Sign in to follow this  
blink182prj

No Ethernet (Marvell or nVidia) after 6.66 Driver Installation

Last night I installed, most likely incorrectly, the 6.66 nForce chipset drivers. I immediately lost all functionality in my two ethernet ports. So, I uninstalled the drivers, went into safe mode, ran driver cleaner, and reinstalled the new drivers. Still did not work. I then tried rolling back the drivers on the nVidia ethernet port, the one I am using, to the previous drivers but this did not help. In desperation, I did a system restore to the point before I installed the drivers, but still no luck.

Any ideas about what I should do? I have loaded optomized settings in the BIOS, but I don't think that changed any of the ethernet settings.

Do a network adapter repair (control panel --> network connection --> right mouse click on the network adapter you use).

Guest Slack

Every time i install chipset drivers it always errors on the LAN... i always end up sticking the CD that came with the MoBo in and on the screen, installing the LAN part. Works for me, though is not the best solution I guess.

Reboot and immediately after the BIOS logo screen disappears, hit F8 a few times to get the Windows Advanced menu. Choose Last Known Good Configuration and hit Enter. Choose a time and date from the list prior to installing the 6.66 upgrade and hit Enter (or just hit Enter if there's no list to choose from). The OS will wind itself back to the last time it worked properly.

just installed 6.66 nforce 4 chipset driver have not problem at all

A bit off topic perhaps, but if you go to Start --> Run, type eventvwr.msc, click OK and then go to the System category, are there any Event ID 51 records occurring before you installed the v6.66 upgrade and did they reappear afterwards at all?

sounds like the same issue we saw when Nvidia went from 6.37 drivers (LAN works perfect) to 6.39 drivers (everyone had to use the 6.37 drivers for LAN since 6.39's hosed it)

OK, thank you all for the suggestions. I will treat them each seperately:

1. I have repaired both ethernet connections multiple times to no avail. The odd thing is that while the nVidia port cannot even get an IP, the Marvell one can. However, neither one will allow me to connect to the internet.

2. I will try right now installing the LAN drivers on the DFI CD.

3. I doubt I need to do a last good configuration bootup because I already have system restored back toa point before the driver installation. I will try it anyway though.

4. Worm, I don't think your comment was intended for me, but I had some Event ID 51 errors about two weeks ago and then a whole bunch today well after I installed the drivers.

5. A_G, I have tried rolling back to the old drivers and they don't work either now, which really confuses me.

I will report back any progress. At this point, I haven't ruled out a bad WAP, but it seems odd that the WAP would happen to fail at the exact moment I installed the new drivers.

The problem is actually with the Firewall software. I happened to me too but as soon as I removed the Firewall software, the two network cards started working perfectly

Jorge

Unfortunately, that it is not it either. I have tried both using and not using NAM and the Firewall, to no avail either way. I am now thinking that maybe it is my WAP. Is there any way I can test my ethernet ports to see if they are working properly?