Sign in to follow this  
superflyguy

Advice Needed For My New Rig....

The 850 pro only has 12 pixel pipelines...go for 16. Even the x800 XL will beat the x850 pro in most benchmarks and games, and it is clocked much lower. If you can, get an x800 XT or an x850 XT...I just picked up an x850 XT w/ an Arctic Cooling ATI Silencer 5 for $310 on ebay. Three months old, but can't beat the price.

I have this in my system and they are rock solid so far 2 x1gb sticks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820227210

Hey Xguy

That certainly looks like a decent cooler. My problem is I'm in the UK, I haven't seen that cooler over here yet. I checked ya rig, looking sweet!!! Did you manage to get it up no bother? Any problems when building?

The 850 pro only has 12 pixel pipelines...go for 16. Even the x800 XL will beat the x850 pro in most benchmarks and games, and it is clocked much lower.

I'm going for the 850Pro on the basis I can flash the bios to enable the 16 pipelines. Did that with my last card, an 9800 into a 9800Pro. Noticed you've got the AC colling on ya 850, did you fit this yourself? If the ebay seller is willing to post to the UK then I'd certainly be up for getting one of their cards. If not hten in two minds wether to just go for the 7800 - but it is twice the price of the 850Pro. Hmm... :rolleyes:

7800 is twice the price, but basically twice the performance...if you can afford it, you won't have to upgrade for a long time. As for the Silencer...no, I didn't mount it...the previous owner had already put it on for me. By the way...a lot of sellers on ebay will ship to the UK for a few bucks more, but you'll have to look for a while to get one as cheap as 310...took me about a week and a half of frequent checking. Hope that helps.

Hey Folks

Check the sig for what I settled for in the end. Could'nt install WinXp+Sp2 so had to use WinXp+Sp1 cd then update to Sp2. Runs smooth, just what I wanted for FPS (CS:SOURCE ;) ) Cheers for the advice though, saved a hole lot of hassle by intel(!) gathering on this site. :nod: