A7n8x: Settings To Make A 2500 Barton 3200 Barton

I ordered a A7N8X Deluxe mobo and a 2500 Barton processor a few days ago. I'm trying to round up the info I'll need to overclock it to run like a Barton 3200, 400 FSB and all. I'll be using a single stick of Corsair 512 low latency ram, so I really have no choice but to o/c the processors bus for optimum performance. :D What bios settings would I configure and change to do this? I'm getting an SLK-800(A) w/ 80 mm ultra speed panaflo fan, so it will be well cooled (for an air cooled system). So what should I do?

you will need to lower the multiplier to 11x and then up the fsb to 200. Do this in small increments of 1-5 fsb and then test in prime95 or something that stresses your cpu. If your cpu fails test you will need to up the vcore. Then all you do is repeat this process till u get to the desired speed. Or you can just set it at 11x 200fsb and crank the vcore up to 1.85v but thats not really safe..

you want to up the front side bus in small amounts and burn it in after each jump for atleast a couple of hours

burning in is the process of stressing you processor to make sure it is stable at the speed you are runningFAQ

i have had outstanding luck as have others with that combination! It should do 11X200 out of the box with standard V-core, everyone I have talked to lately has had that kind of success.

I  have had outstanding luck as have others with that combination! It should do 11X200 out of the box with standard V-core, everyone I have talked to lately has had that kind of success.

agreed... can get mine cruising a lot fasater then that. but yea 11 x 200 should not be a problem if your purchasing a Barton 2500 now (my opinion), although when i had it at that i upped the voltage to 1.75 just so the cpu was happy.

also with your A7N8X Deluxe and that XMS ram you have nothing to worry about if that is your target. that motherboard if you OC too much will not give you any troubles and you can just bring it down... for the money i dont think there is a better deal... unless you throw in another 200 and get a P2.4c.

Thanx. I see how to manipulate the FSB and multiplier now. I'll prolly do what was said earlier on in this post. Lower the multiplyer, and up the FSB by increments of 4 and run Prime95 for a few hours aftereach increase till I get to the speed I want. Then I'll do at least a day of burn in w/ Prime95 to be sure. I still don't understand voltage though. What is a safe voltage? If my CPU fails the Prime95 test one of these times, how much should I up the voltage?

Just up the voltage one increment, most BIOS'z go up in .025 increments so if you're at 1.7v the next increment is 1.725. The 2500+ stock voltage is 1.65 so the next jump is 1.675 then 1.7, 1.725...etc. I have seen 2500+ at 1.85v with air cooling but I wouldn't recommend it unless your temps are really low. It all really depends on your CPU temps, if they're within reasonable limits then you can up your voltage. I won't move mine past 1.75 just because it doesn't really give me that much more performance.