Questions about adding more ram to NF4 Ultra-D

Now that I have everything dialed in and working on my new AMD system, Im considering additional ram. I can pick up another 1gb of the same stuff im presently using (CORSAIR TWINX1024-3200XLPT TCCD -2 x 512MB) for cheap on NewEgg.

My questions are

1. Are there really compatability issues with adding ram to the other two slots?

2. How much will it affect my settings/timings?

3. Are the benefits worth the trouble?

Any feedback would be most welcome!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. there can be...Corsair + DFI boards dont seem to get along...but you SHOULDNT have a problem if you set Command Per Clock to 2T BEFORE you insert the other 2 sticks.

2. it shouldnt. I can run 2-2-5-2 with 2x512 BH-5, or 2-3-5-2 with 2x512 TCCD...when i stick in the extra 2 sticks on either (4x512 BH-5 or 4x512 TCCD) i only disable CPC and it still runs at 2-2-5-2/2-3-5-2

3. thats something only you can answer. Since i stepped up 3 machines to 2GB, ive found that i didnt even need the cpu overclock anymore, and dropped them all back to stock speeds. BF2 and Photoshop are much smoother...other than that....I don't notice any difference (i dont count benchmark numbers as a difference...i count what i can notice/feel myself as the difference)

Thanks, Angry

-I'll give it a shot. Though it took some time to get my settings stable, I haven't had any issue with Corsair ram in this board. However, I would feel quite frustrated if I bought the additional sticks and started to see problems...

I'm probably being over-cautious. I'll catch them while they're still available

Cheers

honestly the best bet is to either purchase all 4 sticks at once from the same vendor at the same time...or just sell them and move to 2x1024 modules ;)

or buy the extra kit that you want and try it (they MUST have the same SPD settings as the kit you already have or it will not recognize them propery).

thanks

-i just bought the exact same kit (same part #, same timings, etc) from newegg a few weeks ago when i built this box. -so i would think that it should be the same stuff...

Otherwise, what do you think about this OCZ stuff?

thanks

-i just bought the exact same kit (same part #, same timings, etc) from newegg a few weeks ago when i built this box. -so i would think that it should be the same stuff...

Otherwise, what do you think about this OCZ stuff?

ive got a kit of that coming monday or tuesday. good stuff. I had a kit that i tested on a customer's rig and it was top notch stuff. I didnt get a chance to overclock it because i'd had his rig for almost 8 weeks fooling with it, but the kit that is coming is MINE and i will be doing some testing all-around with it. '

it does work though, i know that much from testing it myself when i had it.

I too am going to add another gig of memeory to my system.

Angry, is it possible to overclock the 4 dimms to overcome the performance drop caused by using 1T?

This is assuming that the 4 dimms can overclock of course...