Sign in to follow this  
jeremywills

what do you think of the ThermalRight SI 97A

What you have to watch is some of that stuff is its permanent, so once its on there theres no getting it off...

Some guys do a mix of the adhesive stuff and standard thermal paste. Didn't you do that Playah? Alumina & Ceramique?

i've opted against the adhesive stuff, actually if you have seen my other post I think either my DVDRW is going bad or Im just not having much luck with the board, I might be doing the A64 thing and so why bother putting that thing on permanetly if I dont keep the board

Yeah it's best to wait and see what you're going to do,I did use a mix and should be easier to get off if need be

you can use Nanotherm silver and nanotherm epoxy just mix them all 1:1 or even Artic silver and Artic epoxy...It will remain rubbery and just come right off with a little help;) I have done this abunch....

Time for an update, the SI97A has arrived :) Its the first experience for me with a Thermalright product and just the way this was packaged I was impressed. Very good sturdy plain brown box, with the good stuff closed cell foam, its essentially just like the SI97 with the original Socket A clip. The difference between the A revision and the first SI97 is that thermalright has drilled just a small hole on the top of the heatpipe base and included a clip retention bracket resembling the stock AMD lock down type for the A64 socket types. It will utilize the existing DFI socket lockout area retention bracket. So that means you dont have to remove anything off the mobo, just grease, seat, and a swing the clip handle into place, you can swap the stock HSF if your still using it for this without mobo removal out of the case. The bad part as I was hoping it might have some sort of 4 hole pattern screws is that if you intend to remove the IHS it might not make good enough contact with the top of the chip. Now I guess if your creative you might be able to put a small object, im thinking a penny or a dime, or even a nickel as a shim for the difference? Without an A64 board yet and without having a non IHS chip Im just speculating there. Ok, back to what I have, the Ultra Infinity. Well I need to shutdown and install this Biatch :)

Ill update as soon as I have it installed and up and running. BTW also my first hands on with a Panaflo fan, so far Im impressed with this as well. Ok, Ill report back as soon as its in place. I think Ill only be looking at Thermalrights in the future if this puppy works out. Wish me luck

mine didnt come with any shims. its supposed to use the 4 little thingie mabobers on top of cpu for balance. lol couldnt remember names for them.. Thingies sounded kewler!

yes sir it did and I wouldnt recommend skipping that step, Im going to start a new thread as theres some VERY IMPORTANT Sistah's issues I think people should be aware of and as courtesy I shall want them right at the top of the post

Ill let this thread die so please no more responses to this post and please READ the new one, Ill provide a link here as soon as I have it done in a few mins.

Cheers all