it dies or I replace it.

If they use as much packing as they did for mine take it out of the box if you move it yourself. Hold it by under the edges with the face to you it is the only way to move something that big.

Guest Kronos

I just got done hooking up my new'ish 24" GDM FW900 and all I can say is WOW. The is a huge step up from my Viewsonic Ultrabright A90F+. I've tested BF2 at 1920X1200 and Half-Life 2 at 1900X1200 16:10 ratio. Both games looked stunning at those resolutions. Crisp clear and nice and bright. I currently have my desktop set to 1920X1200 and I can actually read stuff on the screen without squiinting. I had to run my 19" at 1280X1024 to say the same.

I need to take some time to give AccurateIT some props for sending me an amazingly clean monitor. I see no scratches on the screen or any of the plastic. No wear or tear signs anywhere, it looks and performs like it is a brand new monitor. Also, I ordered it Thursday and took delivery this morning. I was very worried about purchasing a large refurbished monitor , but I now know that this was a great investment. A+ in my book.

Lastly, the monitor didn't seem too heavy at all. Once it was out of the gigantic box it was shipped in, it was cake to carry downstairs and place it on the desk.

Thanks for the review if more games start fupporting wide screen I will have to take a hard look at the 24 in. I am hoping to skip LCD entirly for whatever comes next like DDR2 unless they make a big jump in performance.

I would highly recommend the one in my signature. It is not LCD, but it is "flat-screen". It has an "ultra brite" mode, which is useful in games, and movies. It does 1600x1200 @ 87Hz, and 2048x1536 @ 68Hz. At lower esolutions, it goes up to 150Hz. I bought mine new about 3 years ago for $265. Here is the link to manufacturer. http://www.viewsonic.com/support/desktopdi...plusb/index.htm

Ohh,..I see now they must be discontinued. Oh well, you said used or refurbished, so maybe you can find one. If you go Viewsonic, which I think is a good choice, then get either the graphics or professional series.

Well, since I couldn't afford a Dell 2001FP, I've been using my new Sony G520p for the last few hours... it's really nice, but the text isn't razer-sharp like on the 2001FPs using DVI I previewed before buying this one.

1600x1200@100Hz is awesome for gaming on this thing though. :)