Longhorn Beta 1

Katch

Just thought I'd open a Longhorn thread. The beta is due to drop on the 27th and I guess at least some of us will be trying to get a look see.

http://www.flexbeta.net/main/comments.php?...&shownews=13839

Must admit the leaked screenies look tasty, I'll try and update this with info as and when I find it and my own experiences of the beta when I get it.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hardware requirements are a bit stiff and you better have a current video card to go with it.

The OS won't install all of the interface bells and whistles unless you have at least an nVidia 6600GT or ATI equivelant and above.

I haven't been able to make it crash yet but I'm still trying things. I was able to get it to lock up running a DB query while encoding video but it closed both apps without losing any data.

I'm gonna try installing the full Adobe Acrobat app which has some known problems with a medical billing program we support.

Filemaker Pro will be another good test.

Can someone tell me how stable is longhorn right now? a test the 4007 a long time ago in my old pc P4 2.2 ,512Mb DDR ,64 mb, 80gb and is was slow maybe right now is moving a bit faster and more stable

wOw, the desktop is looking increasingly more like the interactice Apple desktop.... After what... 5 years? I was hoping for something a bit....better.

I have read that mac has plans for releasing an os for pc's in the near future. Seems very likely as macs will be sporting intel cpu's in 2006.

I do like the look of longhorn, did ms keep the file finding system in the os? wfs, (windows file system) supposed to find files on the hd as fast as google can find info on the net.

The WFS is removed from the version I have. It runs on NTFS.

I have read that mac has plans for releasing an os for pc's in the near future. Seems very likely as macs will be sporting intel cpu's in 2006.

I do like the look of longhorn, did ms keep the file finding system in the os? wfs, (windows file system) supposed to find files on the hd as fast as google can find info on the net.